Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Riding dilemma
  • rascal
    Free Member

Booked a Mon and Tues off with a view to take the new Whyte T130rs up to the Lakes to get a 3 rides in over a long weekend. Whinlatter in the north, some natural riding in the Ambleside/Langdales area plus maybe Walna Scar. I’d be riding solo but really want to tick off some rides there as only been once this year. A mate is happy to ride during that time but on the basis it’s not in the Lakes as he’s there the following weekend. He’d prefer South Wales, which I’m less keen on but it’s company. What would you do? Was thinking of youth hosteling it in a much more compact area that I love but on my tod….or with a mate in places I’m less bothered about…heart saying Lakes.

ste_t
    Free Member

With a mate. Riding alone is much easier to organise than riding with others so don’t turn down the opportunity

jekkyl

The lakes, riding alone means you can totally please yourself.
    Plus the lakeland scenery doesn’t compare to Wales.

thecaptain
    Free Member

That does sound like a fabulous lakes trip. Especially if the weather’s half-decent you’ll regret not doing it, unless time with your mate is more important to you.

chakaping
    Free Member

Let the weather forecast decide?

Stevet1
    Free Member

Ask your mate to go to the Lakes, what’s the problem with going twice so close together?

martinhutch

Lakes. It’s not like your mate will run out of good riding if he has to go two weekends in a row.

Pook

Is your mate having the same dilemma?

mildbore

Lakes. Sounds like you’ve already decided. S. Wales nowhere near as good

Junkyard
    Free Member

I can only imagine the horror of having to ride two weekends in the Lakes

What sort of mountain biker could cope with such a scenario?

lunge

Lakes, no question at all.

rascal
    Free Member

I think it’ll be the Lakes tbh. My initial idea was there and I just mentioned it to him – there’s no pressure and he’s cool if I choose there. He’s walking up Keswick way so as mentioned riding and walking will be very different anyway. I’ve ridden in South Wales far more recently than I have in the Lakes and I’ve had that Vertebrate book for 3 years that I’ve not used yet (though I have ridden there in that time). I’ll get booking the YHs later. Ride choices sound good? Walna def worth doing?

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Walna def worth doing?

I’d say so. Do the loop of Coniston, that way you can ride down Parkamoor as well.

jekkyl

Don’t discount B&Bs over YHA. I’ve just spent the weekend in the lakes and was surprised to find YHA nights, even in a dorm at like 30 quid. Got a B&B through airbnb for £55 a night, comfy bed, no others snoring, proper wifi (netflix!) and a decent cooked breakfast is worth 20 quid more to me.
    Rides? whinlatter’s okay meh, it is a bit short though, on the north loop it seems like you’re just getting going and then it ends. Start on the blue and do the longer loop and it intersects with the red south loop, then do the north. The south is very jumpy if you like getting air, I did finish it with a grin. The carpark is pay by card now as well.

martinhutch

Walna def worth doing?

Full WS is worth doing, the halfway option climbing up from Torver is not. I still do it as part of a larger Coniston loop when I can’t be arsed with going right over to Seathwaite and pushing up, but it certainly wouldn’t be anything like a highlight! Part of the attraction of full WS is that you can choose to do the descent to Seathwaite as well.

rascal
    Free Member

OP here – my mate can’t do that weekend now so decision def made.
    Next decision is pining down 3 rides. Decent sized but not monster miles.
    I like Whinlatter but not a must-do.

Here’s what I’ve done before, but would like to do something I’ve not done:

Whinlatter N & S
    Back O’ Skiddaw
    Skiddaw/Ullock Pike
    Helvellyn up Keppel Cove/down Sticks
    Ullswater shore/Martindale/Boredale Hause
    High Street/Thornthwaite Crag from Hartsop
    Borrowdale Bash
    Bit of mincing between Black Sail/Styhead passes whilst camping in Wasdale
    Claife Heights
    Garburn loop from Staveley
    TNF at Grizedale (about 9 years ago last time!)
    Grisedale Pike/Hobgarton Crag/Grasmoor/Whiteless Pike from Buttermere (Gasgale Gill)
    Loughrigg/Langdales/Hodge Close – barely remember as years ago and got lost 😉

So what am I missing?
    As mentioned I’d like the best smiles-per-miles I can get from Walna Scar.
    I’ve heard Grizedale Forest non-TNF is very good.
    Descent down into Borrowdale from Esk Pike sounds good.
    Is Nan Bield right up there?
    Don’t mind a bit of nav but don’t wanna be checking maps every 2 mins and not enjoying the flow.

Any suggestions gratefully received along with tips/links/downloads etc.
    Thanking you muchly 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Riding dilemma’ is closed to new replies.