Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Riding 100 miles on road- how doable is it…..
  • lobby_dosser
    Free Member

for a lardy mountain biker? I want to get back in shape and I find it easier once I set myself a goal. Therefore, I’m thinking of signing up for the 100 miler Pedal for Scotland on the 6th of September- which is 26 days from now.

cloudnine
    Free Member

It’s gonna hurt.. But you could do it.
    Distance is all in the head. Slow steady pace and lots of cake.
    Just break it down to 4 x 25mile rides… You can easily do 25 miles

hammyuk
    Free Member

If you hang on the rubber rings will be on sale as summer has finished….

butcher

Depends how much climbing. A flat 100 miler and a mountainous one are far from the same thing. A flat one is easily doable…it’s just a long time sat on a bike, so make sure you’re comfortable.

A hilly one will hurt a bit more. Take longer. Break you down quicker… As long as it’s not mental you should be OK.

simondbarnes

It’s fine if you take it steady. I’d done bugger all riding this year but jumped on my touring bike a month or so ago and rode 110 miles. Did 100 miles the following Sunday on my cross bike. Both slow and steady with a few stops.

cdaimers

I did 100 miles a couple of years ago for charity with no training. The issue I had was sitting down and having a tough enough backside to cope with it.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Just break it down to 4 x 25mile rides… You can easily do 25 miles

Yeah 25 miles is doable, it’s doing it 4 times. 😮

I’m thinking of riding the course in sections before the ride so that I know what’s coming.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

That’s all positive folks- you just helped me make up my mind…. i’ll just need to get some slicks for my spitfire.

pete68
    Free Member

My wifes gone from struggling to do 20 miles at the start of the year, to done 13 100+ milers in 14 days. The other day was 75 miles that included climbing mt ventoux. If you put your mind to it , I’m sure you can do it.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

i’ll just need to get some slicks for my spitfire.

yeah, you kind of missed out the bit about doing it on a full sus 😯

cloudnine
    Free Member

Road bike would be easier.. Personally wouldn’t want to ride a mtb 100miles on the road…

simondbarnes

It’ll be shit on a full sus but still doable

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

sorry I forgot the smiley. I’ll be doing it on my little used road bike- I just need to get it tweaked and its ready to go. I might invest in a computer and a new saddle. Any recommendations?

hammyuk
    Free Member

I’ve just got an ISM Prologue – so so so comfortable!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Good comfy pair of bib shorts if you dont have them and some minty arse cream (chamois cream). Just use strava and a phone.

ton

lobby dosser, i did 117 miles on my mtb last thursday.
    something i thought i might never do again, and it was fantastic.

oh, and i am far lardier a mtber than most…….. 😀

br
    Free Member

Based on a MTBer I ride with who struggles to do 25 miles off-road yet can do +100 miles on the road with ease – I’d suggest, it can’t be hard other than just sat on a saddle for ever.

steveoath
    Free Member

echo the above. Get a good quality set of bib shorts, and the bum cream!

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

oh, and i am far lardier a mtber than most….

If it was Top Tumps, I think I would be a good card to have 8)

white101

Having done 70 on my cx bike on Saturday for charideee I can def recommend a comfy pair of shorts with good padding and a comfy saddle as the most important thing. We did it with a mixed age/ability group and generally went at the same speed as the slowest rider. We took just short of 7hrs. My iphone running strava was on its last legs come the finish line, whereas I was pretty comfortable. The steady speed and regular food made life easier. But the rear end was a bit tender that night!

mr_stru

Worth spending a bit of time making sure your position on the bike is comfy. Little niggles add up over that sort of distance.

scotroutes

Don’t stop at the first feed station. There’s a hill right after it and you’re better to go up with warm legs. 😀

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

I too am in similar position and have just had built what I think to be a perfect machine for the job, a ss ti 29er running a 2:1 ratio just to make things gruelling 😛

Apparently ss makes things easier as you keep a steady pace rather than faffing around with 11 + gears. SOD THAT!

So all in all, my heart, body and even soul will thank me once I have lost all the weight.

Only problem is I get the munchies big time when I get back from a ride.
    If I could accomplish 100miles, I would be a happy chappy like Ton up ^.

Gotta say Ton – well done bud for giving me some extra courage to be thinking and planning to do much longer rides. Have a 🙂 on the house.

simon_g

I made it round the RideLondon 100 with minimal preparation. Limiting factor really was pain in my feet and hands – try to get some 3hr+ rides in to make sure your shoes are OK (cleat position, etc) and bar/STI position is comfy for longer periods.

Other than that, eat and drink plenty and it’ll be fine.

antigee

i’d think twice about swopping a saddle just before a long ride unless you really hate the current one

grannyjone
    Free Member

I ride the MTB two to three times per week and the furthest I’ve ridden in one day is 47 miles and it was a killer.

carrying a heavy camelback full of food and drink to last such a distance was enough in itself!

Couldn’t imagine doing 100 miles especially if I hadn’t ridden for a long time.

BigDummy
    Free Member

100 miles on the road bike is about the same as a 30 mile hike I reckon: it’s perfectly doable if you’re in reasonable shape, nothing goes wrong and you pace yourself. But you’ll have some stretches when you definitely aren’t enjoying yourself.

🙂

spooky_b329

The main issue with 100 miles on a road bike is boredom! An hour into the ride and realising you have another five hours of tarmac to go…I find day dreaming helps 🙂

m1kea
    Free Member

Echo everyone else’s thoughts, especially antigees saddle comment. Don’t change anything at the last minute. Get a couple of 2 – 3 hour rides in on the road bike ASAP and then see how you’ve got on.

globalti
    Free Member

100 miles on a road bike, especially an endurance type bike like a Roubaix, is a breeze as long as you’ve got: A chaingang with whom you can share the work. Plenty of carbs. A flattish route, i.e. Cheshire not Lancashire.

I wouldn’t fancy it with the relatively upright position and the weight of a mountain bike though.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Good advice folks thanks. Thats me signed up- training starts on Saturday 😕

cloudnine
    Free Member

Training needs to start today!!

20 mile ride tonight and 30-40 on saturday…

Fantombiker

Lots of good advice above. Pace yourself, don’t go too fast at the begining….

montag
    Free Member

Just make sure you eat loads, and take your time.

The climbing will make a difference – 100 miles flat is pretty easy but hills can make it very tough.

Saccades
    Free Member

Use witch hazel every night after a shower to toughen up in the lead up (splash around your gooch).

Use a good chamois creme to keep things peachy when cycling.

Use ibuprofen/neurofen alternatively every 2 hours to prevent pain and reduce next day pain.

Use sudocreme after each spin to help with peachyness.

Ride at 65%.

Drink more high5 than you think you should.

What works for me doing 200km hilly challenges on an alfined pompino as a 100kg+ lump.

btw – a flat 100er is loads easier than a hilly one.

oh, draft!

properjob
    Free Member

I agree with Saccades. get in a good group and never go on the front. That is perfectly acceptable road riding behaviour

Saccades
    Free Member

I never said that – I said draft, if you can you take your turn on the front.

nikk
    Free Member

Ride at 65%.

This.

Start out slow, get slower, but keep going. Do not push it AT ALL, in the 1st 2 hours especially. Make a point of riding almost comically slowly. If you are breathing heavy, you have overdone it already.

From here to the event, ride as much as possible. Do x hours till your ass hurts. Have a day off. Do x+ 1/2 hrs. Have a day off. Do x + 1 hour, have a day off. If you can ride 4+ hours without too much discomfort, you have cracked it (pun intended).

Germoline creme on your ass before ride, and after if needed. Keep things clean and numbed down there.

Stretch before ride. If getting stiff, stop and stretch.

Drink sports drink, little and often. Light feed every 3 hours. Jelly babies in between.

steveoath
    Free Member

I like talking to the older roadies 60+ as they usually have good stories. Remind me of my Papa (r.i.p.). Failing that, audiobooks/podcasts help with the boredom.

antigee

riding in a group and chatting OK, fun and useful taking turns if a headwind

suggest be careful about getting into a group just to save energy – can end up at a pace that is a bit too high and then blow up 🙁 plus tendency to not stop to eat when you think you should

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Riding 100 miles on road- how doable is it…..’ is closed to new replies.