Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Rider down Darwen Moor / Tockholes
  • simmy
    Free Member

Just seen on Twitter

http://ow.ly/i/2nczr

I’m trying to work out where the picture of the incident is.

Hope everything’s not too bad.

Nezbo
    Free Member

It’s just at the top of the switchback from Owd Aggies.

Esme
    Free Member

Is that at the bottom of the sanitised “zig-zags” (just by the big blue 67 on the OS map)? Looking across the A675 to Roddlesworth Woods?

Nezbo
    Free Member

Hope the guy is ok?

I’m not to sure if this will work trying it from my iPad. here’s a video I did over winter (not fast and taking my time for various reasons)

https://picasaweb.google.com/117514379842968405460/RandomBikeCameraVids?authkey=Gv1sRgCIi16d7mgJ-D1gE#5874112649376185842

Esme
    Free Member

Nezbo, that descent is called Stepback Clough, I think. The photo seems to be further south, looking directly at Great Hill.

Bolton MRT tweeted a dislocated shoulder, so hopefully he’ll be riding again before the summer is finished.

mickolas
    Free Member

that was me! turned out to be a clavicle fractured in two places. anyone recommend a skills course (to start in a couple of months!)?

didn’t know the descent had aname but it’s the path that leads by lyons den.

EDIT – BTW, everyone on the scene (air ambulance, mountain rescue and my mate Ian Webber [owner of the blue Giant]) and at Queens Park hospital was fantastic. Much love to the flying doctors and thanks for the lift!

Bolt

Fast as loose on that bit!

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Bolt

mickolas
    Free Member

thanks bolt. think I’ll try it a bit slower next time though. :$

Esme
    Free Member

Mickolas, you might be the perfect candidate for Ed Oxley’s Stop Crashing course 😉

Esme
    Free Member

I’m getting a bit confused about names . . .

The descent following the stream, passing Owd Aggies Cottage, is called Stepback Clough (connected to Cromwell, allegedly). It gets quite badly eroded, and slips into the stream. There are a couple of gates through the woods, and it emerges very close to Vaughn’s Country Cafe.

Mickolas came down the smoother faster zig-zag descent, on open hillside. It emerges by a sign to Lyon’s Den, almost opposite a little car park. Does this route have a name? I usually call it The Zig-Zags, but might now change this to “Where Mickolas Fell Off” 😉

mickolas
    Free Member

that looks perfect. now, anyone seen any good offers on new collarbones? ideally compatible with 650b so I can future-proof.

PTR
    Free Member

Esme has it, it is the freshly resurfaced track that joins the Tockholes road just accross from the Slipper Low car park

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Esme/PTR are correct as to location of that pic.
    I didn’t know that it had been resurfaced though.

Hope Mickolas mends soon.

mickolas
    Free Member

(mutters sulkily) sure it was easier before. seriously though, take it easy on your first run down everyone.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

ah, there’s the problem ^^^ right there.
    That trail is a climb, no good as a descent 😉

footstomper
    Free Member

The path is Coming down from Cartridge Hill towards Roddlesworth Woods. It is another of the local paths which have been made extremely hazardess because of the loose topping being put down ready for the opening of the new bridleways 🙁 It will all end up in large piles of stones when it rains heavy.

PTR
    Free Member

New bridleways? Where be they?

mickolas
    Free Member

does it include the section that is closed for work, that comes out on bull hill nr the ocean palace chinese restaurant?

footstomper
    Free Member

New bridleways? Where be they?

They have done the path from great hill around midway & also the path which takes you down to the Murder House (yes named because hubby killed wifey or vice versa I think) 😕 it drops you onto the road between Abbey Village & Brinscal.

does it include the section that is closed for work, that comes out on bull hill nr the ocean palace chinese restaurant?

Yes thats correct not open yet but had a quick go down the other week nice and flowing but a very tricky corner will catch you out if you take it too fast 🙁

There are a number of paths around Darwen / Bolton / Chorley & beyond which are earmarked for making into Bridleways. I am sure there is a plan of all the proposed route just not sure where to look to veiw it!!!

Esme
    Free Member
    mickolas
    Free Member

just seen this

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/what-slicks-for-chapplegate

did I otb by failing a drainage ditch?

(kinda like speed bumps in the track)

hallz
    Free Member

I was aware of the development up the zig zags and also on the other side at Bull Hill. I had (wrongly!) assumed that they were developing a trail accross the moor to directly link the points but it looks as though it will be far more indirect and going via the tower.

There is quite a bit of more interesting, relevant information here

Pennine Bridleway – Bolton Link

The information in the West Pennine Morrs Development Plan is a bit dated now.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Rider down Darwen Moor / Tockholes’ is closed to new replies.