Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • Rider down, (in a serious condition) Grizedale forest,
  • chopchop
    Free Member

Thanks for updating the thread, project. To clarify, is the paralysis permanent?

Best wishes to Mark for the tough times ahead, great to hear that he is remaining positive.

philfive
    Free Member

Jesus, healing vibes for him

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

Healing vibes indeed. Awful to hear of the paralysis, really hope it isn’t permanent.

Air ambulances = invaluable.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Jesus, healing vibes for him

+1
    That is very sad news

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Jeez, May i add my best wishes to Mark and his family and friends for the times ahead.

Rather sobering considering how fast i went down Hully Gully the other week.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Chopchop, the recovery of a spinal chord injury can be rather hard to gauge at an such an early time. Unless it’s completely severed it may be a while longer before doctors can estimate how much function if any may return.

I hope the chap does okay, think I’ll be wearing my back protector and a leatt for leery stuff from now on.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Fingers crossed for a positive recovery. You don’t have to be riding ‘banzai’ to have a bad accident, sometimes you just land awkwardly from the slowest of tumbles. Friend broke his back on his road bike in a low speed off. Fortunately he made a full recovery

Rockape
    Free Member

Thanks project for passing on Gregs email update. Hope Mark paralysis isn’t permanent and he makes a healthy recover. Thought and wishes to his family

widge34
    Free Member

Hope he makes a full recovery. I had a big off while out riding this evening. Basically bounced my body over a large drop, luckily got away with cuts and bruises. Certainly brings home how dangerous mountain biking can be.

MrsToast
    Free Member

All the best to him, hope he makes a full recovery.

higgi
    Free Member

sad news indeed . mark i hope you make a full recovery . stay positive . positive mind can do wonderful things . good luck mate

billysugger
    Free Member

That’s sad news.

All the best in your battle Mark. It will take a strength you and your family never knew you had to get the better of this and I really wish you all the best. I hope you have a real strong, positive network of friends and family.

Stay strong all involved.

There are some amazingly inspirational stories out there if you stumble on your path back.

Healing vibes Mark.

badadvert
    Free Member

Sad news if its permament, hope he recovers and keeps the positive attitudes. i can agree it doesnt have to be gnarly to be dangerous, as im currently sat in a hospital ward with both tib and fib snapped after a slow off on a fairly flat section a few days back.

be careful people…

pingu66
    Free Member

Mark

Positive vibes if anyone can pull through I am sure you can, you must be a fighter and what was said above about being mega positive is all we nee to know. Chin up dude.

Everyone here is hoping for your full recovery mate.

Best wishes to you and your family at this time.

Pete

bettytheblog
    Free Member

Hi All,

Your comments, good wishes and kind thoughts are an inspiration. Thank you so much.

This is the address of the family blog.

http://theremarkableswift.blogspot.co.uk/

Please feel free to post your messages. All the support and encouragement Mark can get the better.

Betty the Blog

tpbiker
    Free Member

I read his dictated message…his attitude is awesome…

don’t sell the bike yet bud….hopefully you’ll need it sooner than you think 🙂

goodluck!

bettytheblog
    Free Member

Thank you guys so much for taking the time to view the family blog and show such concern in Mark’s (Rider Down) progress.

Thanks for all the comments – hope you don’t mind I have poached the last one and posted to the family blog.

There is something about this sport that attracts special people. And its such a comfort to read your messages. So here’s one from me echoed by Mark…. enjoy what you do guys but take great care of yourselves and each other.

Betty the Blog

schnor
    Free Member

Hi Betty,

Glad to hear Mark is doing so well. The blog is great reading, and it must be a huge comfort for him to know so many people are wishing him the best.

I wish him well, and hope he can soon enjoy the sunshine and fresh air 🙂

Dave

bettytheblog
    Free Member

Hi All,

Great progress.
    Mark managed to get into a chair today. He’s doing so well.

For latest news visit http://theremarkableswift.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks once again for all your kind messages and words of encouragement.
    It means a lot.
    Betty the Blog

deluded
    Free Member

Good on him. We didn’t need to know about the catheter though – that made me wince 😛

bettytheblog
    Free Member

Yea,me too…and I’m female! 😀
    As Mark said “too much information”

project
    Free Member

A big thankyou to Betty for the blog, and a big cheer for Mark, and all the staff, youre all so positive.

Not at all bothered about the catheter,its a general medical procedure,and just part of your treatment. :-), at least you get to do it yourself.

BrickMan

Hope the fella makes a full and speedy recovery!

Was out last year on road bike (spawn of satan) on one of those Evans bike shop sportives things around south lakes. A young lad came off descending east on Wrynose/Hardknott and was lucky not to get hit by a car (race rep mentioned that happened the previous year, with rider ending up INSIDE the car on passenger seat with windscreen wrapped around their neck) and had to be picked up by air ambulance with suspected spinal injuries.
    I was quite worried by how long it took the Evans event rep’s to get a grip of the situation and report some decent info around the place, almost might as well have not been there.
    But big thumbs up to the air ambulance crew, they landed it in a tricky place, instantly took a complete control of the situation and just got on with it, and did a little spiral above us on way back off to show the lad a view of the craggs I think! Top!

Why these air ambulances do not receive a proper and fair gov backed budget I do not know, they are saints! But in the mean time, pitch in, you’ll never know when they might be coming out to you!

bettytheblog
    Free Member

Great News…..it’s only a crossword but what a result

BettytheBlog

bettytheblog
    Free Member

Update…..
    After a week in Southport Spinal Unitl – Mark is coming to terms and getting grips with his new wheels.
    Betty the Blog.

“One of tomorrows physio sessions is on wheelchair skills, I’m hoping to have a new set of wheels by then as my current chariot is something of a classic fossilised heap of crap! And just making it to the session will be skill enough! Trying to go in a straight line is nigh on impossible, unchecked it veers off to the left and would see me in the wall every fifth push!

Full update visist:-

teamslug
    Free Member

Just read the blog. Not sure what to type if i’m honest….inspiring to read your positivity. Hope it all goes well for you over the coming months.

postierich
    Free Member

Puts my little problems into perspective! inspiring , well done Mark and Betty!

racefaceec90

just read this thread.i hope you get well soon mark.

project
    Free Member

So glad i started this thread, because without it few of us would know about Mark, and the massive effort he is making to get better, and the huge commitment and enthusiasm he has along with being so postitive, funny and grateful to all around him.

I wish you your family and girlfreind the very best wishes.

wwaswas

nothing really to add beyond an admiration for your approach to all this and, if I’m really honest, a slight feeling that it could easily have been me a few times and I hope I’d have coped as well as your blog seems to show you are.

Chapeau.

philfive
    Free Member

Where and how did mark hurt himself, very sobering to think you leave for a social ride and cone home in a wheelchair.

project
    Free Member

From my first post on page one

26 May 2012
    .Mountain biker critical after Grizedale Forest fall The man had to be stabilised before he could be moved
    A 31-year-old man is in a critical condition after coming off his mountain bike in Cumbria.

The cyclist, from Cheshire, suffered serious head, neck and back injuries during the fall in Grizedale Forest.

He was taken by air ambulance for treatment at James Cook Hospital in Middlesbrough where he is “critically ill”.

A spokesman for the Great North Air Ambulance Service said the man had to be stabilised before he could be moved.

philfive
    Free Member

What I meant was where in the forest.

bettytheblog
    Free Member

As far as I know, it was on the North Track and only seconds before the end of the ride. Betty.

bettytheblog
    Free Member

Good News…. Mark gets the chance to see the Paralympics in London next week – He also as a provision release date – aiming for 12th Dec.
    Thanks for all your kind messages, they are such a help.

Betty the Blog.

philfive
    Free Member

Release from hospital on dec 12th? Wow that’s a lot of time in hospital, hope he is making a good recovery.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Somehow I’ve missed this thread until now. What an amazing mentality and positivity he has. Not read full blog yet, just skimmed but nonetheless in total awe. Hope he enjoys the games, a much deserved treat. Will read the blog on my next wet day at the office.

Unk.

bettytheblog
    Free Member

Hi all,

Here’s the latest progress report….. simply astounding.
    Mark is doing ReMarkably well, even getting in and out cars on his own.

Friends are organising a cycle challenge next year.
    Lands End To John O’Groats…. view Tab at the top of Mark’s Blog.

Betty the Blog

bettytheblog
    Free Member
    bettytheblog
    Free Member

RIDER COMING HOME
    Mark’s discharge date set for 12th December.

What a Christmas present for the family.
    Betty the Blog

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Rider down, (in a serious condition) Grizedale forest,’ is closed to new replies.