Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Ride London sponsor me (Apology and orphan cancer content)
  • TiRed

I don’t normally do sponsorship. Asking people to sponsor me for something I love to do goes against my better instincts. But this year is different…

As some of you may have realized, in January I lost my almost twin sister, Joanne, after a four-year fight with melanoma. She was 47 and leaves behind four young children. Last year she ran the London Marathon for Cancer Research with my other sister, Kerry, despite serious illness. In June my mother also died of the same awful disease. This year has left four children without a mother, twelve children without a grandmother, and to cap it all, myself and my remaining sister are now orphans! – my father died in a car crash when I was only six years old.

Winston’s Wish is a charity that supports bereaved children. Our family know first-hand what it is like to be a bereaved child growing up, and that is why I am supporting them in this year’s Ride London.

I’ve finished the previous three rides, and last year I was 84th overall (as I said, I ride a lot and race a bit). My challenge this year is to try and get the Winston’s Wish jersey on the television. So I am aiming for a first group finish and a time of less than my previous best 4:06:00. We shall see. Any contributions, no matter how small would be most welcome.

Link to justgiving page here

Kind regards

Daren Austin (TiRed)

IHN

Good on you, Winston’s Wish are incredible. Done, and all the best.

Well, and, ahem 🙂

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Simon-Massey-Unicef

notmyrealname
    Free Member

It sounds like you’ve had a pretty crappy year courtesy of cancer.
    Good luck with the ride and hope you manage to crack the 4h barrier 😯

TiRed

Actually the pace car doesn’t allow sub four hours 🙁 . The only way to go faster is to start in the second wave and bridge to the first. My clubmate did that last year and recorded the second fastest time overall 3:58:26.

swdan
    Free Member

Donation made for a good cause and good luck

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Ride London sponsor me (Apology and orphan cancer content)’ is closed to new replies.