Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Ride on Kayaks
  • IamSam
    Free Member

Afternoon all,

I am thinking of getting a tandem ride on for a family toy, two adults and a three year old. Has anybody got any good advice on what to look for?

Are there any horrors out there as the price seems to vary from 300-600 quid, not interested in the peddleable ones thats what bikes are for 😀

sam

gogg
    Free Member

Buy a real brand, not a made up chinese import (galaxy).

I bought a Tootega Pulse 120 from my local store, British made, Lifetime warranty. Paddles nicely even when the kids aren’t doing anything up on the front.

cb

rigid or inflatable? Decathlon have some good deals on inflatables.

sgn23
    Free Member

We’ve got the Perception Scooter Gemini. It’s easy to paddle and stable even 2up with a 5yo child in the middle. It keeps nice and straight when underway, but is still maneoverable. Can also be paddled solo. They cost about £500 new. Highly recommended!

russianbob
    Free Member

I have a solo Feelfree Nomad. Again, well made and recommended.

29erKeith
    Free Member

Buy a good brand used and you’ll not loose much money if any if it’s looked after.

I bought a used Ocean Kayak Cabo, which was great, 3 years of use, moving house and time meant I flogged it, bought it for £300, sold it for £350 8)

I’ll get another probably in a year or two once the little Man’s bigger and we’ve got some space back now building work has finished for the moment

scotroutes

I’m about to sell a Scooter Gemini…..

rewski
    Free Member

I’ve got the same as sgn23, can’t fault it, great with the kids, I also fish off mine.

IamSam
    Free Member

Scotroutes would be very interested to know what you’d like for it and where abouts you are based.

Was originaly looking at This but am a little reticent to go for it.

gogg
    Free Member

That link is the kayak equivalent of a chinarello

I’d avoid like the plague.

Spud

We’ve a Gemini (bought for wife’s 30th) and a Scooter, likely look for another Gemini now kids are 8 and 6 as they’re a bit big now for sitting on with us on either. They’re great fun and we wouldn’t be without them on summer hols by the sea. Just looking at new carriers for the recently acquired van ready for the summer. Several places do good deals, we bought the Gemini from Desperate Measures as we live in Nottingham and the Scooter from AS in Exeter when on hols as I wanted a single and couldn’t wait.

scotroutes

Gemini

I also have a Prowler 13

…and a roof rack for a LWB Trafic/Vivaro.

I guess I should really start a “For Sale thread 😉

Coleman
    Free Member

This thread has also prompted me to probably sell my virtually unused and as new late 2012 Ocean Kayak Malibu Two XL which just hangs up in the garage.

I too should start a For Sale post.

winston
    Free Member

The Malibu is better for 3 as it is bigger, more stable and has more useable storage

The Gemini is lighter (easier to get on the roof) and made in East Sussex!

You can’t go wrong with either and resale will be good on both too with the Malibu probably just edging it

rewski
    Free Member

The Gemini is lighter (easier to get on the roof) and made in East Sussex!

that’s right, got mine in newhaven here http://www.brighton-canoes.co.uk. Great selection, the guy even dropped it off on his way home. I recommend paying a bit extra and getting back supports and bungees for the paddles, easy to drop a paddle if you’re fishing or faffing about with kids. A wet suit too, can get cold if there’s a wind off the sea.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Ride on Kayaks’ is closed to new replies.