• This topic has 7 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by LMT.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Riding eyewear that doesn't cut face in event of fall
  • rrollins
    Free Member

During Sunday's Evans Ride It event in the North Downs, I came off on the last fast descent (typical) and hit my head – hard; resulting in a trip to a hospital's Max Fax dept (not Debenhams) to restore my good looks 😉 by stitches above and below my right eye where the lens of my Rudy Projects had presumably cut my face. Luckily my MTB survived the ordeal unscathed. Many thanks to the folks that administered first aid and walked me down the hill to the support vehicle.

So, wondering if there is any such thing as riding eyewear designed to bend or deform rather than potentially cut the face in the event of a fall?

roundwheels
    Free Member

Mtfu Chicks dig scars

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Safety glasses? having said that I think my bolle safety glasses would cut you in a fall at the wrong angle.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Glasses with a full frame rather than exposed lower edge on the lenses have got to be better from this point of view.

aP
    Free Member

Nearly two years ago I had a rather unfortunate run in on a ride which involved me going down the road at about 30 mph on my face. I could see the road underneath my left eye going past very fast.
    I had 7 stitches around my left eye caused by the prescription inserts of my Rudy Project cycling glasses.
    I can still see, I quite like that.

Admittedly my optician was apoplectic that I didn't have my eyes checked for retinal detachment at A&E, but after I'd come to terms with a small amount of vitreous detachment it was ok.

Marmoset
    Free Member

My last big stack involved a bit of ground/face interraction and the M frames I was wearing didn't seem to have a negative impact on my looks! I do remember seeing them flex a fair bit during teh event but they still work a treat…

FuzzyWuzzy

As someone above said you need full frame glasses (like Jawbones), that said the nose piece can, IME, still do some damage. I guess goggles are the only truly safe option :p

LMT
    Free Member

When i face planted into a concrete surface, my lid cracked down the middle, over 18 stitches in my face. But my glasses only a scratch in fact unless you really look at them no real damage. I have a pair of oakleys not sure which ones but they have a prescription lense, when i called oakley for replacement lenses they claimed that they shouldn't shatter on impact, i know they are pricey but they did the job.

My are the full framed ones, i think they are the whisker glasses, but not the new square ones, the older rounded ones. After the crash they are still functional and do the job, might invest in some new ones soon!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Riding eyewear that doesn't cut face in event of fall’ is closed to new replies.