Viewing 29 posts - 81 through 109 (of 109 total)
  • Ride London start time? Anyone else got theirs?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i got up leith but im pretty sure it log jammed just after me, i had to shout at a few idiots to move out the way, that was one of my concerns that i’d be forced to push. at the risk of sounding like a ego fuelled d@ck, its not that hard a hill really and pretty easy to just spin up so quite disapointing that so many cant be assed and then make it impossible for those who want to ride it.

njee20
    Free Member

I think a lot Is just weight of people though, individually I’m sure virtually everyone could get up (at least until the last quarter or so), it’s not a tough climb really after all. Trouble is there’s no where for anyone to go, so it just bunches up.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I think a lot Is just weight of people though, individually I’m sure virtually everyone could get up (at least until the last quarter or so), it’s not a tough climb really after all. Trouble is there’s no where for anyone to go, so it just bunches up.

That’s the problem on most sportives – Tour of Flanders is the same. A few slow riders, faster riders catch up. Everyone bunches up – then it only needs one person to wobble and put a foot down and everything comes to a halt.

Apparently there were 3000 fewer riders on the 100 this year (27 down to 24) and they spaced them out more. All the accounts I’ve heard said a lot less congestion (and far fewer accidents, despite the overnight rain).

TimP
    Free Member

Only just saw this, Bullheart.

You got a very long way in the 4 mins before we started and we were not hanging about!!

julzm
    Free Member

@bullheart were you the guy at the 75 mile hub mechanics area who had on one trainer and one bike shoe asking the mechanic if he had any spare cleats?

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

First time I’ve done a sportif and first century that wasn’t on a touring bike with pie stops – 5:18 and chuffed to bits with that seeing as that gives me an average speed I’ve not seen for 20 yrs (or 10 kg’s) so definitely a fast course.
    Agreed on the hills, certainly felt very rideable, I think it took as long to go down Leith Hill as up due to a jam at the bottom of it.

Well done to all who completed it 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

@bullheart were you the guy at the 75 mile hub mechanics area who had on one trainer and one bike shoe asking the mechanic if he had any spare cleats?

Surprisingly we went through a lot of sets of cleats. Quite a few people saying they didn’t want to replace them the day before (why they didn’t replace them a month ago I don’t know), then found they broke on the day!

The descent from Leith Hill had the potential to be horrible if it had still been wet, so a log jam at the bottom may have been a saving grace!

akira

Leith hill descent much better than it used to be, they’ve filled in a lot of holes which were a bit treacherous with the sun blinking through the trees

mark d
    Free Member

I was a bit worried I might not make the cut off time as didn’t start until 08.34, but I made it even with cramp and a few stops from Dorking onwards.
    I have to say riding on closed roads was incredible.
    Especially with all the tremendous support from spectators, riding through Kingston was a massive highlight for me.
    Leith Hill was nowhere near as bad as made out, the worst one for me was the run up to Wimbledon Village.
    Supper chuffed to have completed it.

bullheart
    Free Member

Aye, that was me; although I still had both my bike shoes on. I’d lost a cleat and had to single leg it up Box hill, which was a pain in the arse!

Only just saw this, Bullheart.

You got a very long way in the 4 mins before we started and we were not hanging about!!

Yeah, that’ll be to do with a velocity/ mass/momentum equation…! Thank your folks on behalf of me for their kind donation Tim, I really appreciate it!

TimP
    Free Member

They asked if I was riding for charity, I said that it was just for fun but sent on your page,

https://www.totalgiving.co.uk/mypage/bullheartssummercentury

to allow them to sponsor an “unusual” human being and donate to a great charity

TimP
    Free Member

Oh look, the donations page is still open – would you look at that!!

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Saw a guy in Portsmouth Road, Kingston, running his bike down the road with no chain.

Respect.

julzm
    Free Member

@bullheart I was the woman next to you trying to get someone to sort my buckled fulcrum wheel but they didn’t have a campag nipple hex key so had to stick with the buckled wheel and loose front brake.

That mechanic was well impressed at you having a spare shoe to put on.

I’m no roadie, and yesterday did not convert me. The ride itself wasn’t hard and I couldn’t believe that people were walking up those ‘hills’. The only one that was any kind of challenge was Leith Hill and that was really due to the mass of people more than anything else. I absolutely loved those fast descents and the organisation and support around the course was excellent.

Well done to everyone that completed it.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Surprisingly we went through a lot of sets of cleats. Quite a few people saying they didn’t want to replace them the day before (why they didn’t replace them a month ago I don’t know), then found they broke on the day!

I walked further yesterday in cleats then in the last three months. Probably a mile in the olympic park; strange that they make you dismount – i expect for safety – before letting you ride 100 miles!

TiRed

Now have the men’s times and will run some stats for anyone that wants them (by club/age etc). I was 69th overall and 5th in the oldies (50-54). Still working on my XL web query skills for the ladies. The analysis part is trivial as I wrote it for past years! PM me if you want something specific for your club.

crosshair
    Free Member

Well done TiRed! A 7th overall on a Ride London segment is pretty cool too!! (I think I’m about 12500th from last year 😆 )

njee20
    Free Member

Great result, well done TiRed!

Just looked at the “celebrity” results, I’ve heard of 5 of them! Mark Hunter (I presume the rower rather than the politician) was rather quick @4:05.

TiRed

A 7th overall on a Ride London segment is pretty cool too!

Group rides don’t count in my view 😛 , they can could come down to a second either way by GPS errors. Times for Westerley Wendnesday strava segment show the same effects.

But I was pleased. Just needed someone to work with me for the 15 solo miles!

stuc
    Free Member

TiRed, if it’s no major bother any chance of looking at rider number 34412 on your stats, male 35 – 39.

Picked up the 7 hour route card at registration but got myself round in 5:21:46 I think it was.

Cheers,

Stu

atlaz
    Free Member

TiRed – do you have the full results spreadsheet?

TimP
    Free Member

I was wondering that too – sent a PM, but all I really want to see is how my time stacked up overall!

OmarLittle
    Free Member
    scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Anyone know when the start times come out this year? Or has anyone got theirs? Seems to be well overdue this year…

mrchrispy

End of June apparently, I’m expecting something around the weekend.

mrchrispy

Torn between wanting an early start to avoid the big units on expensive bikes and a late start to make it easier for the wife and kids to get to the finish (they are crap at getting up and out in the mornings!!)

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

I’m doing it for the first time this year. I’ll be coming down from the Midlands, but haven’t a clue about where to park or what will be accessible. Any advice gratefully received.

FB-ATB

If you’re coming from the Midlands I guess you’ll be staying locally overnight?

I had a 7:30start when I did it.  Working back from the time I had to be in the pen, riding from O2 car park, driving to O2 (picking a mate up enroute) getting breakfast etc I was up at about 4:30 to 5:00. This was travelling from mid Kent.

FB-ATB

When I did it in 2015 there were several designated parking areas you could pre-book. I can’t remember when this info came out- poss with start time letter?

How acquainted are you with London?  If you use their allotted car parks it’s signposted to the start. However when you finish you’re on your own. And you will now have traffic after 100 miles of car free driving. Luckily my mate & I had a rough idea of the route. We picked up about 10 riders who were lost making their way back to the O2

Viewing 29 posts - 81 through 109 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘Ride London start time? Anyone else got theirs?’ is closed to new replies.