Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Rides from Ladybower?
  • deejayen
    Free Member

I’ll be staying at Ladybower for a couple of nights, and wondered what some of the local rides are like. I probably won’t have much time to ride, but I might fit in one or two evening rides to keep my legs ticking over. Also, I’m not sure what bike I’ll be taking, but it could be a recumbent, in which case I probably wouldn’t want to ride anything too steep. Perhaps something around 10-20 miles with the option to extend it, and with easy navigation, and quiet roads. I’m not asking for much!

I’m not sure what the terrain is like there, but I see mention of ‘Snake Road’, and I have a feeling it might be one of those roads listed in compendiums such as “The 10 tuffest climbs in the universe”.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Prime MTB territory

The A57 (Snake) is the main road from Sheffield to Manchester. Looks God awful to ride on a road bike and I’d suggest pretty awful on a recumbent purely due to high speed narrow road and traffic.

Over the bridge to Bamford gives access to flattet terrain but big hills are pretty much unavoidable.

Some good loop potential Hope/Bradwell/Tideswell/Bakewell direction.

GHill

No idea how capable a recumbent is off-road, but a loop of the Ladybower, Derwent, Howden complex of reservoirs would certainly be a nice option. Think farm track in terms of how rough it is (at its worst, some of it is tarmac).

Don’t bother with the A57 unless you’ve got a death wish.

deejayen
    Free Member

Thanks for that. It’s helpful to know that Snake Road isn’t what I thought it was!

The recumbent isn’t great on loose or rough surfaces, so I’ll probably take a different bike – maybe a 1965 Moulton, although I’m not sure how good that will be on farm tracks either!

jekkyl

Do you own a mountain bike Op? you know like wot this forum and mag is based on. One of those may be better for the terrain you’ll be visiting.

deejayen
    Free Member

I subscribed a few years ago with the intention of buying a mountain bike, but still haven’t got around to it!

However, I do have an old (early 90’s) Saracen – fully rigid with canti’s. I think it’s a toss-up between that or the Moulton. I’d be nervous about riding anywhere too rocky, or with steep descents, but it might be fine for that area.

I won’t have a lot of time for riding, and I suspect I’ll be tired (probably have to drive through the night to get there), so I’ll just be looking to get out in the fresh air and enjoy the change of scenery.

thepodge
    Free Member

You could easily head out from Ladybower towards Chatsworth on a recumbent bike with minimal issues.

martinhutch

You should be able to pick your way through the following on your rigid Saracen.

My recommendation would be to cross the dam from Heatherdene, go a little way around the reservoir then climb up to the Roman Road to Hope Cross, carry straight on to Blackley Clough (‘Potato Alley’), then across the Snake Pass road past Rowlee Farm to pick up the BW down through Lockerbrook.

Then either back on road to Heatherdene or up and around the back of Winstone Lee Tor if you’ve got the time.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Rides from Ladybower?’ is closed to new replies.