Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • riding around Exeter – mainly darkside
  • aw
    Free Member

Other half is off on a creative writing course near Exeter (sheepwash). I mainly cycle darkside (road) and wondered if I could combine dropping her off and a days riding in that area.

I am good for 50 miles plus 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Was down there on holiday a few months back and pieced together this ride from other people’s Strava segments. The bit through Exeter was a bit rubbish, too many lights and traffic, but the rest of it was nice enough. Bang on 50 miles.

jam-bo

sheepwash nr holsworthy? thats quite a hike from exeter.

get yourself on the moors or head over to bude and do the bude-crackington-boscastle coast road.

aw
    Free Member

thanks mr blobby..that looks liek a good 50 miles, quite alot of elevation 🙂

jam-bo

if you think thats a lot of climbing, don’t do either of the routes I suggested…

aw
    Free Member

hi Jambo,

Well Exeter is the nearest ‘big town’ I suppose. will be driving down so can base myself for a day anywhere near the area I guess.

Coast road sounds good!

jam-bo

it’s beautiful but its got some epic climbs in. a couple of 1 in 3’s as well…

this was a good,hard moors loop:

http://www.strava.com/activities/174762727

aw
    Free Member

nice high suffer score with nearly 6,000 ft of elevation in less than 50 miles!

Coast road sounds good…. 🙂

jam-bo

I was tapering for the Ride London…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Jambo, that looks hideous 🙂

jam-bo

it was one of the harder rides I did this summer, 3 of the top 100 climbs in one ride…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Sounds a bit like this one I did around Pembrokeshire the other week. 52 miles with 5000 ft of climbing. Just constantly either grinding up hill or descending while getting blown about by ridiculous gales. Bloody exhausting. From about half way I just wanted it to be over! That Exeter ride was a lot more enjoyable.

amedias
    Free Member

If you are starting from Exeter then head out to Princetown for a cuppa and cake and then back?

Nice moorland route with lots of nice views and some fun climbs and descents:

http://www.strava.com/routes/920379

*just carry on a bit up the road on the above route to Princetown, adds a few miles on for the trade off of a cake stop 😉

Or have a look at any of the routes the Exeter Wheelers have on their regular club runs, all start from Exeter and various lengths:

http://www.exeterwheelers.co.uk/index.php/Sunday_Club_Run_Schedule

bikebouy
    Free Member

SOme good routes just out of Exeter, head to the Res’s out West and then head south to the coast.
    Quite lumpy, quite twisty so not really a fast out and back, more a lot of up’s/downs and breathing hard.

I love the place.

aw
    Free Member

Thanks Amedias…soem nice routes there and thanks for the link to the ‘wheelers’. Quite funny really my last name is Wheeler 🙂

amedias
    Free Member

no problem, when are you down, midweek or a weekend?

ceepers

Dartmoor has beautiful roads, I’d head that way. Bear in mind it will take you nearly an hour to drive from sheep wash to exeter!

TiRed

Stage 5 of ToB was very nice to ride. Out via Exminster, Starcross, Mamhead, Haldon, Chudleigh, Bovey Tracey, Haytor, Widecombe, Two Bridges, Princeton…

For a moorland loop, comeback from Two Bridges via Moretonhamstead, one of the finest roads in the world.

But you must ride up Mamhead 😈

jam-bo

For a moorland loop, comeback from Two Bridges via Moretonhamstead, one of the finest roads in the world.

the rollercoaster run down to moretonhampstead is great fun.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Thanks jam bo I’ve been meaning to plot those 3 “100 Great” climbs into one ride, save me a job. 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Anyone got any similar recommendations for rides near Purbeck (staying in west lulworth, between Poole and Weymouth)?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘riding around Exeter – mainly darkside’ is closed to new replies.