Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Rider knocked off bike in berkshire this morning
  • philconsequence
    Free Member

more specifically around 07:40ish at the showcase cinema roundabout between Reading and Wokingham (travelling from wokingham towards reading judging by the road positioning, several police in attendance, covered in reflective jackets on the floor with an emergency person lying on the floor next to them. looked like a regular commuter as bike was laden with bags and racks.

hope he or she is going to be ok!

several cars stopped at the scene so hopefully one of them is the driver that hit the cyclist.

tonyd

Ouch. My commute takes me across that road at the next roundabout down (Mill Lane) at around that time. Hope he/she is OK.

Do you ride that way Phil? It’s a pretty fast junction/roundabout in a car, not sure I’d want to tackle it on a bike at commute o’clock – too many people trying to beat the lights.

philconsequence
    Free Member

yeah when i ride i do exactly the route and lane the cyclist this morning was in, always make sure i’m front of the queue to set off and as i know the light cycle off by heart i tend to get a good lead away from the cars pulling away. never jump the lights themselves though as, well… drivers do tend to keep going through those lights as they turn red 🙁 guessing that’s what happened this morning.

have to say i was worried it might have been you tony! tis why i posted it on here

philconsequence
    Free Member

ahh cheers for the link anjs 🙂 glad its only minor injuries, the rider was covered in the police’s reflective jackets and somebody was lying on the floor next to them so i hoped they were to keep the cyclist warm and the person lying down was talking to them keeping them calm or something….

A 60-year-old cyclist was taken to hospital after a collision with a Volvo V70 this morning.

makes it seem like its the cyclists fault for hitting the volvo…. without knowing too many details but guessing by the way everything was positioned on the road this morning i think it should read ‘a 60 yr old cyclist was hit by a volvo v70’

tonyd

Good to hear it wasn’t too serious.

Thanks Phil – it’s nice to be thought of 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

makes it seem like its the cyclists fault for hitting the volvo

Standard way of reporting before ‘fault’ is certain – IIRC it’s usually a “bicycle was in collision with a car”

bails

Hope the rider’s okay.

Standard way of reporting before ‘fault’ is certain – IIRC it’s usually a “bicycle was in collision with a car”

It’s still an odd turn of phrase though, that does seem to make the car the ‘passive’ object in it all. They wouldn’t say “a bollard was in collision with a car” (to take an example with a truly passive object), it would be “a car was in collision with a bollard”. “A collision involving a bike and car” is a much more neutral phrase, IMO.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

That’s on my summer commute. Wishing them a speedy recovery.

philconsequence
    Free Member

agreed bails.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Bad day for Berkshire, saw the aftermath of another bike crash on the A329/nine mile ride roundabouts. Rider looked Ok though, stood up, seemed to be checking his bike out so clearly had his priorities right.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Rider knocked off bike in berkshire this morning’ is closed to new replies.