Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Rider down- Manchester city centre
  • xherbivorex
    Free Member

Cyclist dies after RTA

I drove over Mancunian Way about half an hour after this happened. RIP.

mrchrispy

FFS

RIP dear rider, thoughts are with your family 🙁

standard of driving in and around Manchester is shocking, after doing a week in Spain and seeing how they treat you over there (on even the crappest roads) you really understand how little respect we get here.

So sad.

crazy-legs

Saw this on Twitter earlier following a spate of comments from some daft bitch who’d posted a tweet saying about how she had an argument with a cyclist so knocked him off then drove away. Very similar to the Emma Way story a few months ago.

Obviously that prompted the usual wave of outrage and detective work on Twitter and the woman swiftly protected her account and deleted her numerous tweets (although not before it had been screenshotted and tweeted to the police).

A friend then posted a link to this story saying “Oi [twitter name], here’s why you’ve had such abuse today, it’s life & death.”

That junction under Mancunican Way is horrendous. RIP. 🙁

project
    Free Member

RIP dear cyclist ,condolances to her freinds and partner.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

yeah, that slip road leads up to the roundabout on chester road that my commute takes me over twice a day, and it’s honestly terrifying at times. i don’t think a single day has gone by in the year i’ve been riding it that at least 1 car hasn’t sped up and gone through a red, and there’s a lot of cyclists passing through there daily too. i can see this not being the last one around that part of the city.

just along the road in whalley range, on friday an arriva bus overtook me and was close enough that i could touch the side of it with my elbow, so i gave it a smack and then when he stopped further along at lights i calmly informed him i’d be reporting him. he yelled at me “before you start, i’m SORRY, i didn’t realise i was too close…”
    Err… you shouldn’t be driving a bus mate.

Harry_the_Spider

RIP

🙁

That junction is dicey even when you drive through it in a car.

unovolo
    Free Member

Sad news but do agree on the standard of driving around Manchester and surrounding areas.

Recently come back from cycling in France(Brittany) and Jersey and the attitude from motorists couldnt be more different,much more patient they will hold back and refrain from overtaking for several miniutes if needs be and generally give a wider berth when passing.

I drive all day,everyday and realise people are often in a rush but some of the stuff I see whilst driving is shocking,more often than not a few seconds difference is all it takes to make a safe manoeuvre rather than a life threatening one.

rhbrhb
    Free Member

Awful news. 🙁

xherbivorex
    Free Member

a few weeks back, a guy in an audi s4 with a private plate lost his rag on deansgate with me and another cyclist as i was in the left hand lane to turn left onto quay st and the other lad was in the right hand lane going straight on (following the road markings/lanes there correctly), and he followed me right to the door of my work blasting his horn the whole way. when i stopped, he drove over and informed me that all “we” do is get in his way every day, “we” are all the same and it’s just a matter of time before he just runs us all over and the police will thank him for making the streets safer to drive on…

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Threads not to read when you have a daughter who cycles about in Manchester . . . More reason for her to come back to the right side of the peaks

Terrible news 🙁

project
    Free Member

More on the sad death of Jaye Bloomfield,who was killed by a vehicle, at the mancunian way manchester.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/cyclist-dies-manchester-doing-something-5585724

Condolances to her partner,family and freinds, she died doing something she enjoyed.

bails

Jesus christ, look at the state of that car.

Horrific. RIP 🙁

allthepies
    Free Member

What’s the speed limit on that section of road ?

bails

What’s the speed limit on that section of road ?

http://goo.gl/maps/ItmSj
    30mph according to streetview

binners

I spotted this on the front page of todays MEN. Very, very sad indeed. Condolences to her friends and family. 🙁

All those junctions off the manc way are all pretty hairy. After being knocked off on Oxford Road/Portland Street junction one morning, I always take an indirect route on the quieter roads to avoid the bigger, more horrendous junctions like that one.

hora
    Free Member

The impact on the roof etc. **** that was an impact. RIP. I crossed over there once night last week on my bike- you literally have to use alot of judgment and be committed as the drivers there don’t lift off.

funkrodent

I cycle across that roundabout almost everyday and it is dangerous beyond belief.

RIP 🙁

bails

I think the first photo in the article is taken here: http://goo.gl/maps/f2rHj

So if streetview is up to date then yes, 30mph as you can just about see the back of the “New 30mph limit in force” sign.

freeagent
    Free Member

Yep, Impact on that roof must have been immense.

RIP – what a waste of life.

globalti
    Free Member

Aren’t car speedos designed to freeze at the speed at the time of the impact nowadays? I know nothing about car construction but I would agree that 30 mph shouldn’t cause that much damage.

singletrackmind

There are EU regs to specify body deformity in the event of a pedestrian collision . Some manufactures are going over to ABS plastic panels as they deform more easily. That is not a 30mph impact. I dont think speedos freeze in an airbag event , never heard of that .
    New Jag bonnet pops up on airbags to give greater deflection in the event of a pedestrian strike.
    RIP Jaye. Condolances to family and friends .

flashpaul
    Free Member

@xherb All Arriva buses have CCTV fitted with external cameras , report the incident and the driver might be investigated

rickmeister

Desperate news, condolences to all the family….

And as for the S4 driver in xherbivorex’s post, someone that tightly wound is a danger to everyone… pehaps even his family when he stops driving…

brakes
    Free Member

there was a guy killed this morning on my commute, about half an hour after I rode past. Very sobering.
    6th person this year in London.
    Archway Road “crash”

pingu66
    Free Member

Deepest sympathies to both.

project
    Free Member

http://icycleliverpool.co.uk/2013/05/21/cyclist-fatalities-2013/

since i posted this up last week, another 2 cyclists have died, the lady in Manchester,and now the chap in london, that we are aware of, and probably there are more.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Rider down- Manchester city centre’ is closed to new replies.