Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Riding around Whitby
  • strawb3110
    Free Member

Better half is visiting friends in Whitby for the weekend and wants me to tag along which is cool, I know nothing about the area, would anyone know any local trails/riding that I can enjoy on the bike while we are there?

ossify

Dalby Forest is nearby… that’s all I know!

I will also be nearby but unfortunately no bike 🙁

yorkshire89
    Free Member

What sort of riding? Some nice BW’s around goathland and fylingdales.
    Not ridden anywhere nearer to Whitby though…

Some steeper trails in raincliffe woods, and wykeham has a nice DH line.

allan23
    Free Member

Dalby, Sutton Bank, there are loads of bridleways on the moors. Grab an OS map and explore.

Rosedale for the epic road climb if that’s your thing.

The Whitby to Scarborough Cindertrack is supposed to be decent for a sustrans old railway line thing, never ridden it though.

Edit: Guisborough isn’t far and has some trails.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Plenty of bridleways on the moors. I like Great Fryup Dale, this is a nice route-

https://www.strava.com/activities/604017604

Creg

FYI it’s the annual regatta this weekend so expect heavy traffic and for the area to be really busy.

As for riding, Dalby isn’t too far and neither is Guisborough woods.

I think there are a couple of sites where locals have done route guides. IIRC there is a good one around Rosedale area.

edlong
    Free Member

The Whitby to Scarborough Cindertrack is supposed to be decent for a sustrans old railway line thing, never ridden it though.

I have – it’s great if you want to get some miles in with some absolutely spectacular views, not much use if you’re looking for gnar to shred. The last few miles to Scarbourough are a bit shit though, badly signposted and through a not terribly picturesque estate. There’s a pub at Hayburn Wike (think that’s how it’s spelt) that marks a turnaround point when we do it (from Whitby). Best views etc. are probably between Hawsker and Ravenscar, which incorporates Robin Hoods Bay.

And, as others have said, Dalby – about 35 minutes drive from Whitby IIRC.

Last time we were there (Whitby) me and the other half had some individual playtime on the red at Dalby, and then family rides on the cinder track.

And the moors should be rideable as they ever are at this time of year, with the dry weather. Grab an OS map and take your pick.

strawb3110
    Free Member

“What sort of riding?”

Did the Ard Rock two weeks ago and off to the Alps soon, so not really worried about too much gnar/shred/falling off potential before going away, so may just have a look at Dalby, cheers guys, thanks for your replies!

simon1975

Goathland classics (if it doesn’t rain too much):
    https://www.strava.com/activities/71854071

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Dalby is ok despite a lot of people bad mouthing it, but how about the Rosedale Ramble

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Riding around Whitby’ is closed to new replies.