Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Riding down stairs
  • WaywardRider
    Free Member

What's the longest flight of steps anyones cycled down?

Wondering where in London I can find the longest run?

caledonia
    Free Member

The steps from Edinburgh castle to Johnston Terrace are pretty long (and narrow) as used in the Fat Face Night Race a couple of summers ago.

I'd love a go but it's usually full of tourists 🙁

njee20
    Free Member

One of the escalators on the Underground. Make it an up escalator and ride slowly for infinite length.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Someone rode down 80 odd stairs in my building. Hairpin bends every 12 steps as ell

warton
    Free Member

the stairs leading from the castle to the quayside in newcastle are long, steep, narrow in places and slippy. ridden it once, bottled it half way down about 10 times

samuri
    Free Member

covent garden tube has the most stairs according to google

njee20
    Free Member

Ah yes, there's that sign at the bottom saying it's two-hundred-and-something and to use the lift except in an emergency.

devs
    Free Member

Ladyhill in Elgin. 30m vertical of bone shaking, filling rattling, uneven and mismatched steps and stairs. Might headcam this weekend if I remember, been meaning to do that for a while.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Covent Garden tube station (spiral steps)…now that would be impressive

el_creedo
    Free Member

Caledonia – I've done that run, on the Edinburger Rat race a few years back, got an awesome pic of it too somewhere. I love riding stairs – it was fun wacthing so many people stack it too!

IanMunro
    Free Member

The canary wharf stairwell has got to be a top contentender.

WaywardRider
    Free Member

I was really thinking of outdoor stairs… Best I can come up with in London are the bridges – Chiswick, Waterloo Westminster etc all have very easy steps to ride down. Trouble is they're not that long.

Covent Garden tube stairs might be a challenge too far.

psychle
    Free Member

Angel Tube escalator is pretty impressive.

BigJohn

I'd like a crack at a pyramid

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I'd like a crack at a pyramid

SHOCK HORROR: Mountain biker breaks pyramid 🙁

Amos
    Free Member

Not helpful but there's a great flight of steps coming from the Bishops downs in Salisbury used to rattle down them on my sturmey archered raleigh when I was a nipper! The odd thing is I'd probably think twice on my 575 more to do with the fact I'm 31 now and don't bounce so well…..

tinsy
    Free Member

Got some near me, & I have ridden down them once and I just had a look on google earth,and it drops just shy of 100ft in height, I thought i was going to lose my fillings 🙂

Just measured it and its .1 of a mile in distance accross the earth so I guess we could work out a gradient from that?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Almost 100m stone staircase with 2 switchbacks in it coming down from Lochnagar

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Didn't Rob Jarman ride down the fire escape stairs in the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur?

The stairs off the SE. side of London Bridge are fairly steep and relatively long.

Done a couple of escalators, and they're pretty brutal unless you've got a LOT of travel.

scuttler

I'm sure everyone's seen this but juuust in case here's the bloke skiing down the escalator at Angel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFqQOlYE4EE

It's had dramatic music and heavy breathing added since I last saw it.

Love it!

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

There's a flight of stone steps at Rivington which the guide books call the 365 steps. Supposedly one for every day of the year. Ridden them several times, but too busy concentrating to count.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

any one remember that chap on record breakers who bunny hopped UP some huge staircase on a bmx?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

oh and alfred's tower in wiltshire would be a good one, 205 steps

BigJohn

The spacker steps on the TocH Trail on Cannock Chase are pretty good fun.

crouch_potato
    Free Member

These would take a while to get down, shame about the pedestrians…

BigJohn

That last one reminds me of Penmachno. All uphill, then you get back to the start.

miketually
    Free Member

The Abbey steps at Whitby?

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

The Abbey steps at Whitby?

197 isn't it?

doug_basqueMTB.com

I'm not actually a huge fan of riding down steps but here's a couple of places that we do it! I've just put the google earth photos in.

First one is on a regular ride from San Sebastian. They're about 100m's high so maybe 300-500 steps?(You arrive at the sea and have to be picked up by a small boat after that!) They're really rickety and ancient with tight switchbacks and they're very hard to do dab free but they're fairly safe due to a large wall on the cliff side.

Second one I think only one person has done. Rowan Sorrell rode these as part of ResetFilm's next film, the follow up to home(called FIND and due in the cinema's in November) but only rode them a couple of times because he said they were "too dangerous!". I don't know the height but probably about 60-70m's from the sanctuary at the top to the small causeway connecting the island to the mainland. It's a rubbish picture, sorry, but you'll get a better impression if you check out FIND I guess!

Like I say I don't really like steps so hope I'm not putting anyone off coming here!

Tracey

Did about 50 some years ago down to a beach on Jersey

Think on these there were three rows of 8, rode out of the hotel foyer and straight onto the steps, was wearing a skirt at the time

14 on our local ride, usually done straight from the pub

8 on this but it stops straight at the bottom with a bike gate

There are about 40 that have been put in just of the Transpennine Trail at Bolton that will be ridden in the near future, can be seen on Google Earth but I cant link to them

Tracey

Tracey

wwaswas

There's some quite good steps built into the escarpment North of Devils Dyke.

I asked my daughter to count them when we went for a walk there and there's over 200.

Very easy to fall off on, in my experience 🙁

I_Ache
    Free Member

Flaperon

Did these at Leeds Uni once, harder now you have to swerve round the anti-bike measures at the top.

kiwijohn

Theatre Royal fire escape. Nice & straight but dead end at the bottom.
    Skyline off Mt Nelson, hundreds of odd shaped rock steps. Just point & shoot & hold on.

barrykellett
    Free Member

This is an old granite track up into the mourne mountains. The rail track is long gone, but is now replaced with steps all the way to the top. This picture is taken nowhere near the top!

Its just shy of half a mile from the start of the descent to the bottom and goes from 627 feet to sea level.

Best ridden flat out so your wheels cruise over the corners of the steps, but its not that safe as its a popular walking route. Let go of the brakes when you can see there is noone coming up towards you.

Marge
    Free Member

Liege is a strong contender for a long set (though not in London :)) – 353 steps

Home of the Red Bull Stairway to Hell

Bike mag article

joemarshall
    Free Member

In London, the longest stair set that is easily rideable without any hassle has to be the Greenwich Foot Tunnel – tight, slippery, steep. 100 stairs, I think it has no landings either. Send someone down first to check for walkers. Oh and start riding once the lift starts to move up from the bottom, as then the guy in the lift can't tell you off.

If you like jumping off stairs, then Canary Wharf has a decentish set. Also, I've seen the ones at Waterloo, from the bridge over Waterloo road down to ground level jumped down in quite a scary looking way, but they're not very long. Also the ones off Hungerford Bridge, but they are always a bit crowded, you have to wait for a decent gap.

Joe

Tracey

Two more

Tracey

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Many years ago I once accidentally took a wrong turn in the dark when approaching an underpass at the top of East Road in Cambridge and ended up riding down the steps instead of the ramp at the opposite entrance.

Had I not been on a Dawes racer, and had I been expecting the steps to be there, I may have made it more than half way down before landing on my face. I can remember getting some pretty serious air over the last three steps. I ended up covered in blood and had to carry the bike 2 1/2 miles home. Not a good day…

peachos
    Free Member

i'd like to see someone ride some of the steps around angkor wat in cambodia. some people have problems walking down em!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Riding down stairs’ is closed to new replies.