Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Rides near Woolacombe
  • moscow
    Free Member

Off to Woolacombe at start of September for a couple of weeks.
    Taking the bikes.
    Anyone know of any descent riding around the area. Or within an hours driving from there.

ceepers

Yes!

Look at strava or check the thread from a couple of months ago

moscow
    Free Member

Newbe me never saw the thread.
    You have a link?

kayak23

It’s naughty, but the coast path from Ilfracombe to Woolacombe is pretty nice with some fun bits. Just be very respectful of walkers. You can ride back to Ilfracombe on the Tarka trail. Big climb out of woolly but nice and downhill after that.

Drive for longer and you have the Fly up downhill uplift at Gawton which is great.

zippykona

Head to South fork in Braunton they will sort you out. They used to have a map.
    There is an excellent loop from Woolacombe out as far as Braunton.
    Being in Woolacombe you will end up with some single track from puttsborough (the baggy point end of woolly beach) which has the best view I’ve had on a bike.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I will be down in Braunton as of Friday with a car full of bikes. Done plenty of road round there but never off road. I will let you know what I find.

lump

Loads of cheeky stuff around the coast path. Exemoor is not far, and some amazing stuff there. Also Dartmoor

ceepers

Also exmoor, the vertebrate guide book, valley of rocks or Brendan common ride.

noteeth
    Free Member

Also exmoor, the vertebrate guide book…Brendan common ride

Rode it about two weeks ago – excellent route.

jkomo

Have a go at Challacombe hill, it’ll warm you up a treat.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Have a go at Challacombe hill, it’ll warm you up a treat.

I tackled that beast after an eighty mile loop of Exmoor. I could have cried I shit you not.

zippykona

It’s a monster that hill. Back in my glory days I would attack at the top. Now it’s sick up my dinner.

jobro
    Free Member

I live near Woolacombe. Not that much about to be honest,and what there is will probably need a local. But to second ZippyKona, a trip to Southfork in Braunton will be your best starting point. That Sustrans route from Woolacombe to Puts is dead pretty though. Better done as a run I think with a continuation around Baggy point (if thats your thing!)

ceepers

Challacombe hill is a fun one, there’s an off-road cheeky option up Potters hill on the footpath behind the marine drive car park hut, it’s a pretty stiff climb. Also cheeky but there’s a climb/ descent up the old donkey track to twitchen camp site in morte hoe and a descent from that site down the combesgate valley too both off the woolacombe esplanade

Also There’s a weekly locals ride from Braunton car park at 6.30 on a Tuesday evening. Visitors welcome!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Rides near Woolacombe’ is closed to new replies.