Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Riding at Swinley Forest / Gorrick
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

A friend is riding with Dirt Devas next weekend so some of us thought we'd travel up to Berkshire from Bristol to get some riding in while she's on her course. I havent got a clue about the local trails, if I leave the West Country it's to go to the North or Wales.

So, what's there? Is it easy to find my way around? Would folk recommend Swinley rather than a trip to the Chilterns or North Downs? Do I need a £2 permit? Should I stick to the West, North and Wales?

cheers

freeridenick
    Free Member

Swinley is pretty cack really – better off in the Surrey Hills/North downs.

br
    Free Member

Swinley is fun if with a group of friends and not bothered about mileage or 'going somewhere'. Just park at the Discover Centre (get there early) amd you can get a permit online beforehand through http://www.gorrick.com

But the North Downs, Surrey Hills or Chilterns are a better bet as long as you've sorted out a route. I can recommend for the Chilterns, and there are others who can do the same for ND and SH.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Taff
    Free Member

Swinley is quite fun if you're going for part of the day. It can become a bit tedious though. If someone is willing to show yoyu around you will enjoy it more

singletracksurfer

swinley with a guide, otherwise Chilterns.

I might be around next (not this) weekend.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

cheers guys. I'm hoping the Dirt Deva people can give us some pointers.

smurf
    Free Member

Do you have a GPS between you?

If so, email me on simon AT murfin DOT org DOT uk and I'll send a few routes.

smurf

smurf
    Free Member

I'd be interested in hearing how your friend gets on with dirt divas (for my wife)

smurf

singletracksurfer

pointers really wont help much to be honest. you need someone pointing the whole way.

Sam

you need someone pointing the whole way

Very true, I must have ridden at Swinley a dozen times over the past few years just feeling my way around myself. Found some great stuff, though I went riding there on the weekend with someone who really knows the area and he opened me up to many excellent new trails which I must have been very close to before but somehow never made it!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just get someone to show you the labarynth. We measured one of the tracks at over a mile long, and theres at least 4 different ones all within an area the size of a football pitch!

You can do it without any prior knowlage, but it takes time and a lot of trial and error. I've ben about 6 times now and can just about string a route together.

If you like views and isolation go for the Chilterns, if you like singletrack, small (and soem very big) jumps and corners and don't mind the odd 5minute que for a downhill section whilst the group ahead faffs with their travel adjustable 'rigs' and complains about their adjustable seatpost being jammed again go to Swinley.

I'm dead on half way between the Chilterns and Swinley (about 6 miles ride/drive to either). The Chilterns barely get a look in!

joolsburger
    Free Member

I go to Swinley in the week and the Surrey hills at the weekends.

Swinley is actually pretty good but you need a guide who knows the place to find the good trails. There are some fun long flatish singletrack trails, some fun but short downhill runs and linking it all up can make for a good couple of hours. It all looks similar and without someone who knows the place could be really dull as you'll just miss the best trails.

Surrey hills is the best MTB in the south I reckon but same as Swinley a guide makes it easy to find your way about and to find the better trails, I do think it's better than Swinley by a good margin but only if you know your way around.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Riding at Swinley Forest / Gorrick’ is closed to new replies.