Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Riding at dawn,any advice?
  • monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Never done it before.Also I will be up all night.Cheers in advance

tizzzzle
    Free Member

Drink some coffee.

wallop

In what way are you expecting it to be different to riding during the day or in the evening? Will it be dark? Take lights.

You will be tired – take food, perhaps.

cynic-al
    Free Member

My advice: do it and don’t worry/post on internet forums about it, it’s great.

wors

Pull one off as the sun rises?

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

I suppose not losing motivation during the night.Worried about pissheads on any road sections.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Thanks for that word.

DarrenH

push through the tired/aching legs feeling you get at the start.
    I always get this if I go for an offroad “detour” on the way home from working nights.
    Twenty minutes in and you’ll be fine,
    as said above, drink coffee before you set off, it’ll help.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I’ve only managed a few but I love dawn rides!

Only tips:

Lights if starting when still dark.

Midges are active at dawn – repellant / DEET.

You’ll be tired – take it sensible.

You’ll be bloody starving by the end. Guaranteed! Know where to go for brekkie!

Lastly – enjoy the feeling of everyone else being lazily tucked up in bed while you get a buzz!

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

do not know about dawn but I have just got in from a ride in the gloaming /moonlight. Nearly jusf went on riding it was ace

weirdnumber
    Free Member

Take a paper bag and earn a few quid on the way?

tenfoot

I do a lot of early morning rides and also did insomnia at bedgebury last year, which starts at 8pm and finishes at 8am.

Around 3am your body will want to shut down, but keep on going, because as soon as it starts getting light, you get another lease of life.

Without wishing to sound too beardy, bedgebury was magical as the sun came up and the wildlife got steadily louder.

Very atmospheric.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

I,ve got a beard and i,m of out at 4.00am.Hope the sun Gods are smiling today in the NE.I,m sick of rain.

doh
    Free Member

working nights here and i’m going to take advantage of the dry weather and head out when i get home about 4. doubly looking forward to it as it will be on my nice new bike.

+1 for a strong coffee to get the motivation.

Gorehound
    Free Member

I,ve got a beard and i,m of out at 4.00am.Hope the sun Gods are smiling today in the NE.I,m sick of rain.

Blue sky and sunny up in mountains of the NE.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Nice in durham to.

walla24
    Free Member

+1 for line up a greasy spoon breakfast

Gorehound
    Free Member

Fingers crossed the weather forecast is wrong then.

Gorehound
    Free Member
    kayak23

Tell your mum. She might be worried you’re not in your bed in the morning.

coatesy
    Free Member

Expectation-if you crash, it’ll be a long time before anybody finds you.
    Reality-when you crash, you’ll look up and find somebody walking a dog at an ungodly hour has witnessed the whole embarrasing scene.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i often find when im out early that the trails can actually be busier with dog walkers and trail runners – basically the early crowd

*generalisation alert*
    HOWEVER i find them to be much more courteous to other users than the afternoon crowd who just do not acknowledge your existance in the slightest.

nosedive
    Free Member

lay off the beers the night before

mrbelowski
    Free Member

People with obnoxious / uncontrollable / evil dogs tend (in my experience) to walk them really early in the morning so there are no kids about for them to eat.

Some owners think that shouting “careful, he might bite you” while their dog runs at you is acceptable as long as it’s before 6am

bigyinn
    Free Member

Perhaps introduce yourself to her first, before mowing her down?

Actually dawn riding is rather cool. The thought that everyone else is getting up for school / work in a bit whilst you’re out hammering the trail is very good. Its even nice on a cold frosty morning in winter.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Take a flask.

samuri
    Free Member

dawn riding is awesome. Proper different character set of people out at that time in the morning. Usually quite weird people. Expect to find people with guns, people with large birds of prey, naked people, people having sex, people who don’t like pink bikes, dodgy people on their way back from crimes, homless people and really, really shit drivers.

Honestly, if you think day time drivers are bad, wait till you experience a dawn time driver.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Should a went out with a boat not a bike.Some of the trails had turned onto streams/paddling pools.Plus side I saw a deer.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Riding at dawn,any advice?’ is closed to new replies.