Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Ride Recovery
  • funkhouser
    Free Member

rode about 40 miles on Tuesday in the Peaks, my legs are still knackered today. do people use any magic potions or exercises to aid recovery? or do i just need to get fitter?

im mid thirties, can handle a 15 mile local spin without touching the sides, its just the days out that do me in. rode Glentress and Inners Sat & Sun a few weeks back, didnt feel it till monday but it was Thursday before i felt afit enough to do something else, gym or whatever.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Buy a road bike.

funkhouser
    Free Member

nah

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Borrow one.?

DT78
    Free Member

You aren’t fit enough. Buy a road bike. Help?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

The roadie was the single biggest upgrade to my mountain bike(ing) ever. Now the winter months are looming maybe go to a few spin classes.? You might no like it but it will improve your fitness ten fold.

funkhouser
    Free Member

i do the odd spin class, once a week on average but in reality more like 3 times one week, 4 the next but then nothing for three! and tbh i have a road bike, i ride to work on it which isnt far at all, but i cannot muster the enthusiasm to ride it as a leisure pursuit. boring hell. im happy riding mtb in winter.

funkhouser
    Free Member

i thought there must be some kind of disgusting raw egg, sugar, worcester sauce, breast milk, tears of a virgin, blood of an eagle type concoction to neck after a ride that would help?

njee20
    Free Member

EPO

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Gym is recover rest days

martinhutch

Foam roller for the win contorted facial expressions.

eskay

My eldest played football for Southampton academy a few years ago and they were told by the sports nutritionists there to have a milkshake immediately after training. They both still have one after a long ride/race now.

Nesquik milkshakes are meant to be good because they contain magnesium (apparently).

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Should eat drink as soon as you come on from ride as body absorbs energy quicker to aid recovery in the 30 to 40 mins after exercise. You may be suffering from ‘weekend warrior syndrome’ only rides/fitness once a week. Regular exercise, more miles on road. Plus one for road during winter I try to get 200km a week in depending on weather. You’d be surprised at the change in fitness level. Gym, road swim, spin for interval training. There are no magic potions

It’s milk that has magnesium and it’s a great post ride drink. Remember protein not carbs repairs the body so plenty of white meat etc helps repair your muscles

funkhouser
    Free Member

i have been trying to swim more. i also play competetive squash in the week which is pretty high intensity. 1xRide/1xSquash/1xSpin + gym & swim isnt bad is it? but i will try and step it up and be more consistant. will endeavour to have a good few productive healthy months now before i demolish it at xmas.

will definitely also try milkshake, bloody love Nesquick!

slowoldman

Beer and crisps for me.

TiRed

You need endurance training. Those spin classes are why 15 miles is easy. Buy a road bike. Ride 100km rides regularly. Laugh at how easy mountain biking is in comparison. Says this 47yo who is recovering from riding yesterday’s Tour of Britain stage (at 28km/hr)

smartboy
    Free Member

Why has nobody suggested full carbon, XTR groupset etc etc?

Clearly you should spend more money on bikes and kit and you will instantly be able to go faster for longer and still feel awesome the next day for another ride!

edhornby

don’t bother with the nesquick, just skimmed milk

lots of white meat protein with your evening meal

also get you head down early, sleep is a great healer

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Ride Recovery’ is closed to new replies.