Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Ridgeway – Foxhill to Goring / Basingstoke canal path / Strawberry Hill atm
  • doordonot
    Free Member

Hi folks,

I’m planning a mini mtb adventure later this week and it would be useful to know a bit about the current trail conditions given the likely adverse weather conditions I could be facing. So …

1. What are the conditions of the Ridgeway along the Foxhill – Goring section? Is it currently a mud-fest with 3ft deep puddles in the ruts, or hard and fast? I’m anticipating the former but hoping for the latter…

2. From then its weaving my way through to Surrey Hill and then down to Basingstoke canal which apparently is ride-able. On the way from Surrey Hill to the canal, there looks to be some nice trails to the east of The Maultway, or is that off-limits army/para country?

3. Does anyone ride the north-eastern part of the Basingstoke canal? Is it possible to link up with the Thames path by going under the M25, alongside the River Wey and then joining Walton Lane and then getting back on to the canal?

4. Finally, is it possible to ride trails in Hampton Court park?

Thanks.

doordonot
    Free Member

Bump … Anyone ride these places?

DavidB
    Free Member

1. You’re suspicisions are correct. Sorry

theotherjonv

2. Yes, some trails. On the OS map, the bit called Westend Common / Chobham Ridges is a grenade and old artillery range so fenced off, but there is a fireroad that parallels the Maultway outside the fence. Then a bit further south on Porridgepot Hill there’s plenty. There was a Gorrick race there last w/e so prob easy to find trails. It is MOD land so behave if there are troops about, stay out of the way and obey their orders.

3. Yes.

weeksy

1. Bloody awful.

london_lady
    Free Member

4. Hampton Court park? Do you mean Bushy Park?

moopet

4. It is possible and I’ve ridden them on a CX bike a few times myself, though not for a few years as I’m not currently a local there. They get quite torn up around this time as bits are also ridden by horses at the weekend. They’re not really ‘trail-y’, more a bumpy multi-use route on grass, but it certainly beats the roads around there which are very busy and in need of repair.

Edit: Also assuming that you mean Bushy Park here.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Ridgeway – Foxhill to Goring / Basingstoke canal path / Strawberry Hill atm’ is closed to new replies.