Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Ride what you've got…………..
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

When you’ve got commitments such as kids, then time is limited to get riding. More than one bike, or even more than one of the same type, means you can always have one ready to go should you gt the opportunity.

My other half usually says “you can go riding tomorrow, I’ll take the kids”…..cue ice/ snow/ torrecntial rain/ other random inclement weather…. 😉

How old really are you “old”git??? 😉

vondally
    Free Member

Great write up Oldgit, but in the main you could have done that on one bike??? Okay accept that it maybe road or cyclocross but I have ridden over Tourmalet and the cols on mtb’s and survived……………..I see my friends partners point of view we do get absorbed with I need dthis for this or that………..w

Del

? not and be competitive he couldn’t!

road riding on an mtb? i can’t think of many things more miserable!

just because you ‘can’ doesn’t make it desirable, enjoyable, or advisable.

vondally
    Free Member

turn that around for arguments sake 😀

? not and be competitive he couldn’t!

different type of competion, no less worthy….Fat bike at Cyclocross ?? Internal competition and challenge

or define competitive???

due to injuries to my neck and spine I can think of anything more miserable to ride than road bike……..perspective and need…..

just because you ‘can’ doesn’t make it desirable, enjoyable, or advisable.

perspective and definition………riding to top of port de bales after superbargneres to perysoude on mtbs was wonderful…tired wasted, non competitive inadvisable but enjoyable.

I see the blokes perspective not saying I agree with it but totally agree with Tons comments

oldgit
    Free Member

I do actually stick in lots of road miles on my 29er complete with knoblies, sportives reliability trials and solo training rides. Tis alright.
    Where as I can’t stand using my crosser on the road.

Great write up Oldgit,

I keep a simple CSE English blog going – Pick it up and run.

vondally
    Free Member

Oldgit just for personal intrest and knowledge here re 29er and road miles

HT ?
    Tyres?
    Sportives distance and times?

cheers

oldgit
    Free Member

HT yes, Gary Fisher (no idea what it is) locked out Rebas.
    Tyres, Bontrager Expert? the stock tyres. Typical American hardpack tyres.
    60/67 miles. About 3.20/3.25 for a 100km, just minutes behind my club mates on road bikes.
    Surprisingly fast on the road, until you hit headwinds, you simply can’t get aero. Climbs are a bit slower, but need less effort so you summit and press on.

jameso

Depends .. : )

RoganJosh
    Free Member

I do ride what I’ve got, all 6 of them, and when I get my next one ill ride that too,

Next.

jameso

^ fair enough ) Agreed too. I have 3 bikes I use regularly (a road, MTB and shops/pub bike) and 2 kept for less frequent trips and rides. Wouldn’t be without any of them. I could do it all with one or two of them and be happy, but since there’s no need to reduce the collection, why not enjoy them.

vondally
    Free Member

Cheers Oldgit

Jameso great pic

vondally
    Free Member

Jameso apologies but your pic lead to your flckr account great pictures and trips….winner of one bike use it ride it is yours or the fellow blue tracksuit/boiler suit? loose bags on the way to Santiago???

downshep

There is an element of ‘horses for courses’ in all this. A modern full suss mtb could be used as an only bike for every type of cycling, from touring to track, but obviously wouldn’t perform as well as specific bikes designed for their own niche. The responsiveness of a light hardtail or road bike, the practicality of a cargo bike, or the stress free ownership of an old singlespeed pub bike, all make n+1 quite understandable.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think it’s just the fact we live in the western world, and ver here nothing gives us more pleasure than buying things we don’t need.

mattjg
    Free Member

^^ speak for yourself

jameso

Vondally I think that chap got more use from his one bike than I do from one of mine.. prob a lot older tho!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

One road bike, (actually it’s more of a cross bike) , I used to have 2
    One mountain bike. I used to have 2

I couldn’t have less than 2. Each for different types of riding.

vondally
    Free Member

Jameso LOL, a veritable [/i]

ride what you’ve got

[i] picture.

giantx4
    Free Member

Folks that have too much money for bikes get kicks from choosing new bikes & deciding which one to ride on any given ride…
    Us folks who can only afford 1 bike get kicks from upgrading our pride & joy & riding it as well/fast as we can…

Am i right?

TiRed

One mtb – HT with SS or hub gear. Goes everywhere my skills can take it (some Black routes).
    One commuter Fixed wheel, rack, guards, lights and always ready for action.
    One race bike also serves for winter training
    One nice bike
    One shopper for heading into the badlands of bike crime that is Windsor.

To be honest the nice bike is an indulgance, but it does get raced in the summer. For Cat4 racing almost anything goes to be honest. I bought used and cheap alloy. I did see someone with mudguards once. And placing with an old steel bike is a lot cooler than being dropped on a Venge.

edhornby

Depends doesn’t it; I have 3 bikes that are for different tassks , one mountain bike, one summer road bike and a fixed gear for commuting, I struggle with the need for multiple hardtails for example…

nevermind
    Free Member

I’ve got it into my head that I want to do the etape penines 2014 which would be my first cycling event,

I don’t fancy training for or doing it on my ht as I was absolutely cream crackered after 20 mile the other week, part road part off road.

So i’ll be buying my first road bike in the new year & hopefully putting the miles in without incident or injury.

two bikes it has to be coz I don’t wanna part with my ht, we’ve been thru a lot together 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Ride what you've got…………..’ is closed to new replies.