• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by TomB.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Ridge above Buttermere? – Lake District.
  • jekkyl

I’m considering a ride in a few weeks starting from Buttermere riding round on the road to Ennerdale and then climbing up Scarth gap from the YHA. My question is… is the ridge along the top there any good for riding? (cheeky obvs) Talking about Seat, High Crag, High Stile, Red Pike. The elevation figures on the OS maps don’t differ hugely for those summits making me think there might be some riding there.. Is it all massive boulders or bog or what, so it’ll be stop. start. shoulder bike. ride a bit. walk a bit. pita or is there some sweet skyline lake district singletrack?
    Thanks.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Asked this last week.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/lakes-red-pikehigh-stilehigh-crag

Was planning to do it the weekend just gone, but the weather conspired against me, and by the time I’d got down from Grizedale Pike/Coledale Hause/Whiteless Pike all I wanted to do was get warm and dry.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Hmmm. Sort of yes, sort of no.

It’s in this video here-

Shredding the Lake District with a trail dog and a drone camera

The bulk of the High Stile descent is really steep and nadgery. It’d rideable but not necessarily enjoyable, and not worth the massive hike up Red Pike. The traverse across the top has stunning views but is a bit lumpy and tedious. I’ve done it twice, once on an evening and it was fine, and once on a windy day and the wind made the descent mostly unrideable.

I’d rather do up Honister Pass, down Warnscale then up Scarth Gap and down.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lowey

Some great views but as a ride, the traverse of the ridge is not one I would do again.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/uKc9eF]IMAG0512[/url] by Dave Lowe, on Flickr

jekkyl

Thanks Lads. I’ll take a look then, I want to cycle through the Ennerdale valley and pretty much have my heart set on doing this and was looking at ways of ending it with some elevation. Also, don’t go putting such pictures up!!! I’m at work!

lowey

If your doing that, From Buttermere, take the BW up past Floutern Tarn and drop into Whins. Then take the forest road up to Black Sail, but instead of going back over Scarth (boring), go further up the valley and climb up Loft Beck, cycle over to Brandreth, take the excellent path down to Honister Top Quarry, turn left and come down the Excellent Warnscale BW back to Buttermere.

Loft Beck is a carry, but well worth it.

Let me know if you want a GPX.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve got walklakes up on screen now Dave, that looks a winner!

boxelder

The Buttermere ridge isn’t cheeky – BW all the way!
    Not worth the carrying/pushing though

ton

Not worth the carrying/pushing though

deffo not worth doing twice……… 😆

Jeremy Ashcroft has a hell of a lot to answer for.
    funny how a line grabs your imagination.
    ‘the feasible limit of mountainbiking in the U.K today’.

boxelder

If there was a decent descent at either end, it would be fine.

richardkennerley

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I’m planning a bit of riding over that way for a mini adventure in the future.

I’m thinking of riding from Buttermere to Keswick over Grisedale Pike. I know this is all cheeky, but is it feasible and if so what’s the best route to take?

Ultimately, I want to do an overnighter, start at Keswick and ride to Buttermere via Watlendath then Styhead, Black sail, Scarth gap. Stop at Buttermere then back to Keswick and take in Skiddaw.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Richard,
    Keswick to Buttermere via Watendlath = just follow Borrowdale Bash route as far as Seatoller, then up Honister and down Wharnscale

Buttermere to Keswick = up Sail Beck and down Rigg Beck
    or up Robinson and down Scope End
    Skiddaw doesn’t really “fit” into the route easily but you could add it in as an extra loop, up the main track and down scree slope onto Ullock Pike.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Lowey, you’re doing Loft Beck to Honister the wrong way. 😉
    Loft Beck as a descent is “interesting”. 😈

lowey

Not really mate. Loft Beck down is beyond my skill level. Wouldn’t be much fun for me.

TomB

Easiest way to grisedale pike from buttermere is up gasgale gill from lanthwaite green. Not a ride, but not too evil. Pops you out at coledale hause.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Ridge above Buttermere? – Lake District.’ is closed to new replies.