Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Riding after finger amputation
  • jdeasey
    Free Member

Had my right little finger amputated in November, just about getting used to it now, but grip is still a huge issue. Surprising how much the little finger ‘completes’ the grip.

I keep dropping change in the shop, letting my phone slip through my hand and so on.

Getting back on the bike is a real problem at the moment. I can barely hold on to the (mtb) handlebars with my right hand and can barely ride up our street without huge discomfort, so any offroad excursions are a way off yet.

Got me thinking about perhaps putting a bar-end on one side only, so I can grip it between thumb and forefinger, a bit like you would ride the hoods on a roadbike I guess.

I don’t like the thought of bar ends particularly (they won’t suit a Whyte 146 I reckon), so wondered if anyone has had a similar problem and what they did about it …??

Could be radical I guess and just fit one bar-end and see what happens …..

wwaswas

Would ‘H’ type bars help?

Your hand position is far more like a road bike and there’s lots of options for where to hold on so you can change position if you get uncomfortable?

Have you thought about Ergon type grips – support far more of your palm so you don’t need to grip so hard to hang on (ime).

also, do you one finger brake? If not then switch to that to give you more grip without having to use ring finger so much.

njee20
    Free Member

What about those heat moldable grips on Kickstarter at the mo, sounds like they’d be perfect. Ergons for the interim.

franksinatra

How do you drink out of a cup and saucer without a pinkie to raise in the air?

wwaswas

Maybe (s)he’s left handed?

qwerty
    Free Member

Ergon grips?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ergon-gp3-standard/rp-prod15030?_$ja=tsid:46412|cgn:Ergon+-+Grips|cn:Chain+Reaction-UK-PLA-PLA-All-DT-SE|kw:267069UK_Ergon+GP3+-+Standard&gclid=CJ_p6t-g7LsCFWnjwgodmzEAYA

franksinatra

Have they not cured lefthandiness yet?

kayak23

SNAP!

Blood in photo below is unrelated to the finger incident… I fell down a steep bank carrying a heavy kayak…but, you can see me little pinkie, or lack thereof.

I lost mine (just above the knuckle) in a motorcycle accident mid-twenties (I’m 40 now) and have quite frankly struggled to hold a handful of M&M’s since.

Being a kayaker too, the grip issue was quite pronounced. You wouldn’t think it’d make a huge difference but you can certainly feel the ‘stub’ digging in to the paddle/handlebar.

My advice is just to stick with it. Don’t go adapting your bike etc just for a little finger. The human body is very adaptable and you’ll soon get used to it.

My hand looks a bit silly in my glove with a flappy end, but I pretty much don’t notice it on the bike. Only time I do is maybe a long uplift day or lift-assisted day, where the constant hammering can cause the stub-end to become a bit painful.

But essentially, I don’t even notice, much less anyone else notices. Stick with it.

I would also advise you to perfect the finger rammed up nose trick. It’s great at parties. People have no idea that in fact, most of your finger is non-existent, rather than shoved up your nose.
    Works well in the eye too! 😀

jekkyl

I don’t like the thought of bar ends particularly (they won’t suit a Whyte 146 I reckon)

they won’t suit your bike? while it’s sat in the garage because you can’t ride it? doesn’t matter what it looks like mate, do whatever you can to get out there. I hope you can and do. 🙂

hora
    Free Member

I’d say experiment with ergo grips or bar ends

thestabiliser
    Free Member

where the constant hammering can cause the stub-end to become a bit painful.

Amen brother

jdeasey
    Free Member

kayak – wow, nice to know someone else out there in a similar situation. I actually had all the little fingers taken off my running gloves …. dead comfy they are now …. but unsure what to about bike gloves. Thought about mitts but again, unsure whether I’d have any feel.

I AM reluctant to start adding things to the bike, so guess I’ll get my grip worked on and go from there.

wwaswas – thanks for the ‘H-bar- suggestion… will certainly look at it

Frank – I never raised my pinkie anyway !!

Cheers

jdeasey
    Free Member

jekkyl – very good point mate !!

Not exactly the nicest looking bikes anyway …:-)

kayak23

Yeah, I really don’t think any adaptations are needed for just a little finger. God only really invented it for hard to reach bogies and holding M&M’s(See above)

Look after your stub, it gets a bit chilly. Cutting your gloves off is probably a good idea. I might do that. 🙂

TooTall
    Free Member

Give it time. It’s barely been a few weeks since the amputation so you have a lot of adapting to do. Positive thinking.

This is my mate Tom. He is an inspiration to me and many others.

onearmedmountainbiker

I’m not belittling your situation. It’s hard to adapt and it will take time, but look what he did in time.
    The silly sod is signed up for Mega this year as well.

jdeasey
    Free Member

Kayak – I inadvertently did this at Christmas dinner thinking the finger was still there …!! The nerves haven’t settled down yet and they are still trying to re-connect to what has long since gone …. my brain musn’t have caught up yet as I get phantom pains …:-)

kayak23

TooTall, did your mate ever used to do some of the Dragon Downhills?
    I remember a bloke there used to ride with one arm. Had some sort of clever attachment for the bar. Inspiring.

jdeasey
    Free Member

TooTall – great link – cheers, sounds a top guy your mate and hats off to him.

You are of course correct … it’s not long since I had it done, so I need patience.

Fortunately I do more running than biking so getting out, keeping fit, is no issue at all – just be nice to get back on our Pennine trails and quarries for a pootle, maybe in the Spring …

Cheers 🙂

hora
    Free Member

I’ve cut through the tendons on the index finger on my right hand and even though thats nowt to ^^ I’m struggling to adapt abit with one finger braking but also how I lean/put alot of my weight through that finger it seems.

TooTall
    Free Member

kayak – Tom might have ridden them but he has never used an arm attachment. He knows the guy who does but he has always ridden with his arm in a sling.

Just to show his utter determination:

[video]http://youtu.be/UrXvg1ERTc4[/video]

occasional swearing.

kayak23

Champery with one ******* arm!? 😯

Respeck!

hora
    Free Member

Wheres Lee Muff- he rides with two fingers missing on one hand.

theotherjonv

No experience of a missing finger, but i have a little one which due to a cricket accident is fused across the joint so basically doesn’t bend in the middle. Hence can’t curl it round the bar to grip. As above, at first it was very odd but you do get used to holding with two fingers, using the index to brake with. I’m more paranoid about catching the protuding pinkie than grip nowadays, and have toyed with elective removal in the past.

Biggest issue as you say is getting a handful of change out of your jeans pocket and throwing it all over the floor.

jdeasey
    Free Member

At least I can get my hand IN the pocket now …!

Previously I couldn’t do that my finger was so bent.

It is actually quite comical at times now – people’s reactions as well, range from horrified to intrigued to couldn’t give a shit …:-)

Watching that guy with one arm in Champery is a totally different league to my riding though …. :-O

squin
    Free Member

Kayak23, that last paragraph has just made me cry with laughter at my desk, that sort of thing really amuses me. Thanks 😀

h4muf
    Free Member

Wish i’d just lost my little finger! Lightweight!

This is how you do it!

Fingers by h4muf, on Flickr

Got crushed in a lorry tailgate 6 years ago,really struggle with holding on down techie descents whilst covering the back brakes.
    Ache like mad in the winter,have to use handwarmers.

jdeasey
    Free Member

Oooh … that must be tricky…….

I’ve noticed my missing bit (or the area around it …. there is no stump as such) aching a lot with this colder weather.

Even have to wear gloves running now which I didn’t much before…..

As for holding on techie descents – I couldn’t before so I guess there’ll be no difference there 🙂

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Riding after finger amputation’ is closed to new replies.