Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Ride suggestions for North Staffordshire?
  • colin9

I’m up to North Staffordshire for a week next month and will take a bike along. I could go for a road ride as road routes are easily planned, but I’d rather take a mountain bike and get up around the bottom of the Peak District.

Does anybody have any good route suggestions for a half day or so ride? I don’t know the place but the map suggests there are not many bridleways, so I’d like to increase my chances of finding some good trails!

jekkyl

where will you be staying? I live in Stoke and get out usually about twice a week, general bridleway bashing and some tech, you’re welcome to join me. I usally ride in the evenings 8-10ish. I can probably also suggest lots of rides based on your needs as well as gpx from my strava.
    If bottom of the peak is what you’re after then Macc Forest would suit likely, plenty to go at round there.
    Also you do realise you’ll probably be less than an hours driving from Cannock?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    colin9

Ah thanks guys. I’ll have a proper look in a bit.

I’ve been round Cannock a couple of times, it’s good riding but I’d rather get out somewhere natural.

Jekkyl I’ll be in Cheadle east of Stoke, do you have any worthwhile routes out that way? I’d quite like to get up around the Roaches, do you know if there is a good loop up there or is it just the obvious ridge along the top? And how bike friendly is it?

I might take you up on the evening ride offer, general bridleway and some tech sounds good, I’ll pack some lights. It’s the last week of September.

bigmick25
    Free Member

If your staying in Cheadle there is some good riding around Dimmingsdale woods and Alton. Best to have a look on your GPS site of choice for routes.

jekkyl

there certainly is some good routes near Cheadle, around a country park Called dimmingsdale, near a village called Oakamoor, is probably less than 10 minutes driving from Cheadle, you could probably just cycle there for a warm up along the road. There are others on this forum with a greater knowledge than me so they might chip in with a gpx, but I could probably put together a couple of hours out that way and join you one evening.

I’ve no experience of the roaches but I’ve seen some videos where it looks decent enough, if a little short if just staying in that area, all cheeky but who cares…. Looks fairly simple to just follow the fp along the ridge and maybe down to Tittesworth.
    Another area to explore not far away is Hollinsclough and the legendary tech rock filled descents there. Supposedly the hardest in Staffordshire! again I’ve been itching to get up that way for ages.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

Loads of trails in Dimmingsdale/Stoneydale/Hawksmoor if you want to stay local. Just park at the Ramblers retreat and have an explore, there is some very techy descents in there. Watch out for gap jumps and drops. You’ll only do a couple of miles and still be knackered!

If you want to explore the Peak I’d head up to Ladybower and do one of the classic loops round there. For example: http://www.mbr.co.uk/routes/northern-england/peak_district/gps-route-best-of-ladybower-peak-district-315150

Watch out for Roaches, it is mainly cheeky and policed by militant ramblers.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Ride suggestions for North Staffordshire?’ is closed to new replies.