Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Rider charity
  • bobbyatwork
    Free Member

After the Woburn man down thread got me thinking about a rider charity…is they’re one? I’ve not heard of one…I’d like to set one up maybe….

If everyone agreed to chip in a couple of quid every year and it was put into a pot for any rider who was badly injured/incapacitated…just thinking out loud but what does the hive reckon?

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

Bump for morning peeps

allthepies
    Free Member

Perhaps donations to the Air Ambulance would be a better option ?

unklehomered
    Free Member

I’ve loosely had thoughts around the same thing. First off running an actually charity is a lot of work, and to get charity status involves a fair bit of hoop jumping. The plus side would be gift aid on donations. There are a lot of people on this place, and yes they do while away their working days bickering they also have a lot of compassion that comes out when bad things happen.

How about a just giving fundraising drive at the end and beginning of each season, (autumn and spring equinox) for a different air ambulance each time. That way low admin, gift aid, and nothing to stop it being developed into something more if its really successful.

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

Yep that could work…I have no experience of charity so it’s all helpful….Who donate a couple of quid? Say yes here

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Perhaps donations to the Air Ambulance would be a better option ?

plus 1

unklehomered
    Free Member

I’ll throw a fiver in.

Anyone know of a comprehensive list UK air ambulances?

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

air ambulance and mountain rescue

redthunder
    Free Member

+11

Although air ambulance/mountain is good option.

I think the original OP is talking about benevolent fund for all off road riders in general.

We all don’t ride the Alps behind the NatWest at Swindon.

Muke
    Free Member

I remember taking part in a Russ Pinder fundraiser after his accident in 2003.

smell_it
    Free Member

Donate to air ambulance or mountain rescue etc.

Fund raisers for individuals is one thing; but you whilst you can set up a charity for any worthy cause, setting up one that people think credible enough to give money to is the tricky bit. You need a criteria of who you want to pay out to. What do you want your payouts to fund, statutory/ 3rd sector provision will be different across the country. Will you means test applicants?

I’m sure it’s achievable, but not easy.

Edit – if this sounds a bit negative, it’s not ment to, i’ve just finished a night shift. But you need to decide if you just want a glorified whip round which whilst admirable, will flounder, or something bigger.

druidh
    Free Member

What you are describing is Personal Accident Insurance. Lots of companies already provide that. A few folk chucking in a couple of quid a year is going to go nowhere.

If you want to help, then I’d go with donations to Mountain Rescue and/or Air Ambulance.

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

i spose i kinda thought a help for heroes type thing but for riders who maybe dont have insurance but have dependents/responsibilities but your right it would be difficult to decide who got what..

may be easier just collecting for the rescue services….i was very impressed recently seeing a rider getting lifted by the chopper…

smell_it
    Free Member

And you just have to look at the flak hfh’s has had recently for investing in large capital projects for the MOD rather than direct assistance to those that served whether still in the service or not. There are a few small charities that used to provide this support who have struggled with fund raising since hfh’s hit the pitch. I’m not criticising anyone, just highlighting how tricky these things can be.

pingu66
    Free Member

I thought about doing this when I started seeing the accidents on this forum. Reading this now I tend to agree with the majority.

Its hard work and how do you means test it etc.

Equally giving to air ambulance etc would be great. I also do a little bit of charity work and have a few plans for Help for Heroes fund raising events in the future.

What do we want to give an to who.

If we look at how many people are in this forum could we raise significant funds say for Air Ambulance with a monthly donation of just a few pounds each?

Do we want to have specific collections for those serious accidents. Do we want to do both.

Also should we actively promote personal accident insurance maybe via membership of one of the cycling organisations?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Rider charity’ is closed to new replies.