• This topic has 21 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by hora.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Riding bud collapses when the weather is cold-ideas?
  • hora
    Free Member

Firstly hes a good bloke/rider and relatively fit (but posts about MTFU still welcome) 😀

On a serious note though Im not happy/concerned i.e what if the cold is triggering something?

It was a cold start this morning. Within 20mins he had to stop/felt dehydrated/weak. Didnt want to move and had to turn back.
    Previous he had asthma like symptoms.

Ton-any ideas? Iregular heart triggered by cold?

Wear too little? Ive done this before but never suffered that.

Rider wont be named or hinted at etc.

Liftman

Tell him to MTFU 🙂

Haze

I’m struggling a little at the moment, remnants of a cold that’s aggravated the seasonal asthma that rears it’s head last quarter of every year.

Never had the dehydrated/feeling weak thing, just can’t hold a decent pace for any length of time.

Liftman

Doesn’t everyone struggle a bit when the temp drops, it’s been harder this year I think as the temp is all over the place, yesterday it was 10 degrees this morning it’s -2

hora
    Free Member

He doesnt have Asthma-fit n healthy in that regard.

loum
    Free Member

Sounds like turning back was the best option.
    If you’re not happy with that, MTFU 😉

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Maybe it’s your craic, he’s just being polite.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Are his tyre logos correctly aligned?

willard

Hangover? I know I feel less than enthusiastic when I have to drag my ass out of bed to go for a run/ride when I’ve been on the sauce the night before.

ton

hora, heart meds make you cold i think. dont know if a dodgy ticker makes you cold tho.
    prior to going af, i never need more than a base layer even in the coldest weather.
    visit to the docs………or a huge dose of the obvious, 😀

rewski
    Free Member

SAD

davesmate
    Free Member

I never has asthma until the same thing happened to me a couple of years ago, proper scared me. I went to the quacks and yep, it’s asthma but I only get it at this time of year. I’m told it’s something to do with spores given off by falling leaves. Anyhoo, I now use a preventer every Oct/Nov and it’s fine.

br
    Free Member

Had he had a decent breakfast before, and tbh in the same position I’d be looking for food/drink, NOW! Mine has normally been drink related…

andrewy

Are his tyre logos correctly aligned? 😀

seosamh77
    Free Member

Within 20mins he had to stop/felt dehydrated/weak. Didnt want to move and had to turn back.

Maybe stating the obvious but is he hydrating/eating enough before a run? maybe the cold is compounding that?i prescribe pint of water and a couple of rolls and banana next time an hour before a ride, see if that helps.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Went for my first off road ride in 6 weeks 2 weeks ago and was honestly thinking about packing it in because I was wheezing like a geriatric. Decided to carry on and felt fine by the end.

Some days your head’s just not in it. Some people can overcome it, some can’t. Nothing wrong with giving up sometimes.

If it could be health related and this is completely out of the blue then tell him not to **** about and go see a doctor.

glupton1976
    Free Member

He needs Horse Placenta – FACT.

oldgit
    Free Member

No idea Hora.
    Only once in my life did I feel a bit like that. Ir was freezing and I’d only been out 20 minutes.
    First of all I noticed that my riding was laboured.
    Then I thought something was loose on my bike.
    Then I felt dizzy.
    My arms and legs turned to jelly.
    I stopped and sat in a beam of sunlight, then tried to get home.
    I couldn’t pull the brakes and I couldn’t operate my road STIs.
    Got to a police station and asked for help.
    It turned out it was all down to the cold dry day, it was very low I can’t recall what it was, but all that was just down to the cold.

Popocatapetl

What happened to Riding buddy confidentiality? Epic fail my man. Drinks all round on the 8th. Don’t forget your wallet 👿

hora
    Free Member

I didnt name him-I will bring your fiver and spend big at the bar 😉

Pook

nob.

All, I didn’t have enough layers on, it was freezing cold. It hit my chest, I went back to the car and warmed up.

I appreciate his concern, but it was my own bloody stupid fault for not being properly kitted up.

I’m fine btw and off for a couple of pints with my bro.

hora
    Free Member

You bloody better- what if you are out on a night ride/a few miles out etc etc if it happened? 😐

Get an Icebreaker merino. I still have one that I bought back in 2000. Now own 3 and one of them (200 weight/black with white arm stripes) on its own is enough to ride at 2/3 degrees riding…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Riding bud collapses when the weather is cold-ideas?’ is closed to new replies.