Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 109 total)
  • Ride London start time? Anyone else got theirs?
  • scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Got 5.44 start time. Thought it didn’t start until 6? May as well not bother going to sleep!

Looking forward to it again. What times you all got?

thomthumb
    Free Member

where/ how? in the post?

EDIT: 7:04

covertbaz
    Free Member

Seems I got lucky then with 8.34, though if it’s as hot as it is now I’d have preferred an early start

TedC

Got mine.

Wave Load opening time: 06:36
    Wave Load closing time: 07:16
    Start Time: 07:56

30mins later than last year, can’t decide if that’s better or not.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

8.34 is only lucky if you like stop start cycling in massive crowds. Good luck though!

vinnyeh

8:12 here. Not too pleased.

oldracer
    Free Member

Not this year but I’ll be on the Torq stand doing my bit.

jet26
    Free Member

Wave opens 4.40am. Start 5.40am. Is that not the middle of the night?!

atlaz
    Free Member

4:40am… that’s pretty brutal. At that time I reckon there’s no real risk in terms of being deeper in a wave as most riders will be of a similar level so just roll in before the wave closes (IMO, YMMV, OMG, STFU, WTF etc)

TimP
    Free Member

I am a late team entry, and I know nothing!! Anyone else in a team? Any info on start times for them?

thomthumb
    Free Member

Anyone else got a charity place?

I’m raising money for Anthony Nolan in memory of 29erKeith.

I’ll be at the Anthony Nolan party afterwards, it’d be good to meet any fellow STWers.

smokey_jo

8:30 despite telling them we would need the full 8.5 hours to complete the ride.

Utter fucknuggets

penac

Start Time: 06:36

cycling to the start so up at 4, it will be like going on holiday.

atlaz
    Free Member

8:30 despite telling them we would need the full 8.5 hours to complete the ride.

Utter fucknuggets

Usually the quick people get sent out first and the people who need more time later. The broad idea is then the people aiming for 4-6 hours are long gone before the slower people arrive at the climbs. If they reversed it, you’d end up with almost everyone arriving at Leith Hill at the same time or, if they randomised it like at an event I did recently, you have the first 5-10km with loads of VERY dodgy overtaking before the order sorts itself out a bit.

smokey_jo

Utter fucknuggets

Usually the quick people get sent out first and the people who need more time later. The broad idea is then the people aiming for 4-6 hours are long gone before the slower people arrive at the climbs. If they reversed it, you’d end up with almost everyone arriving at Leith Hill at the same time or, if they randomised it like at an event I did recently, you have the first 5-10km with loads of VERY dodgy overtaking before the order sorts itself out a bit.

I understand this but why ask you how long you need and then ignore the information you give them?

Why not say from the ouset that you might only have 7 hours to complete?

If they had we wouldn’t have bothered entering. When entering they tell you that you have a limit of 8.5 hours to complete the 100 this is what we have trained towards and I doubt we can knock an 1.5 hours off our time for a 100 mile ride in the space of a month.

atlaz
    Free Member

I don’t think they commit to saying when you may or may not be able to start. They say that the event finishes by 4:30 or whatever and then ask you for your predicted time so they can decide where you start. If it looks like you may finish outside the time limit, they’ll first route you so you don’t do Leith Hill and if not sweep you up.

TBH, though, you’ll be surprised the effect closed roads have on your speed. I would imagine anyone who has trained can maintain 20kmph on this route, the climbing is relatively minimal and the roads are decent quality.

TimP
    Free Member

What!! Only 8.5hrs!!

Best get on my bike…

smokey_jo

8.5 hours is nearly 12 mph average spped and that’s without stops.

7 hours is over 14 mph without stops.

I don’t think the closed roads effect will be that good.

I’m told the queues at the feed stations are always appalling, and OK we will be self-sufficient for food and water but there will always be the need for a bog stop at some point so we are going to have to go quicker than that.

When entering you are told there is an 8.5 hour time limit, at no point do they tell you that you may have less time than this.

Not being able to complete the 100 miles makes the event totally pointless when you are raising money for charity.

We would have chosen a different event if a 7 hour time limit had been given when entering.

fifeandy
    Free Member

It may well be.
    Ride London is widely thought of to be one of the fastest courses going, and its not uncommon at all to hear people say they are an hour faster than other similar length sportives.

And at the risk of being blunt/rude, if you genuinely think you are going to take 8.5hrs on such a fast course, maybe doing some training would have been a good idea

jam-bo

I average between 13-15mph in fairly hilly Devon.

I averaged 20mph in the middle of a hurricane on the ride London bertha edition. It really is a fast course.

jam-bo

Or turn up early. Not sure the marshalls care that much.

atlaz
    Free Member

To give you an idea, only 2000 people took longer than 8.5 hours last year out of, what, 25000-30000 starters? It’s definitely a quick course, you’ll surprise yourself, if you’ve not done a fully-closed road event it’s hard to explain the impact that all the slowing-stopping-accelerating has on your time AND your energy levels. You can also find a bigger group and draft a bit which will pull you along at a surprising pace. Also, don’t underestimate the impact being in an organised event has; you’ll have loads of people cheering you on.

Oh, and if it’s just water you’ll need, don’t stop at the hubs, just stop at the drink stops.

atlaz
    Free Member

We would have chosen a different event if a 7 hour time limit had been given when entering.

Ironically if you’d said you’d do it in 5 hours you’d have probably been let off the leash at 6am. The downside being you’d have been swamped by the next 1-2 hours riders, some of whom are likely to be very quick but lacking in common sense when it comes to passing.

whoopiegoldbars
    Free Member

I am a late team entry, and I know nothing!! Anyone else in a team? Any info on start times for them?

Fairly late team entry here and we all received start details yesterday. Maybe get in touch with their help desk?

smokey_jo

I’m riding ther course with my wife. It will be her first 100 mile road ride. So far we have been training solidly for 8 weeks.

2 x 1 hour high intensity rides in the eveings after work and one longer ride at the weekend. We have been averaging 11 mph on the longer rides on routes that have been 40 – 45 miles with 2,500ft – 3,500ft of climbing in them. I genuinely don’t think Box Hill will unduly trouble her – we have done much harder in training, Leith Hill may involve a short stop halfway up but should be manageable.

Ironically if you’d said you’d do it in 5 hours you’d have probably been let off the leash at 6am. The downside being you’d have been swamped by the next 1-2 hours riders, some of whom are likely to be very quick but lacking in common sense when it comes to passing.

If we had known this we would have done – we’re better at staying out of the way than drafting.

jam bo – Member
    I average between 13-15mph in fairly hilly Devon.

I averaged 20mph in the middle of a hurricane on the ride London bertha edition. It really is a fast course.
    Unfortunately drafting isn’t one of her strong points

jam bo – Member

If this is genuinely the case then we will but we have been given a start area and a wave – won’t the marshalls know if you are in the wrong one?

atlaz
    Free Member

If this is genuinely the case then we will but we have been given a start area and a wave – won’t the marshalls know if you are in the wrong one?

Yes, but make up a story about a mate/brother/the dalai lama who you want to ride with and be at the back of the wave you want to start in and you’ll probably get in. Try to be at the front of the loading and someone will inevitably tell you to shove it. What can they do, disqualify you? Worst case you wait until your designated start time.

lunge

Smokey, try e-mailing them and explaining, worst case they say “tough”, more likely they will give you an option.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I started at 6.10 last year. There were plenty of people with different colour numbers in our pen. I think the marshalls get overwhelmed slightly.

You will be amazed how much faster you go. For instance I average around 16.5-17mph on 60-70 mile solo rides around the surrey hills. Last year I averaged 21mph on RideLondon. I jumped on the back of some chains admittedly, but most of it was on my own.

From the amount of training you guys have done, you’ll be fine 🙂

smokey_jo

lunge – Member
    Smokey, try e-mailing them and explaining, worst case they say “tough”, more likely they will give you an option.

Already done as was told no can do

Off round the Fylde coast on Saturday in search of flatter roads to see how that impacts our average speed.

nedrapier

just ride, jo. don’t go nuts, don’t spangle yourself overtraining. There’s a very good chance you’ll be grand. I found myself with very similar increases in speed to the others above.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I’ve not ridden iut before jo but i’ve heard lots of people ride it faster than they’ve ever done 100 before.

Unfortunately drafting isn’t one of her strong points

you’ve still got ages to train for this though. try it at the weekend. bit of through and off is not only a good way to share the work but also it’s a brilliant distraction and the miles can fly by.

jam-bo

I think there is only 3000ft of climbing in the whole route.

I did very little drafting, no one was running mudguards and it was so wet you got drowned if you got within a couple of yards of a back wheel.

simon_g

I’m well overweight and the year I did it my daughter was born in the January and we moved house after – so other than a couple of commutes and MTB rides, there was no “training” that year and the furthest I’d ridden was about 40 miles.

Despite the odd stop (including 10 minutes rest in a bus shelter in Wimbledon as my feet hurt so much) I still averaged over 14mph. The crowds, closed roads, other riders, never slowing or waiting at a junction really do sweep you along.

Fit two bottle cages, don’t bother with the “hub” stops – all the others still have drinks and toilets, and there were plenty of families outside their houses offering to fill bottles. Take plenty of food (I had a whole Soreen stashed in slices wrapped in foil), I think keeping enough fuel going in will get you through it. That and making sure you’re comfortable – try to get a couple of longer (50, 60 mile) rides in and make sure shoes, bike fit, clothes, etc don’t cause issues.

If timings are same as last year, you need to be at the Mall by 1745, so more than 9 hours to complete from a 8.30 start. Worst case you bypass Leith and/or Box Hill.

julzm
    Free Member

I’m a 7.20 start time but I’m in Team Pru so ironically can start whenever I want from the velodrome. Having not done it before (nor any sportives as I’m not a roadie) I’m thinking start as early as possible. Would that be the sensible approach?
    I’ve spoken to some colleagues who’ve done it and all give the same advice….don’t stop at the hubs.

crazy-legs

I got a late entry through work (ballot place), 05.44 start sp they’re definitely setting people off earlier (last year I was in first group off at 6am).

It’s phenomenal – both times I’ve done RL I’ve been about the 4hr mark – on my own on open roads (same route) I’d struggle to do it in less than 5’30”

They do – last year they were absolutely ruthless in not letting people jump into earlier waves and the wave opening points were well marshalled and controlled, no option (that I saw anyway) to jump gates or duck under ropes. A mate in a later wave tried to start with me and was turned back. Several other people, including a guy on a Boris Bike who tried explaining that on such a heavy bike he’d need all the time he could get, were also refused entry.

smokey_jo

So a flat 60 miles in just less than 6 hours completed today, wife’s start time is 20 mins before mine so hopefully should catch her by Richmond park.

First attempt at drafting on a flat stretch went ok at 16-17 mph.

5 weeks to go so a hilly 60 next week followed by a flat 75 the week after with the midweek rides as they are and hopefully we will beat the cut-off times at Box/Leith Hill and get to complete the whole course.

Finally got her kit and bike setup sorted too so good progress today.

atlaz
    Free Member

Sounds like you’re going well. You’ll only know on the day if you’ll do it but you’ll certainly go faster. I took over 100 mins off a local gran fondo route between a recon ride and the actual event. Some of that was fitness, some of that was riding in a group but some of it was also the feeling that I was being timed and I wanted to get it done as quickly as I could.

smokey_jo

Got all of the cut-off times and route and feeling a lot more confident now. Also told if you make all of the cut-offs you have until 17:30 to finish 🙂

Start = 8:15am

Hampton Court Bypass
    Description:27 Miles – 892 ft – 11:10am
    2 hours 35 mins = 10.5 mph average required to here

Leith Hill By-Pass
    Description: 53 miles 1846ft – 13:20
    5 hours 5 mins = 10.5 mph average from start

Box Hill By-pass
    Description:67 miles – 2896ft – 14:45
    6hours 30 mins = 10.5 mph average from start

Finish
    100 miles – 17:30 – 4441ft
    9hours 15 mins – 11mph average from start

A hilly 60 planned for this Saturday. If we manage 11 mph average on that including stops then we should be fine

akira

Just be aware of you’re going to try and spot her its very easy to miss someone with all the people on the road. Make sure you remember what she’s wearing.

atlaz
    Free Member

Just be aware of you’re going to try and spot her its very easy to miss someone with all the people on the road. Make sure you remember what she’s wearing.

Or just say that if she gets to the first hub or the feed station in Richmond Park (or wherever) and hasn’t seen you, wait there. And the same goes for you. Also, Garmin and iOS have “find a friend” sort of functionality and I assume other phones/GPS devices do too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘Ride London start time? Anyone else got theirs?’ is closed to new replies.