Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Rider down needs a funeral
  • Bez

I have no connection here, just spreading this in good faith.

Charlie Birmingham died when he was hit by a skip truck earlier this year, but his family are reportedly unable to pay for his funeral.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/cyclist-killed-crash-three-months-11637576

If you want to, you can donate here.

https://crowdfunding.justgiving.com/Charlie-Birmingham

Gary_M
    Free Member

The body of cyclist killed in a tragic road accident has lain in a mortuary for three months because his family are struggling to pay for his funeral.

Sad story but does that really happen if people can’t afford a funeral? Surely there must be loads of people who don’t have £4k kicking about to bury or cremate their loved ones? Do they not do council burials anymore?

I’m not being disrespectful in any way, but if the country is in such a bad way that we can’t pay to bury people any more then that’s appalling.

Edit: Apparently there’s a service available called Public Health Funerals.

MoreCashThanDash

Sad state of affairs. Funeral costs have rocketed in recent years. Seriously thinking of trying to leave my body to science, more worthwhile and cost effective than sticking me in the crem.

thecaptain
    Free Member

AIUI the council will pay for a v basic cremation, the fund raising is presumably for a real funeral.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

is it not still a legal requirement for the hospital/nhs trust were the person has died to offer a basic funeral. it was a definately a hidden fact when i worked in the public sector years ago

FuzzyWuzzy

Hmm does seem strange – the justgiving page even mentions they’ve applied for death benefit but need to raise a deposit – is £4k a deposit or whole amount?!

the-muffin-man

Seriously thinking of trying to leave my body to science, more worthwhile and cost effective than sticking me in the crem.

Apparently they don’t have to take it, if they think there’s no benefit or they have too many! (my neighbour is doing this). So you still have to make other arrangements just in case.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Rider down needs a funeral’ is closed to new replies.