Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Ride with GPS app
  • jonno101
    Free Member

I have been using their web site for ages, as IMO best site for drawing maps to export to GPX. Im a roadie BYW.
    I have just downloaded their app to phone and upgraded to paying account so you can use their TBT navigation. Had a v. quick test around home just to see what its like. Not too bad doesnt have 3D flyover view but tells you turns and beeps if you go off course.
    I normally use Motion X GPS, which is fine but not TBT navigation, you have to study map as riding.
    Anyone had experience with this app and rate it, or are there others that are more Garmin like and i can import my own drawn GPX files.

jonno101
    Free Member

anyone?

GrahamS

Not used that one myself. I tend to use a couple of apps:

Viewranger for route planning – mainly because it lets me draw routes on the iPad app then load them onto the iPhone without messing about with GPX files or PCs. It is waypoint-based rather than turn-by-turn so more use for long routes. Handy feature is the ability to alert you when you stray off-route.

I also use CycleStreets + BikeHub for turn-by-turn directions and route planning on urban roads/paths. The BikeHub app can load routes you’ve planned on CycleStreets (either on the web page or app) and can shout out directions for you which is handy.

Lastly I use Endomondo for recording rides.

All of these are free. (You can buy OS maps or map tiles for ViewRanger, or stick with the free OpenCycleMap ones which are usually good enough).

mikejd

I use Oruxmaps. You can upload gpx files which you can follow and alerts if you go off route. It will track your route and save. Background maps I produce using Mobac and Opencyclemap.

jonno101
    Free Member

Thanks Mike & Graham, will have a look

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Ride with GPS app’ is closed to new replies.