Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Riding after a chest infection/bronchitis
  • Kryton57

How are we all getting on? I popped out for a 100k which turned into 137k on Saturday and although I felt reasonably good, it wasn’t a high pace at 26.5kmh although the way back was into a 14mph headwind. I didn’t feels trashed the next day either.

So I had high hopes, until this morning whereby I’ve woken up bunged up and with an apparent variant of the cough. I’ve thrown down some Lemsip max tablets and am still going to have a go at an Ftp test but I’m really starting to think my 2015 season is comprimised. Really pissed off tbh, but trying not to stress about it – what can you do eh?

jam-bo

meh.

TiRed

There is no harm in properly resting. I was off for nearly two months with proper influenza. I take a few days off for a cold and longer if it heads lower down. You won’t turn into an unfit blob with a week off, but over-do it whilst ill and you can expect trouble.

Raced Saturday, cold Sunday off yesterday and today. May ride Boxing Day.

old_mtber
    Free Member

Back out on the bike at last and taking it very easy, riding for no more than an hour every other day. Started late Oct and finally seems to be shifting. Apparently some sort of viral chest infection and after reading some of the posts I seem to have got off fairly lightly!

chakaping
    Free Member

Still got lingering cough and phlegm.

Had a brief spin up the hill on Saturday and it didn’t go well. Going to panto today, but will get out for a flat ride tomorrow.

I’ve had enough of resting now.

Sounds like you’re on the mend Kryton.

Kryton57

Although it’s 6 weeks for me so far Tired. I suspect I shall be seeing you twice per race in Janaury at this rate. :-/

It’s so depressing, I’d really improved a lot by September and am watching it all (literally) dribble away…

asbrooks

The last time I had a chest infection, my doctor told me if I used a gym to use the steam room and breath deeply.

I’ve man flu at the moment and seeing this thread has just reminded me, as a kid, I always remember my dad huddled a bowl of steaming water with vicks vaporub dissolved in it. He never seamed to be ill for long.
    Now, where’s that vicks gone…

chakaping
    Free Member

Rode for 40 mins today, felt OK at the time – and amazing afterwards. Really missed it.

🙂

ononeorange

Bugger. First cold for over a year began at the weekend so I went mental-crazy spinning yesterday with the idea of showing it who’s boss – feel utterly terrible today coughing and gasping. Reading the above is making me start to wonder if it wasn’t the best approach.

Will reconsider perhaps biking tomorrow. Damn. One of the few days I actually have some time.

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Nearly 4 weeks since my chest infection came (wanted to try and fight it without antibiotics). Tested it out on the 1st Dec doing a road ride with the Mrs at a gentle pace. In the last 4 weeks it’s been bad, then eased off, then came back again and when I finally decided to see the Dr yesterday the cough and phlegm has pretty much gone. I’m going to hold off till the weekend before I think about getting back out. Really missing it, but take it easy and enjoy xmas.

globalti
    Free Member

I went to bed early last night wearing trackie bottoms, a T shirt, thick socks and a hat and with a dressing gown spread over the duvet and was still feeling chilly, so high was my body temperature. I don’t think the hour I spent outdoors in the cold northern wind fitting a storm sill to the back door has done my cold any good at all.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Kryton, It’s a crappy time of the year. Have a break and don’t push it! Having 2-3 weeks off will surely not bother the fitness you’d have had come late summer.. but at the same time if you carry on with this lingering, you’ll never have a good fitness with it lurking anyway. Plus it’s so risky, not just for the rest of the ‘race season’ but your future health in years so come.

Kryton57

FFS.

Just a tickly easy cough now, but I’ve been up since 4am with food poisoning. I was supposed to be workout 2 of plan today.

When it rains it (literally 8O) pours sometimes…

chakaping
    Free Member

Stay away from the rest of us then!

Had a couple of hour-long rides myself, felt good despite treacherously icy conditions on the lanes of Hertfordshire.

Just need to find some flipping time to ride now!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Been struck down with the same, depressing with all this cold clear weather and spare time to ride a bit. Have written off coming NYD and weekend too.

chakaping
    Free Member

Hope you’re all on the mend.

Had a decent MTB ride today and seem to be pretty much back to normal, losing the slight shortness of breath I was having.

Lakes epic on Sunday then.

🙂

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

lakes Eh Stace, what route are ya doing pal?

captaintomo
    Free Member

I had an awful flu over xmas two years ago followed by two lung colds in a space of 6 months. My lungs haven’t been the same since, doctor thinks it’s given me asthma. Going back in a week.

chakaping
    Free Member

what route are ya doing pal?

Grasmere to Helvellyn, probably the Wythburn descent and some extra bits. Depends on the weather.

3/4 shorts obviously (if you read that other thread).

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Top man, you bounce straight back in to the big stuff Eh pal, Lol

Kryton57

Nice one chakping.

I’ve healed too, and have thrown myself into a pre-race training/sensible eating furor and have lost 3lbs already since 31st December. I have hurty legs every other day though!

I don’t want that infection again!

mogrim

I’ve had the chesty cough for the past couple of weeks, seems to be finally subsiding now. Really annoying, I had a whole load of days off before new year when I was going to get some decent long runs in, and nothing. Impossible. I’ve done a couple of short, easy runs (and coughed my lungs up after) and that’s it.

On the positive side my legs could probably have done with a decent rest, and a couple of weeks isn’t going to have a huge impact on my plans for the rest of the year.

FOG

After whinging about cold and chest infection on the previous page , no sooner did I start to feel better than I got some kind of stomach bug that laid me out for another week. I now haven’t been out on the bike for three weeks which is driving me mad. Her indoors keeps saying things like,” Never mind, it’s been nice having the kids here for so long and you have been able to see more of them”. I think this is meant to console me……

chakaping
    Free Member

Glad to hear you’re better Kryton, I know it was getting to you a bit.

On the positive side my legs could probably have done with a decent rest

Same here, think I feel a bit better for it in some ways.

chris85
    Free Member

Think I have this chest infection now 😥

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Riding after a chest infection/bronchitis’ is closed to new replies.