Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Ridge tile repair costs
  • vorlich
    Free Member

Recent winds have displaced one of the ridge tiles on my roof. But TBH the whole ridgeline needs re-cementing. I’ve just had the first quote to replace the broken vent ridge tile and lift and re-cement the rest. The quote is £680, which is around £400 more than I was expecting.

What is a realistic price to carry out this work? The house is an 3 bed, end-terrace. Should I tell him to sling his hook?

geoffj

Depends on access. Insurance? Have you asked for a breakdown pf costs?

Dobbo

Hire roof ladder and do it yourself, not a hard job. Do it on a calm day though! I did mine, quite a nice job but I’m like a monkey.

sv

We have a 2 storey house and were quoted £4000 to redo the ridge tiles. £2000 of that was for scaffolding 😮

vorlich
    Free Member

I don’t think insurance is really an option, given only one tile is displaced. The rest of the job is maintenance. Access is straightforward.

Unfortunately, I don’t like heights – otherwise I absolutely would!

£4k! Christ!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

One of ours came off in those winds we had in early January, guy from local roofers came out & gave a quote to re-bed the lot, there’s 22 on the roofline & another 4 on the bathroom sticky out bit, he quoted £596 inc VAT. I phoned the insurance company (AXA through M&S) to ask what to do next, IE how many quotes did they want, evidence etc & she said ‘don’t worry, we’ll pay the amount into your a/c within 5 days, which they did.
    Quite pleased.

deadslow

Price depends whether they are prepared to shin up a ladder with a bloke at the bottom and ignore working height regulations or they have a mate with a scaffolding company. You pays your money and takes your choice….

jota180
    Free Member

Get up the roof – it’s simple enough

The only arse twitching bit is the first step back onto the ladder from the roof ladder

joeegg
    Free Member

I had all the ridge tiles recemented on a commercial property and some gable end pointing done.Two guys,nearly a days time,£150.
    Recently did my terrace house myself . The heights don’t really bother me as much as a bloody big bill(Yorkshireman).
    Some tradesmen really do take the mick for what is an easy job.

vorlich
    Free Member

One of ours came off in those winds we had in early January, guy from local roofers came out & gave a quote to re-bed the lot, there’s 22 on the roofline & another 4 on the bathroom sticky out bit, he quoted £596 inc VAT. I phoned the insurance company (AXA through M&S) to ask what to do next, IE how many quotes did they want, evidence etc & she said ‘don’t worry, we’ll pay the amount into your a/c within 5 days, which they did.
    Quite pleased.

Interesting. We’re with M&S too, I might try that. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

vorlich
    Free Member

Get up the roof

Negative. Made it up to the second story one time, but the ladder wobbling did not appeal. Ended up sending the father in law up instead. :mrgreen:

konaboy2275
    Free Member

I had a 3 bed detatched house which we had a few loose slates on, got those fixed, all the ridge tiles reseated and mortered along with the retaining rods then plastic facias and new guttering for £650. They were a bit rough and ready to look at but did a good job.

Think someone is trying it on with you a bit…

If you’re near Manchester / Bury I’ve got their phone number somewhere.

richc
    Free Member

All depends on if they need to use scaffolding or not, if they are following the rules they won’t do it off roof ladders as if they fall they won’t get shit from there insurance.

However 4K seems a lot as I got my 5 bed house re-roofed for around 6K (excluding scaffolding)

I had a 3 bed detatched house which we had a few loose slates on, got those fixed, all the ridge tiles reseated and mortered along with the retaining rods then plastic facias and new guttering for £650. They were a bit rough and ready to look at but did a good job.

That is very very cheap, for new facias, guttering and ridge tiles. Did they have irish accents by any chance.

If you have a slate roof you need to be careful as if you break any of the edge tiles (this is much more of a risk if your roof is built using spanish rather than welsh slate as its thinner), they can have to end up taking nearly all of the tiles off to the replace them as removing the copper nails is a bastard. Which would make your initial quote seem cheap

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Ridge tile repair costs’ is closed to new replies.