• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by eskay.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Rideable Welsh mountains.
  • slugrider
    Free Member

I did snowdon and Cadair Idris earlier this year and I’m trying to find some other peaks I can ride up.

I really enjoyed riding to the summit but I’m struggling to find routes for anything else?

Can anybody help?

Cheers.

taxi25
    Free Member

Whenever I fancy riding a “mountain” this is just down the road from me. Rideable to the summit as well.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garth_Hill

whitestone
    Free Member

Something in the Brecon Beacons maybe.

slugrider
    Free Member

I’ve got a route to do “the Gap” so that should yield result.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Garth is lovely, I can see it from my office window.

I’ve never done it (although I should) it should be fairly straight forward to ride up and down Garth, across Taffs Well to Tongwynlais up the infamous Castle Coch, Forest Fawr woods to the top of Caerphilly Mountain (there’s a cafe at the top) and you’ve got the choice of routes from the top.

jekkyl

Was Cadair Idris totally rideable? (apart from that rocky bit at the summit)

slugrider
    Free Member

Yes, completely rideable with the exception of ghetto last mile or so going up and the first 100m coming down.

I actually preferred it to snowdon, much more if an out there feel.I thought tougher too but in fairness I got up a two that morning to ride up snowdon then rode Cadair idris.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

Drum mountain from Conway towards sychnant pass is a good ride, there was a post about it earlier this year I think

carlos
    Free Member

jekkyl – Member
    Was Cadair Idris totally rideable? (apart from that rocky bit at the summit)

I’ve ridden it a couple of times and would say NO.

From Mary Jones Chapel all the way to the wide track at the bottom (Hafotty Gwastadfryn) and then going left is ride-able all the way to where it re-joins the BW. Then its just a draggy grass climb to the Pony Path.

From Hafotty Gwastadfryn up the grass BW to the gate is again doable (in the dry that is) but IMO tougher as the start is steeper, but it is shorter the the BW gate Then its just a draggy grass climb to the Pony Path.

The Pony Path to the summit is going to be Hike a Bike for all but the strongest of riders or E’bikers. I consider myself a pretty decent climber and riding all of it is beyond me. There are bits you can get on for a bit of a pedal but you’ll be off again soon enough, until you’ve gone right over the boulder field. Then it’s ride-able to the bottom of the rocky bit near the summit

Great ride as long as you get good weather. Been and done it twice and turned back as it closed in a bit to much for comfort

Carlos

Rorschach
    Free Member

taxi25
    Free Member

I’ve never done it (although I should) it should be fairly straight forward to ride up and down Garth, across Taffs Well to Tongwynlais up the infamous Castle Coch, Forest Fawr woods to the top of Caerphilly Mountain (there’s a cafe at the top) and you’ve got the choice of routes from the top.

I’ve got a great route that includes all of that and more in a big loop. I’ll pick a day and see if there’s any interest on here to do it.

danradyr1
    Free Member

Taxi, I’ll be up for that. I often ride that route with the last section off the Garth through the old quarry being quite steep and scary.

molgrips
    Free Member

Garth isn’t a mountain in anyone’s book.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Moel Famau has plenty of cheeky trails. Ride from Cilcain and link up some routes around the Clwydian range. Flat tyres website has some routes to download
    Linky http://flattyres-mtb.co.uk/route-guides/north-wales-mtb-routes/the-moel-famau-circuit/

olly2097
    Free Member

You can ride over the berwyns on bridleways.

taxi25
    Free Member

Garth isn’t a mountain in anyone’s book.

You obviously haven’t seen the film MG.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Drum is good if you tie it into a loop like Romans and Druids .a great morning out

eskay

Bookmarked

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Rideable Welsh mountains.’ is closed to new replies.