Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Riding around Blackburn or Peak District?
  • bigdaddy

Morning STW wisdom… I have to travel from Surrey to Blackburn for meetings on 8th/9th Oct. The bike will be coming, and I’m looking for a decent 2 to 3 hour ride, prob around 11ish on the 9th. Is there anything worth doing in the area, or is it best to head down to the Peaks on my way home and do something there? Whats the consensus? And anyone fancy riding with me?

binners

Why drive for miles to the Peaks? You’ll be absolutely surrounded by decent riding. Head out over Darwen Moor, via the Witton Weavers way over to Rivington. Some cracking riding over there!

I’d offer to show you around, but not available that weekend 🙁

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Best riding within 20 mins of Blackburn would be Rivington. Take a look on http://www.bogtrotters.org/rides/gallery/
    for this and other route ideas in the area.

If you want something a little more technical, go over to Hebden Bridge (40 mins) but you’ll want a local guide to get the most out of that. I would offer but I’ll be working, sorry.

traildog
    Free Member

With such limited time, I would ride from Blackburn. Head to Darwen hill, then over to Rivington pike. There is good riding in the area. The towers on the hills will aid navigation – Darwen tower is easy to find and then head over to the TV mask (winter hill) and then you should be able to see Rivington Pike.

oggy07
    Free Member

Starting at Darwen you could do a number of decent rides that take in Darwen Tower and Roddleworth woods. For something longer you could join this up with Rivington Pike and/or Healey Nab via White Coppice and Anglezarke.

The trails at Gisburn are only 40mins, or Lee & Cragg quarry about 30 mins away too.

plenty of info here

I’m also working otherwise would have come out as it’s 10-15mins from my front door.

bigdaddy

Great, thanks for the info guys, really helpful. My time is only limited by the need to get home (5 hour drive) at some vaguely reasonable hour.

I’ll have a look at those rides, def makes the journey for dull meetings worth it if I can get a good ride in!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Riding around Blackburn or Peak District?’ is closed to new replies.