Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Riding below your limits is the only way to ride.
  • curiousyellow
    Free Member

If you can’t ride an officially sanctioned, purpose built DH track at a purpose built DH venue like a nutter then all is lost.

I can understand having to watch your speed on a trail centre blue, or a bridlway because you may come across all types of riders and obstacles, but S2A? The trail where they fenced off all the chicken runs because too many people were getting hurt meaning you had to commit to all the drops at the top to even start? Unbelievable.

I’m pretty sure I’d be well out of my comfort zone on my very first attempt on S2A. My thought process would be more along the lines of “shitohshitohshitohshitI’mgoingtodie”, not “what would I do if a moron in a CX bike showed up around the next corner, hmmm, let me scrub some speed just in case”.

Euro
    Free Member

you never know what is round the corner, nails, fishing line, fallen tree, rider, badger, bloke with a shotgun…

…baby koala, a young Raquel Welch, cold cider, an original packet of beef monster munch…

Unlucky and lucky at the same time OP. Ming and Mo

Northwind

1) Yes he was in the wrong
    2) Yes you could ride in a manner that would mean that even if there are bellends around you won’t hit them but
    3) That would be shit. So what we actually do is, we ride quick and committed, and in a manner that deals with the likely, and just accept that sometimes unexpected things will happen. It is part and parcel of the sport we do.

user-removed
    Free Member

Bagsy crashing into a young Raquel Welch and being forced to nurse her back to health with blanket baths and stuff.

On the whole, it seems obvious that the guy riding up a paid for downhill track deserved everything he got. And I’ve never seen a cx bike with bombers…

roverpig

Aston Hill is different to most riding places in the UK as it’s privately owned, so if you are on it you should be aware that folk will be belting down certain trails.

In that case my sympathy is even more with the OP and I’ll happily withdraw any implied criticism.

I keep forgetting that the rules are so different down in Englandshire. You probably can have a private track that people have to pay to use and agree to abide by the rules. In which case you should be able to trust that you won’t meet an idiot riding up the downhill track.

Up here the access rules cut both ways. I can ride my bike pretty much anywhere I like, but I have to accept that other people might be using the track for their own purposes (regardless of how many signs there are).

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Obviously the last thing I’d expect on a privately owned downhill park would be downhill bikes being ridden fast in a downhill direction 🙄

The cx rider is a chump.

chakaping
    Free Member

How long until the CX dickhead shows up on here?

Got to be an STW user with that kind of attitude.

retro83
    Free Member

So was he going back up the red run? At the path about 9 secs in on this?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s98kVeSfkN4[/video]

fervouredimage
    Free Member

More around the 21 second mark on that vid, although those berms are much wider/ faster now.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

He was going up a bike park trail?

I’ve done this, very cautiously, to accompany a “lost” person back to a nearby hub, but extremely cautiously and got us off the line when someone came.

Really one has to expect cyclists hooning down bike trails! He’s a berk to expecting otherwise and then having the temerity to argue the point.

mikey74
    Free Member

2) Yes you could ride in a manner that would mean that even if there are bellends around you won’t hit them but
    3) That would be shit. So what we actually do is, we ride quick and committed, and in a manner that deals with the likely, and just accept that sometimes unexpected things will happen. It is part and parcel of the sport we do.

Spot on!!

BoardinBob

Up here the access rules cut both ways. I can ride my bike pretty much anywhere I like, but I have to accept that other people might be using the track for their own purposes (regardless of how many signs there are).

I still question that. The LRA does state you can’t exercise your access rights on land set aside for a specific recreational purpose. In my own personal opinion, I would argue that a purpose built mountain bike trail is land set aside for a specific recreational purpose. Others disagree. As it’s never been tested in court it’s still up for debate.

roverpig

As you say, that one gets argued both ways and is probably getting a bit off topic, but it’s a fair point.

MadPierre

He is obviously a cock. No you shouldn’t be riding below your limits on a trail like that. You showed more patience with him than I would.

Pin it and enjoy it! Maybe next time you’ll hit him harder and he will learn a lesson?

DezB
    Free Member

Can I just say – I would ride that track in the video (despite my earlier comment)! There’s a section at AH that crosses the XC trail? Guys were jumping over our heads on that! That’s the bit I wouldn’t ride 🙂

mindmap3
    Free Member

What a grade a toolbox!

I’m guessing like many trail centre / bike park type tracks the bottom where he may have started would have had no entry signs etc which he clearly ignored. As others have said at this kind of venue you e got to expect people to be riding quickly which is why they go there. Hopefully next time Darwin’s theory will kick in…

It does annoy me when people ignore the no entry signs on purpose built trails. I was at Cannock the other week and a lady was walking up the trail with her two dogs and kids getting in a strop that she had to keep calling her dogs back / making them sit for the cyclists! I pointed out that she shouldn’t be on it, let alon hoi g against the traffic on a quick bit and she went nuts! What if someone ploughed into one of her dogs / kids? Idiot. Cannock Chase is massive and there are two dedicated bike trails that seem to attract the odd idiot to walk on.

zippykona

Did you ring your bell?

ask1974
    Free Member

Couldn’t agree more and perfectly phrased. Except when clearly there is a risk of walkers, dogs etc this is the only way to ride IMO. The pure joy of riding on the edge and pushing your limits is a special place. Be safe, be sensible, but if you’re not falling of once in a while you’re not trying hard enough… 😉

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Riding below your limits is the only way to ride.’ is closed to new replies.