Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Rides from Kilsyth…
  • dmiller
    Free Member

Hey,

I just bought a house just outside of Kilsyth, Glasgow and was wondering if anyone from here abouts is local and knows of any fun trails / ways to get up to CV without using the tak me down / anything good in the colzium estate / anything good out from high banton?

I know there have been a few threads on this in the past but all I could find with google was routes from the back of wheel craft (a bit out from my new house)…

Cheers,

David.

Waderider
    Free Member

There's a wee route I've done a few times on the crosser, up from Queenzieburn past the a wee dammed loch to Meikle Bin, and then down to CV. I'd say not to a modern mtbers taste though. For the gent who likes the climb and the countryside – a lot of the height is lost on fireroad.

Still, a good place to live for getting to the highlands.

dmiller
    Free Member

up from Queenzieburn past the a wee dammed loch to Meikle Bin, and then down to CV. I'd say not to a modern mtbers taste though. For the gent who likes the climb and the countryside – a lot of the height is lost on fireroad.

Hey, does that link up to the fireroad on the east or west side of meikle bin? I'm struggling to see the link on a map – I know you must be able to do it as I have met a few hill runners that have come up that way but I just cant see it!

As for being a modern MTBer to be honest if its not got tarmac then I claim it as MTB terrain and describe it as radcore to the gnarr to my wife when I get home! 🙂

Waderider
    Free Member

That's it David, SE side, a wee bit of bog between the dammed loch and the fireroad. It's visible on Google Earth, just checked.

dmiller
    Free Member

Thats a cracking fireroad decent actually. I love hoooning down it and then when you get to the bit with the bridge at the bottom seeing how big a skid I can do!

See just before the fireroad starts, just after the round clearing bit? I did an epic mud endo there once… 🙂

Google maps has far better imagery of the area than the last time I checked – thanks for the head up!

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Just outside of Kilsyth? Which direction? I used to cycle out from Cumbernauld back in the day and there was a lot of nice wee lanes, doubletrack & singletrack. This was a good 15 years ago mind. But they probably seem shyte now or they have been built over by tons of houses.

Used to be a nice wee jaunt up croy hill over to antonine wall and some exploring in that area.

dmiller
    Free Member

Just outside of Kilsyth? Which direction?

Banton, so out to the east of Kilsyth by 2 miles… Did I mention I'm getting a coal fire? Its epic. Fire, in the house. What more does a man need? 🙂

I never thought of out to croy – good tip!

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

you can get up to CV then by riding up via the back roads behind Banknock. Not as brutal as the Tak Me Doon but still quite a slog. There used to be some good stuff in the 'Glen' in Cumbernauld but I don't know what it's like now. (as I say it's been a long time) But it's not that far from you and doesn't involve a mahoosive climb.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

also you're within cycling distance of North 3rd. EPic.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Rides from Kilsyth…’ is closed to new replies.