Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Rides in the New forest – help !
  • justa
    Free Member

Going to the New forest this weekend – a family weekend but I'm hoping to sneak out for a ride on Saturday.

I'm staying in a village called Hale – don't know whether to take my road bike as the roads look nice and quiet or my mtb…

Any advice from locals ?

cheers

peteimpreza
    thomthumb
    Free Member

come to the big bike bash.

http://www.bigbikebash.co.uk/

uplink
    Free Member

I'm not sure that the roads around there are particularly quiet in August

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Hello Stranger..

😆

justa
    Free Member

hello mate 🙂

been a while i must admit….

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Fritham – Frogham; http://www.tax-back.net/fritham.htm
    A bit of googling (or keyword searching on here?) & you'll get more info on the route.
    There's a nice pub at each end i'm told. 🙂

scaredypants

Hale near Fordingbridge? That's very near to me (but I'm a bit stuck this w/e)

Fritham to Frogham is OK, and one of the few permitted rides (but you could do better 😉 )

I've a mate with a satmap GPS & he's got some nice routes that we've done on nightrides. There's a couple that pass very near to where you are. If you want I'll try to tap him up for a route or two (15 miles each(ish), couple of hours). It is a bit of a bog in parts and you do need a map (I can lend you one) or GPS if you don't know the area (just exploring can get you very wet feet – we spent 20min walking across a bog last night, WITH the satmap)
    It's generally nice & dry just now though. Supposed to rain tomorrow & brighten again. Unless it chucks it down things'll be nice offroad (quite sandy in much of that area anyway, so better when damp)

If you just want to prat about in slightly hilly woods & can give you some tips too (there's a little jump or two in parts)

ALternatively, there is a nice bit of roadage round there – a niceish 20 mile or so loop using part of the roger penny way just down the road from you, & easily extendable to more

If you can't make the BBB and want more info, let me know

justa
    Free Member

thanks scaredypants

won't make the BBB but thanks for the heads up folks

it is Hale nr Fordingbridge….

The road route sounds tempting….

rOcKeTdOg

hi justa, watch out for the wild ponies and horses! might see you there

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Rides in the New forest – help !’ is closed to new replies.