Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)
  • Ride London 2016
  • disco_stu
    Free Member

Rejected again 🙁

reluctantlondoner

FFS. Another year with no joy. Sigh.

Wonder what I’m doing wrong on my app – have applied every year with no success. Nor can I get a London Marathon place, having tried that four or so times.

Might need to look at doing the charity thing, but like others have said I don’t feel it’s enough challenge to warrant it. Ho hum.

nedrapier

Well bugger me, I’m in. Wasn’t expecting that at all, not even a flicker of expectation when I opened the packet.

Applied every year, never got in until I moved out of London, making taking part much more of a palaver! Maybe that’s what bumped me in. Me bringing my considerable provincial spending power to the hostelries of London.

gringo

It’s a no for me. Done it last year for the MS Society but only 96 miles due to the detour at Leith Hill. Kind of gutted but kind of relieved, got our first kid on the way in April so training would likely be replaced with changing dirty nappies, vomit and lack of sleep….

singletrackmind

Im in as well .
    Looking foward to it , although my winter milage is probably 10% of last years so alot of work to do . This does mean however I might miss out on DrP’s now legendary Brighton- London-Brighton car crash of a bike ride as last year it was on the same day as RL.

Leigh2612
    Free Member

Same as reluctant Londoner for me….I’m out…after applying every year so far unsuccessfully

brakes
    Free Member

not in this year.
    never mind – I might join in anyway.

njee20
    Free Member

Commiserations for me. 3rd entry. 3rd failure.

Will do spannering again I think!

belugabob
    Free Member

That’s another annoyance – some people get in every year, others never get in.
    Can’t help thinking they should prioritize newcomers.

hooli

Rejected.

I said I wouldn’t be too bothered after doing it for the last 3 years but I was gutted when I saw the magazine last night.

theflatboy
    Free Member

seems like a lot of people on here didn’t get places – guess the application numbers are getting bigger and bigger…

nedrapier

That’s another annoyance – some people get in every year, others never get in.

Lady friend of mine has got a ballot place every year. Two X chromosomes seem to help your chances, from what I’ve seen.

She might not do it this year – 2 weeks after an iron man. 100 miles probably doesn’t fall into the category of “recovery leg-stretcher”!

coomber
    Free Member

I’ve applied every year and not been successful, as have at least 4 of my friends each and every year.

Agree with others, when people know you enjoying riding, it’s hard to ask for sponsership when it’s something that whilst challenging, is doable and something you enjoy.

theflatboy
    Free Member

and also if you’re just going for a decent time, rather than trying to get round at all – when I did the Dragon ride I raised quite a bit, but was comfortable asking as I wasn’t sure I’d actually get round!

jam-bo

just had a text from a mate.

he didn’t bother entering the ballot this year after three knockbacks but just got an acceptance letter…

theflatboy
    Free Member

That must be the key to success – play hard to get 😆

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

didn’t bother entering the ballot this year after three knockbacks but just got an acceptance letter

How does that work then?

jam-bo

How does that work then?

that’s what he’s wondering.

jimdubleyou

Commiserations for me (0/1).

IHN

Last year I failed the ballot but got a charity place with Shelter.

This year I failed the ballot but have just got a charity place with UNICEF.

Both years I ticked the ‘donate your entry fee and if you miss the ballot we’ll send you a natty riding top’. This year’s top actually fits 🙂

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Don’t you just wait until a month beforehand and then take up someone else’s place when reality hits home/they realise they haven’t done any training etc.?

I’m sure there’s been people trying to give away entries here before and on other forums (yes, they do exist)/in the workplace etc.

jam-bo

I was a spectator last year. there were plenty crossing the finish line without numbers on.

matt_bl
    Free Member

I’ve also done the London double this year, with rejections for the marathon and the ride.

I’m going to do the Manchester marathon and the Salford triathlon instead.

Just wait, they’ll come crawling back next year!

Matt

sadmadalan

Much to my surprise, I’m in. Even bigger surprise is that my better half managed to get in as well. Now do I ride with her at a pace that I will find painfully slow or do I do it at my own pace and suffer the consequences!

njee20
    Free Member

when I did the Dragon ride I raised quite a bit, but was comfortable asking as I wasn’t sure I’d actually get round!

I wouldn’t do it for charity.

TiRed

0/4 🙁

Will be submitting the BC Club challenge again this year. Might ride for a charity too (Winston’s Wish). Hoping for sub 4 hrs.

theflatboy
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    when I did the Dragon ride I raised quite a bit, but was comfortable asking as I wasn’t sure I’d actually get round!
    I wouldn’t do it for charity.

?

russjp
    Free Member

£58 😯

crossland
    Free Member

Rejected

belugabob
    Free Member

I’ll probably being doing my own event…
    “Who gives a sh*t about London 100”
    100 miles of quiet Sussex lanes, with a pub stop half way (sausage, mash and a pint will be less than £56)

😉

smogmonster

Yep, ì got a place, which is a shòck as i dont recall ever entering?!? I have missed out the previous 3 years though when i defo did enter. Now for the pain in the balls of finding accomodation, parking etc. Im beginning to wonder if its actually worth the hassle.. Are there any campsites in the vicinity of the start? Or perhaps a Premier Inn/ Travel lodge type place?

njee20
    Free Member

theflatboy – Member

[quote]

I wouldn’t do it for charity.[/quote]
    ?[/quote]

Just have a bit of a thing about asking for sponsorship for something that isn’t a challenge and that I want to do.

freeagent
    Free Member

Yep, ì got a place, which is a shòck as i dont recall ever entering?!? I have missed out the previous 3 years though when i defo did enter. Now for the pain in the balls of finding accomodation, parking etc. Im beginning to wonder if its actually worth the hassle.. Are there any campsites in the vicinity of the start? Or perhaps a Premier Inn/ Travel lodge type place?

Best option is to park at the O2 and ride through the Blackwall tunnel (which is closed on the day)
    You’ll get an email/letter from them about parking etc a few weeks before.

crosshair
    Free Member

I’ll probably being doing my own event…
    “Who gives a sh*t about London 100”
    100 miles of quiet Sussex lanes, with a pub stop half way (sausage, mash and a pint will be less than £56)

….said nobody who won a ballot place ever 😀

I’m in. 1/3 for me.

nedrapier

Here’s an alternative, or a warm up for anyone interested. Beautiful countryside and quiet roads in Hants and West Sussex. Great homemade cake at the stops, if you’re lucky, you might get some of my wife’s.

We’ll be doing the 60 miler again. That was plenty last year. Don’t really fancy nearly double the climbing!

http://littlelumpy.co.uk/

Challenge: 60 miles (96.5km) with 4587ft (1398m) of climbing, over the South Downs four times and with two feed stops.

Epic: 100 miles (161km) with 8434ft (2570m) of climbing, eleven climbs and three feed stops.

crazy-legs

3 applications.
    3 rejections.

Maybe I should have pretended to be a girl.

SamB
    Free Member

0 for 3 here as well, and 0 for 6 on the London marathon. Started to get a bit cheesed off!!

Maybe Ride London could introduce a “good for age” category like the marathon… No idea how you’d police it though, mandatory 10 mile TT?? 😈

ransos
    Free Member

In at the 4th attempt! Now to sort out some accommodation: any recommendations?

atlaz
    Free Member

ransos – depends if you want an earlier start and quick finish (i.e. hotel near the mall) or the opposite. I’d reckon it’ll depend on your start time.

ransos
    Free Member

ransos – depends if you want an earlier start and quick finish (i.e. hotel near the mall) or the opposite. I’d reckon it’ll depend on your start time.

I reckon I’d be best off staying nearer the start – I’ll have to collect my pack the day before from Excel. I have friends in SE London so I’m going to see if they can put me up, but I don’t suppose they’ll be too impressed with me getting up at 5am.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘Ride London 2016’ is closed to new replies.