Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Rides off the M6
  • ChrisL

Next weekend I'll be driving down south (from Edinburgh) to visit a friend in Macclesfield. It's been suggested that he meet drive north to meet me partway through my journey so we can go for a ride.

The Lakes and the Yorkshire Dales seem to be a decent meeting point. Obviously there's tons of riding in these areas. However ideally something close to the M6 and very easily navigated would be greatly preferred.

Trail centres are obviously very easy to navigate, I know that there's Whinlatter and Grizedale in the Lakes, with Grizedale being closest to the M6 I think. Are they any good? Any other recommendations?

grumm
    Free Member

Whinlatter is pretty good, generally swoopy and jumpy – nothing technical. Grizedale NFT is pretty poor and quite short, not really worth it imo.

One good option would be a ride from Sedbergh in the Howgills – very close to the Motorway and some fantastic riding. Have a look at the bogtrotters site for routes.

The descent from Bram Rigg Top to Winder is super-fast with loads of little drop offs and incredible views, one of my favourites.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Yeah, The Calf would make a good day out, starting from Sedbergh

Pook

second the Calf and Sedbergh

my last ride up there

ChrisL

Given the driving involved on the day in question, a short ride is more suitable than a day out!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

a short ride is more suitable than a day out!

the short version, just up and down takes about 2h15m, depending how much time you spend taking in the view at the top 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

High Cup Nick is an out & back sort of ride & reasonably close to the M6

http://www.offroadadventures-online.com/rr009.html

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Orton/Tebay are both bang on M6 with good riding. Short rides abound. Grizedale and Whinlatter are nowhere near M6!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Rides off the M6’ is closed to new replies.