Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Rides/trails within an hour of Oxford
  • orangefatlad
    Free Member

Due to work I’m staying over in Oxford during the week, I’m determined to get out for a few night rides instead of staying staring at the walls! Can anyone give me a heads-up on any good routes and trails? don’t mind driving but no more than around an hour.

I’ve got a couple of O/S maps which would normally be my starting point but if someone could point me in the right direction (literally!) it would be much appreciated. More singletrack the better, but will ride owt!

Many thanks

spikyjames
    Free Member

Swinley Forrest is just down the road, http://www.gorrick.com/swinley/index.php

singletracksurfer

down the M40 to the Chilterns. Around Stoner, Turville etc will be best after the rain we are forecast.

orangefatlad
    Free Member

which trails are the best at Swinley, and how long will it take to do a circuit? Bearing in mind I’m a fat lad!

Jase
    Free Member

Woburn?

Macgyver

a bit closer to town you can find a few trails on Boars Hill or on Shotover. They are the sort of place you probably wouldn’t bother with during the day as there’s only a bit to do and there’s too many walkers but it’s entertaining enough for a night ride. Depends on where you are staying really.

Also at Swindon you have the Croft trail which is good for a few loops and no need to worry about navigation on unfamilar ground.

singletracksurfer

you’d need a guide at Swinley to find the trails or at least to get you back out.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Boars Hill or Shotover.
    In the Chilterns – start in Watlington or Woodcote. Or Grim’s Ditch near Mongewell.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Might be best to see if you can hook up with a local riding group. The Buckled Wheel group in Newbury (about 30 mins down the road) go out on Tuesday and Thursday nights at about half six. There’s a web site somewhere for them. Sure there are ones closer to Oxford though.

Some good rides in the chilterns and Swinley is fun too but if you don’t know it well you’ll definitely need a guide in the dark. I’d offer to show you around but too many Xmas parties this week 🙂

nbt

When I was down that way last year I met up with a group from STW, started near the hospital on a Tuesday evening and had a great ride. see here for more

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/didcot-abindgon-night-rides

gusamc
    Free Member

see W + E of A34, between N of Newbury and around Ridgeway, can do some nice loops there (Chieveley, Ridgeway, East Ilsey, Beedon etc)

See Reading, Caversham, head W on Nside of Thames, Pangbourne, Goring then loop N/Eish and then SEish round on tracks that lead back to Caversham finishing thu lane on golf course (*sorry at work, limited facilities) – lots there

See Wallingford, E on Grims, bridleway then be cheeky, I then go S and loop down to and do Thames path back up but more stiles than ideal

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

There’s a cycle club ased in Abingdon that go out on a Tuesday night (only 7 miles from Oxford) and many rides head out to Boars Hill. It’s not quite the same as somewhere like Swinley but there are pleasent enough rides and once you have cycled up Boars Hill a couple of times in an evening you will be welcoming your post ride beverage. There’s nothing especially technical on the rides but they are good fun and they are usually pretty welcoming – especially Kevin. Check out Abingdon Freeweheeling or their facebook page. linky thing

rOcKeTdOg

NW Alps is about 59 mins away http://a-pic-a-ride.blogspot.com/

nerd
    Free Member

Stonesfield Biking Mecca ™

adeward
    Free Member

I think there was a route published in mbr( may be another mag) last month around watlinton stoner etc we did it a couple of weeks ago very good indeed some excelent trails that would have never found

johnny

Riding from Watlington is good, especially as it’s the best place to start with from Oxford. Head from there over to Turville way and back will make for a good ride. There’s an MBR route around and also a Singletrack one from a couple of years ago.

I should be out riding on Friday morning if the weather is not too foul- email in profile if you fancy.

weeksy

see W + E of A34, between N of Newbury and around Ridgeway, can do some nice loops there (Chieveley, Ridgeway, East Ilsey, Beedon etc)

See Reading, Caversham, head W on Nside of Thames, Pangbourne, Goring then loop N/Eish and then SEish round on tracks that lead back to Caversham finishing thu lane on golf course (*sorry at work, limited facilities) – lots there

Lots yes, but not exciting. I live just by East Ilsley and there’s hours after hours of riding round here… but mostly not Singletrack and mostly not tight and twisty apart from a few sections.

However, bloody good fun.

I don’t really do night riding often OP, but if you wanna do some afternoon rides i can be available. email me etc.

davidj

In early 2009, a crack faffing unit was sent to ride in the woods by a kangaroo court for crimes against fashion they didn’t commit. These men promptly escaped from maximum security office blocks to the Oxfordshire countryside. Today, still wanted by their significant other halves, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can ride with… The DT-Team.
    BRATATATATATATATATATA

Macgyver

“crimes against fashion they didn’t commit”
    Don’t be so hasty, I think Trimix may have have some outstanding arrest warrants in that department.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Rides/trails within an hour of Oxford’ is closed to new replies.