Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • riding a heavy bike all the time'
  • ton

anyone ride a heavy bike all the time……….like for your one and only bike.
    hour spins up to full days out and even for multi dsy stuff.

what is the bike
    what does the bike weight
    and why do you use a heavy bike

Blower
    Free Member

how heavy?

most of my bikes nowadays weigh,more than how i used to build em..
    prefer a more substantial bike 😉

steveh

Not as an only bike but my xc bikes are a marin quad 140 35lb and a 456 summer season 32lb, I've only just found out how heavy they are and am interested to try a lighter bike if I can but I have them both for the geometry they're built with and downhill ability. Doesn't seem to slow me down any with my group of friends.

Bosh
    Free Member

Up until last week I rode a heavy bike for most things. Spesh 06 enduro with a coil. 38lbs. Heavy cos I'm heavy (21 stone) but just replaced with a heckler which feels just as solid but not in the same class of 'heavy'. Also got a summerseason which comes in at 32ish lbs which I wouldn't call light for a HT

Onzadog
    Free Member

I ride my Turner 6 pack a lot. I do have a hardtail which goes out less than half the time and a different commuter but the weight of the bike doesn't affect my choice. I've done lord of the loops on the turner. It's about 34/35 lbs

wors

How heavy is heavy? I weigh 90kg so don't bother about trying to save a few100g on things. I guess my pig weighs about 13kg

ton

i was thinking 35 ish lbs

onzadog………..lord of the loops??

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Commencal Ramones 2 (2010)

Long travel 'hardcore' hardtail on Pike 454 Coil U-Turns.

At 31.5 lbs I'm not sure whether it counts as really heavy, but I guess that's quite a lot for a hardtail.

It's certainly no XC whippet rocket, but then I don't like that type of mountain biking at all. It's amazing on the trails and for the downs/light freeride/North Shore I'd pitch it against any other hardtail on the planet.

The frame is just ridiculously strong.

trail_rat
    Free Member

used to do my paper round(circa 50 miles a week) on a near 50lb coyote dh3 with monster Ts and big uns ….

used to tear round the town at nights on it too … i was 14 ! – might explain a few things !

_tom_
    Free Member

My trailstar is about 32lbs I think. Used to use it for a bit of everything but I have a road bike now which is lightning fast in comparison. I think riding a heavy bike with slow tyres helped to build up the fitness a bit. Still use the Trailstar for everything off road, something lighter might be nicer for climbing but I don't think I'd have any faith in it for downhill and jumping.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Used to ride around on a 36lb bike – a spesh enduro with a coil and full dh build because that's what I also used it for. It's fine if your relative fit but after a while you really start to notice the drag of the weight over singletrack where the bike just doesn't pick up speed so well. Currrently riding a Nicolai (you know the one) and weight is down to 30lbs. But for DH days it will go up to over 36lbs again with a coil damper and dh wheels/tyres.
    I weigh 105kg so I need something strong though so I'd not go lighter than this.

ianpinder
    Free Member

Lol, geetee, your going to be shocked at the weight of my new bike.

julians
    Free Member

I ride a 2005 enduro, it weighs ~33lbs and is my only bike.

I dont find the relatively heavy weight a problem, I'm generally last to the top of a hill, but thats probably more to do with my lack of fitness than the weight of the bike.

Having said that , I'd make it lighter if I thought I could do so without sacrificing the way it goes downhill, but I dont think I can do that, so I'll keep it as it is.

oxforddan
    Free Member

Yep ,rode a couple of patriots for a few years – xc , trail and light down hill. My first one was coil with dual crown forks. Even did the london to brighton ride on it with 2.5" tyres. I weigh 15.5 stone so found it all relative. Got a orange strange 5 now with a coil – I have built it up to 36 lbs and can ride it all day – doing the Afan monster on it in a few weeks!

trail_rat
    Free Member

assume this is a pug your talking about ton 😀

im trying to get my hands on a 2011 white one 😀

juan
    Free Member

Well since my HJ has been fubared and is waiting for me to polish it and varnish it, I have only what is normal weight down here (14 ish kg). I can ride it all day everyday. My swithc use to have 2 sets of wheels, getting the weight from 14.5 to 17.5 kgs. Riding the heavy set for more than a couple of hours was very tiresome. But then I am half ton's weight too.

pitcherpro
    Free Member

I'm the same as julians , one bike 08 pitch pro and last weighed in at 33lbs ride it to work everyday and local stuff .
    I only notice it being a bit porky compared to friends bikes when on long climbs , but is usually out in front on the fun bits 😉

My bike weighs more but i weigh less than others so not that bothered! Just enjoy riding .

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I weigh 9 stone bang on, & recently bought a Marin 140mm Wolf Ridge that comes in at 32.6lbs.
    Not my only bike 'cos i have an 04 Mount Vision that weighs 26lb & i've been riding that for 6yrs.

I'm fitter & stronger than i was a few yrs ago & i honestly believe that had i bought the WR 3 yrs ago i would have hated it. However, as my fitness progressed so did my ability so now – whilst i'm still cr@p – i can now cope with the weight of the bike on the uphills. OK, its never going to win races but i can keep up with my mates or even beat some of them on the climbs & i find it very ridable on techy single track etc.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Used to ride my Nicolai FR which was about 35/36 out all the time,Including 20+ mile xc rides

Got a Nicolai ION which is 40+lbs and i ride it to and from my local spot its about 3 miles each way,Its ok on the flat and going down,you can feel the weight on the climbs.

toys19
    Free Member

Cotic bfe with fox 140 van 32lbs
    bullit with pace forks carbon cranks carbon bars, xc wheels avid elixirs with 160mm discs 32 lbs
    bullit with van 36 and beefy wheels brakes etc 37 lbs
    battery with totems 41 lbs

I'm 90kg..

Coyote
    Free Member

Used to have a Kona Stinky Six from 2001 that I rode with single crown Marzocchi 150mm forks. Damn I miss that bike.

Spaceman
    Free Member

I used to use a 42lbs Banshee Chaparral with Boxxers on it for everything as I could only afford one bike and it had to do everything up to and including DH.
    It did climb very well for it's weight so wasn't too much of a bind on longer rides. It was so much better than my mate's G Spot that weighed about 7lbs less but bobbed like **** when sat down pedalling and had a slack seat tube that put you over the back wheel when the seat was up.

As I've put on weight since I broke the Banshee, my all up weight now is more on my 26lbs Prince Albert than it was back then, so I don't think bike weight is really that much of an issue!

druidh
    Free Member

My mmmbop comes in at over 27lbs, but I'd not want to be riding something as heavy as that all of the time.

ton

reason i am asking is…….today i had a go on a 18lb hartail.
    on a offroad footpath in a park over tree roots and down a couple of steps.
    how do people ride bikes that are so light, it felt terrible, it felt like if i stood up to pedal that the frame would snap.
    surley the power a good racer puts thru the pedals causes a shed load of flex on a frame so light.
    and god knows what the thing would have felt like riding down anything rocky.
    my ventana weighs 36lb and seems pretty light and nippy to me.

br
    Free Member

Ton

Feeling terrible is probably due more to the geometry than the weight.

geetee1972
    Free Member

reason i am asking is…….today i had a go on a 18lb hartail.

Grabs megaphone and in a clear loud voice hails

THIS THREAD IS (NOW) USELESS WITHOUT PICS

Ton, the man mountain, on an 18lb hardtail. Man I would sell my child to see a picture of that!

ton

geometry was good it was a specialized

geetee1972…………..bastid……. 😉

Big-Dave
    Free Member

For the last couple of winters I've done most of my road riding on a Thorn Sherpa touring bike. I've no idea how much it weighs but I suspect some fully sussers are lighter. I ride it because it is dependable and handles well in bad weather but I think it does make riding my lighter bikes a more pleasant experience when the weather improves.

I'd like to say it improves my fitness (big hills + heavy bike = greater strength) but I think I cancel out any benefits with beer…

AndrewBF
    Free Member

Have just been outside with the weighing machine.

Orange P7 / Rohloff / Hope Tech M4 / Fox Vanilla / Thudbuster = 34.5lbs 😮

Orange G2 / Singlespeed / Hope Mono Mini / Rockshox J2 = 29lbs (y)

5.5lb / 2.5kg of way too much weight somewhere.

The difference in the two is night and day when lifting and riding. It it so surprising that 2.5kg (a Camelbak of liquid and a bag of goodies etc.) can make such a difference. That the weight on the P7 is all on the rear axle doesn't help much as the bike is so unbalanced.

Still, as mentioned above – it all helps with the fitness training 🙂

yesiamtom
    Free Member

ss inbred with fox 32 130mms = dead on 30 pounds. Thats also running a 2.4/2.25 nobby nic tubeless on hope pro/ztr crest rims.

With exotic carbon rigids it drops to about 27 pounds iirc.

Im only 10'4 but probably get closer to 11 with a full rucksack bottle etc. These two builds do all my XC and any trail centres ive been too.

I dont really notice the weight so much and actually tihnk the fox's are more fun to ride with however on the uphills they shed so much power because of no lock out and my slight inability to climb with bouncy forks. To used to leaning on the bars and grinding as fast as possible.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I rode my 06 S-Works Enudro up Whites level (S Wales) when it was in full "Alps" kit. Coil shock, Fox 36 Van R's and DH wheels and 2.5 High Rollers 😀

It was about 38Lbs? and I kept up with 12 mates pretty well. mix of whippet racing snakes, skinny southerners, hardcore northern types

Thankfully I had an uplift sorted for the following day at Cwmcarn cos I was ****'d

Onzadog
    Free Member

I used to ride a 23 lb hardtail and I'd have to agree with Ton, it just didn't feel planted enough.

Lord of the Loops is a 100km enduro around the peaks. Took me 11 hours first time.

ianpinder
    Free Member

I am just about to purchase a ibis tranny, and even in a heavy build it should come in at 23lbs.

lol haha the abuse it's gonna get.

ton

ianpinder…………seriously?

druidh
    Free Member

ianpinder – Member
    I am just about to purchase a ibis tranny, and even in a heavy build it should come in at 23lbs.

lol haha the abuse my arse is gonna get.

T.FIFY

Lovely, fast and flickable but the stiffest rear end I've ever ridden!

juiced
    Free Member

my FR ht weighs about 36 lbs. Ride it most days at the moment. It's so stable on DH's. 😆

Kahurangi

My commute bike is a brick. Heavy and reliable stuff. I call it 'training'.

It does make my MTB feel incredibly nimble and quick though, so probably not the answer you're after.

djflexure

Normally ride evil sov – heavy. But nice.

Pluck out Ti hardtail for races/ events – much lighter, much much faster.

ianpinder
    Free Member

Yup it's going to be immense.

Fox 32 831 forks,
    1 x 10spd xtr
    thompson stem/seatpost
    rf atlas bars
    crank bros wheels
    nobbly nic tyres.

solid kit in a light bike.

Sirlickalot
    Free Member

An Alpine 160. Don't know how much it weighs. Don't care. It weighs more than my last bike by a couple of bags of sugar. If you can't cope with that you're a big gayer.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘riding a heavy bike all the time'’ is closed to new replies.