Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Riding and ride outs near Stirling
  • cpeach
    Free Member

Hi,

I’ve just moved to Blair Drummond near Stirling and would really appreciate recommendations of trails in the area and details of any local ride outs.

Thanks

Chris

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

A popular local hill is Dumyat (dum-eye-at) and there’s some good stuff in the woods around Stirling University and Bridge of Allan. Google “Trail Scotland” for more local info. You’re not too long a drive from Comrie Croft (45 minutes) and Carron Valley (30 minutes). No idea what’s up around Callendar and beyond.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’ve done Dumyat and it’s a good laugh, short but lots of fun.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    matt_outandabout

*waves*

Hello, Dunblane here.

Dumyat is a classic. Also look at the Allanwater area between Dunblane and Brudge of Allan – riddled with trails, including Kier woods area and upto Sherriffmuir (although the latter gets too boggy in winter).
    Up the way you have a lad of trails around Callander, heading out towards Aberfoyle, and into gert big hill rides. Eldest an I are heading out tomorrow near a Killin, for some proper hills…get the OS map out…

Also remember that Comrie croft is worth a visit, as is Carron valley for the trail centre experience in miniature.

coogan
    Free Member

Dumyat is one of my favs. North Third is good and also near by is Ben Cleuch.

matt_outandabout

Oh aye, forgot all about Cabusbarren..

cpeach
    Free Member

Thanks for all of this, I’ve ridden Comrie Croft and Carron Valley before and am hoping to get back to Comrie soon to see their latest track additions.

Local trail info is great and I’ll definitely be checking these out.

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

You have chosen wisely – there’s so much it’s silly. Dumyat as mentioned, Woods behind the university, Mine Woods (Bridge of Allan). Meet up with some of us or simply get into the woods and explore – there’s loads of options. If you ever think it’s no good, it’s probably because you’re a few feet away from the great trail but you didn’t know! Ben Cleuch is good for a big day – straight up Silver Glen, right to Ben Buck, to Ben Cleuch and then follow your nose to Andrew Gannel and down to the crazy wee deep but tiny path to Tillicoultry Glen.

Dumyat is accessible and a lot of fun. Just don’t make a menace of yourself – lots of walkers, some of them not as tolerant as others!

doh
    Free Member

Stirling bike club are out sat mornings and thu night they always happy for people to come along.

flowerpower
    Free Member

Yep, try googling Stirling bike club, although largely road based now, there is still a small mtb section. They meet at Costa Coffee in Stirling for a 9.30am start on Saturday, and Kings Park at 7pm on a Thursday night.

The rides are very ‘sociable’ at the pace of the slowest, but it is a good way to get to know the trails.

grey

Also this lot Central Scotland meetup.
    I did a lovely trip along the Allan water to Dunblane and then back through Mine woods back to Bridge of Allan last week, great fun, some great technical climbs and fun blasts down.

cpeach
    Free Member

Thanks again for more trails info and bike club details.

If anyone would be up showing me a few trails or letting me tag along on a ride then that would be great.

AlasdairMc

Comrie Croft is rideable from where you are in a long day, but it is a long day with wet feet. Callander to Comrie via Bracklin Falls and Glen Artney.

You’re also near Strathyre for Ben Ledi, Glen Ample, the path over the side of Ben Vorlich and some riding in the hills behind Balquhidder. Glen Kinglass from Brig O’Turk is good fun too.

I rode an offroad route from Callander to Doune yesterday, just piecing together double track with old railway path. I’m sure there’s more up in the hills but I was really only heading to Dunblane for a train so wasn’t really interested in having an explore.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Riding and ride outs near Stirling’ is closed to new replies.