• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Gunz.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Riding Chamonix trail advice
  • aquamac
    Free Member

Hi there,
    I’ve rented a bike for a days riding in Chamonix. Anyone got any good tips on trails?

Cheers
    Aqua

jambalaya
    Free Member

What is your level of experience ?

Go into Zero G and buy a copy of the Bike Book

Ask the shop you rented from ?

Have you got personal injury insurance valid for mountain biking ?

Do you have a car to transport the bike or are you relying on pedal power / train to get to the riding area ?

aquamac
    Free Member

Intermediate skill level, got the zero g book. Got insurance, no car though. Just from The village. Just wanted to hear some recommendations.

Steve77
    Free Member

In July and August you are best off going to either end of the valley to Le Tour or Les Houches. If you only have one day I’d go with Le Tour. You can get the train up there and bike back afterwards. Research the trails off the back into Switzerland.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OK it is quite full on there ! Hence my questions. The Brevent / Flegre lift runs are very steep in places and very rooty (think roots the size of tree trunks 😉 ) but that is classic Chamonix riding – you need to check what’s authorised now its the main season. They are easily accessed from the town. Huges Way & the Les Houches trails would be good but a pain to get to without a car imho. The trails up above Le Tour / Vallorcine and also into Switzerland (Tirent) are great but not all allowed and needs train (free ticket from your accomodation, check timetable as they take a 2hr lunch !)

Note the xc-ish ride from the town via the petit balcon is ok not great, in the book it says its the ride to do if you do only one but that would be mightily dissapointing

aquamac
    Free Member

Hi all,
    Just a quiky to say thanks for the advice. I’m just back and rode Le Tour. Managed to have a car and drove up from Chamonix. Days pass on the lift was €23 and was well worth it. Trails were fast and dry. Would seriously recommend this place to anyone. After going there I see how many trails there are, it’s heaven. Anyway thanks for the advice, now off to Ardrock in Yorkshire!

Cheers
    Aqua

CountZero

Chamonix is exciting on a Cannondale M800 Beast of the East fitted with 100mm original orange Bombers and rim brakes…. 😀

Gunz
    Free Member

I did my first year in Chamonix (Tour de Mont Blanc with MBMB) in 1998 with rim brakes. The rims got so hot they blew my innertube.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Riding Chamonix trail advice’ is closed to new replies.