Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Riding a motorbike – 6 months in
  • monkeyp

I posted on here a while back that I was considering doing my CBT and buying myself a bike for commuting.

Well that was in April, and being as there has been a few posts on here about doing the same, I thought I would share my experiences.

I bought a Honda PCX 125 – a scooter I know, but it has been perfect for my commute – 20 miles each way on a mix of A and B roads including the A449 and Wolverhampton ring road. 3500 miles later (as I do a 4 day week, 3 on the scoot and once on the bike and on occasion in the car) and here is what I have found….

– spending £7 a week on fuel is WAY better than £30 a week!
    – drivers seem more respectful of motorbikes than they do of push bikes (mostly)
    – it is fun (mostly)
    – spending as much as possible on decent warm, waterproof, comfortable kit was the best decision I made and is the difference between being comfortable in all weathers and being cold, wet, tense and terrified
    – cutting through a queue of stationary traffic is nice
    – rain is actually fine
    – the dark is actually fine
    – rain and dark in unlit roads with oncoming traffic is not so fine
    – Pinlock visor inserts rock!
    – being invisable may look good, but I’ll stick with my Hi Vis thankyou
    – check the mirrors, look behind and do it again (but keep an eye ahead as well)
    – you will do some stupid things – just as you will when driving occasionally – bad judgement, etc etc – learn from them
    – car drivers WILL do stupid things
    – your hands WILL get cold
    – you possibly have more grip than you think
    – deisel is terrifying
    – wet drain covers in the dark are sometimes only visible from a few feet away
    – ‘L’ plates on a bike are like a sign saying ‘overtake me NOW’
    – a 125 will out accelerate pretty much any car up to 40mph
    – if you do the speed limit on ‘L’ plates, something WILL try to overtake you
    – if it’s really grim, or you are suffering from a bad cold and sneezing lots, just use the car!

I am sure there are more things. I still have a lot to learn and will hopefully be taking my test in the new year.

Andy

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

good stuff

monkeyp

OH – and:

– real rain is better than drizzle – I flippin hate drizzle

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sounds good, I don’t really need one but I really want one…joblessness prevents for now 🙁

br
    Free Member

All true, and you can’t beat a new visor (and insert) now its dark/wet.

Try heated grips and/or hand protectors – or both and you can use summer (goretex) gloves all year.

TheFlyingOx

– tea and butties from the roadside cafe taste SO much better when you’re on a bike and therefore a bit cold

5thElefant
    Free Member

Any yearnings for a less appropriate bike yet? Something for the weekend perhaps…

monkeyp

no real yearnings yet – to be honest, I see the bike as a tool for commuting. I have no time (or money) for it to be anything else. I am getting 120mpg consistantly which is great and means it actually isn’t costing me anything at all.

I sometimes think a larger scoot would be useful occasionally as riding at the top end on a dual carriageway isn’t the best idea as there’s nothing in reserve.

I also really like the ease of riding an auto – no faffing in traffic and more concentration on the road. Like I say – it’s a purely commuting tool for me. The PCX is a great little bike though apart from the wierd size tyres which can only be bought from Honda at the moment!

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

I also think that you become a better car driver because you are more aware of your surroundings. On a bike if you came across mud on the road I’d be thinking that there is a strong possibility of a tractor round the corner and drive accordingly. In a car you are wrapped in in your own little world. Since I stopped riding bikes on the road I’ve become a lot more lazy and less attentive.
    Unless its a cyclist, then I just cut them up and shout at them 😆

joao3v16
    Free Member

monkeyp – interesting post.

I have been toying with doing the same, although with no real conviction to follow through with it yet.

The main reason for not is winter, i.e. snow/ice on 2 wheels = dangerous/lethal.

Seeing as I cycle commute at least 3 days a week for 7 or 8 months of the year, and would use the car to a certain extent over the winter when it’s snowy/icy/seriously windy(?), I have not convinced myself it’s really worth it for me seeing as the main reason for doing it would be to save money on fuel.

My commute is only a 23 mile round trip (115miles/week = £20-£25/week petrol in my Vectra)

Something like the Honda PCX 125 would probably reduce my petrol consumption by at least 66%.

But then there’s also insurance, servicing etc.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

On a bike if you came across mud on the road I’d be thinking that there is a strong possibility of a tractor round the corner and drive accordingly.

I am sure good/considerate/sensible drivers of cars will be equally aware of potential hazards as good/considerate/sensible riders of motorbikes. I know I would alter my driving accordingly if I was to see mud on the road and I would only really consider myself to be an average driver.

monkeyp

Here is my cost breakdown – considering I bought the PCX to supplement my car, not as a replacement

My car is a Honda FRV, 1.8 petrol which averages about 33mpg.
    The round trip by car would be 50 miles (to avoid traffic to get back in time to pick my son up from nursery).

based on £1.30 per litre for fuel

Car:
    – fuel per week = £34.76
    – all other costs remain the same but in reality servicing and wear and tear is greatly reduced

Bike:
    – fuel per week = £7.88
    – cost of bike = £15.09
    – insurance = £3.96
    – tax = naff all
    – total = £26.93

Of course there is the ongoing cost of kit, servicing, tyres etc, but this is probably compensated by the reduced car costs. In reality, at this stage it is probably cost nuetral.

Also, most of the bike cost is fixed and comes out of my account at the start of the month so I don’t miss it. I also don’t miss £7 for a tank of fuel each week, but I do miss £65 for a tank of fuel for the car!

And once the bike is paid for I will be saving about £1.2k per year!

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

On a bike if you came across mud on the road I’d be thinking that there is a strong possibility of a tractor round the corner and drive accordingly.

I am sure good/considerate/sensible drivers of cars will be equally aware of potential hazards as good/considerate/sensible riders of motorbikes. I know I would alter my driving accordingly if I was to see mud on the road and I would only really consider myself to be an average driver.

Sorry probably a bad example. I’ve started commuting into Preston on my push bike and I’m beginning to get those old feelings back of being more aware of traffic. I think for me it’s because that if I’m involved in a accident on a bike you have a good chance of hurting yourself quite badly. Where as the same accident in a car I would probably walk away unscathed due to being surrounded by half a ton of metal. There nothing like the thought of serious injury to sharpen up your senses.

molgrips
    Free Member

Can you get snow/ice tyres for scooters? I commuted on my Nokian spikes in the winter.

hels
    Free Member

I saw some european types touring on motorbikes on Scotland in December, in the snow. German number plates I think, big chunky tires on both bikes. I wanted to stop and speak to them to find out what that was like but there was a big queue at the gas station so had to be on my way.

But back to the post – you forgot to add to the list how much more fun motorbikes are, the view, the feeling, general awesomeness.

I have ridden about for 2 years now on a CBT, will have to either resit or Go Big very soon.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Spikes would be illegal, same as they are on cars, nothing to stop you fitting some really soft compound enduro tyres though (not MX ones obviously) if they come in the right size.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Sorry probably a bad example. I’ve started commuting into Preston on my push bike and I’m beginning to get those old feelings back of being more aware of traffic. I think for me it’s because that if I’m involved in a accident on a bike you have a good chance of hurting yourself quite badly. Where as the same accident in a car I would probably walk away unscathed due to being surrounded by half a ton of metal. There nothing like the thought of serious injury to sharpen up your senses.

Yeah you are probably right – being protected by the car means some people may be inclined to take greater risks.

monkeyp

hels – why does doing the test automatically mean a bigger bike?

I can see it would be hard to resist the temptation, but the cost of running a 125 is so low that unless you are doing lots of miles/motorways/fun stuff it may not be necessary.

You could always get a Piaggio MP3 400cc jobbie that can be ridden on a car licence…

…which I have actually been tempted by but may get laughed off the road for having one

weeksy

My new toy… you’ll be getting one of these soon 🙂

mugsys_m8

Sounds great. Good on you.

I prefer messing around on smaller bikes and h.ave a citizen Smith MZ250. Which just makes me laugh all the time when riding it.

However, you seem to be clocking up some fairly serious miles for a 125! I rememebr when I was starting to ride, and my Dad (alos a biker) put it in perspective by telling me that my cyclinder size on my 50, was the same size as a bottle of ink! I still think that’s fantastic, to get enough power to propel a human with such a small compression area.

Have fun. Keep on smiling.

monkeyp

yeah – but look at all of those C-90’s that keep going and going and going!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

yeah – but look at all of those C-90’s that keep going and going and going!

C-30, C-60, C-90 GO!

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

+ a very big 1 for heated grips. They make a HUGE difference when we get some proper winter weather. When your hands are warm it’s rare that the rest of you won’t be.

monkeyp

I am not convinced by heated grips (for me anyway). My hands are fine UNTIL i grab the brake levers – the brake levers get blimmin freezing and the pressure of those near the ends of my fingers instantly makes my hands cold.

Of course – I may well change that opinion soon!

I am tempted by the very uncool option of some pogies, but at the moment, my HG Dr Zoidberg gloves with liners have been toasty down to +4degC and to be honest, when it starts dropping towards zero, I’ll be in the car as it’s just not worth the risk. I have a few narrow country lanes to contend with which are bad enough in the car.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I am not convinced by heated grips (for me anyway).

Handlebar muffs. The height of dorkiness, but by god they work!

Nice to hear you’re loving the bike too. Scooters do rock, especially in traffic, lighter, slimmer, more manouverable, they easily outride a bigger bike in traffic 🙂

hels
    Free Member

Handlebar muffs are on my christmas list… I def need a bigger bike, can’t even pass the bus on the 125 without a note from my mother. It’s been fun and everything and a good way to learn.

monkeyp

What 125 do you have then?

I hankered after a Honda Varadero 125, but the scoot won on ease of riding and economy for me.

A mate has just got a Honda Innova 125 – they look rubbish, but he gets around 160mpg!!!!

hels
    Free Member

I had little choice, being a small person. It was more what I could get my leg over than what I wanted, like much in life. Yamaha YBR 125.

footflaps

I gained the most from doing a Police run advanced Bike course (cambs police) – 6 weeks course with assessed ride. Made me a much safer road user as the course was 80% observation and anticipation skills and 20% road positioning. You can’t get enough skills training on a motorbike!

rp16v
    Free Member

scoot is definatley the way to go for traffic filled commutes i do a 30mile round trip 6 days a week on a speedfight 100 2 smoke and it really is a superb little machine and being a 2 stroke i can strip and re-build it in a night should i get any problems.
    just got myself some oxford hot grip lights so they will be fitted this weekend 😀
    also just re-fitted my rear rack and box as carrying full ice hockey kit on just your back is painfull! 😕

i just love the cost of tyres mine sets back £30 fitted each for avons and are great all year round

altho i do have to look at a new pipe soon as mine is looking abit worse for wear…..
    anyone for a scoot pics thread? lol

really got a hangering for the gilera nexus next

Northwind

monkeyp – Member

I am not convinced by heated grips (for me anyway). My hands are fine UNTIL i grab the brake levers – the brake levers get blimmin freezing and the pressure of those near the ends of my fingers instantly makes my hands cold.

Keeping the temperature up in general means you’ll not feel as cold at those times though. Wrapping your brake levers in self-amalgamating tape, heatshrink or cloth loom tape also helps a lot, for really cold days.

I’ve got fairly bad circulation so my hands get cold, so that does have an impact but I wouldn’t ride a bike in winter without heated grips.

rp16v
    Free Member

try the foam/rubber covers u can get for mtb levers that will take the chill off them or get thicker gloves.

Northwind

Aye, same idea. Tape’s just cheaper 😉

rp16v
    Free Member

im currenty looking at some mx style hand deflectors but not the naff looking long ones aparently will fit with some fettling and stop the wind chill on the levers/back of hands.

mugsys_m8

I’d go with muffs. Found them to be much better than mx style shields, and 2nd the idea of wrapping the levers in something. Burwins MZ in Islington used to sell neoprene lever covers.

A 125’s electric system in winter using full lights might struggle with running heated grips too…

rp16v
    Free Member

they are the hotgrip lite so are a lower current draw that the normal ones rated for 125 and under granted only have low and high settings non adjustable temp but better than nothing.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Riding a motorbike – 6 months in’ is closed to new replies.