Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 109 total)
  • Ride London 2016
  • mrjmt
    Free Member

Are you in?

My magazine still hasn’t arrived so don’t know either way.

I remember last year there was some kind of back door into the website to find out, anybody aware of similar this year?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Waiting to find out…

woodster

Not in.

Would have been nice, but not too disappointed.

nedrapier

I got my “tough shit” magazine in the post. Or maybe that was last year’s. I forget. Time flies, doesn’t it?

Also, I’m a lot less bothered since I moved from London to Surrey last year. Riding to the start, into Surrey back to London, and home back from the finish is one thing. Less appealing to train in from Surrey day the before, find somewhere to stay, ride to Surrey and back and train home again.

freeagent
    Free Member

I guess I’ll find out tonight..??

Did it last year – would like to do it again but ultimately not that fussed.

jimdubleyou

I went to watch last year as it went past the in-laws house.

Not had anything back yet, but deadline is 15th?

jonjones262
    Free Member

How do people get back from the end of the ride?

Is it “do the ride, then jump no the train with your bike and get back to your car”?

Surely there would be 1000’s of people with bikes trying to get somewhere…

Or do you just ride back and do the course in reverse too

vinnyeh

‘COMMISERATIONS”

Oh, thanks. 🙂

belugabob
    Free Member

Got badgered into applying last year.
    Received the ‘commiserations’ magazine, then realised how cynically exploitative the whole mass participation charity events have become.
    What the magazine basically says is “there aren’t enough spaces in the event for us to offer you one, because we pre-allocated them to charities who will offer you a place, thereby preventing you from raising money for the charity of your choice. Oh yes, we hope you don’t mind the awful waste and cost involved in printing this glossy magazine as a way of insulting you”

Or am I just getting old and grouchy? 😉

Anyway, I also feel rather embarrassed to ask people to sponsor me for doing something that I love – I’d rather just go for a quiet ride with my mates, and donate some money to charity anyway.

For those of you who do get in – enjoy the day, rise to the challenge, raise whatever you can and (most important of all) be safe and represent cycling in a good way

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Is it “do the ride, then jump no the train with your bike and get back to your car”?

Yep

I stayed in a crappy travelodge the night before, rode to start, did ride, then rode to station and got train home.

It was a nice quiet train and I was the only one with a bike on my carriage.

The starts are staggered over quite a few hours and this spreads everything out quite a bit. I was in an earlyish start group and was finished by just after 11, so that probably helped

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

i was chastised by Mrs Feet for not doing it for charity last year. i said it was because I didn’t really see it as a big enough ‘challenge’ to warrant badgering people for money. Apparently that was the wrong answer!

freeagent
    Free Member

walked/rode to Charring X with bike – train home (Orpington) shower/dinner then got a lift back to the O2 to pick up my car.

akira

Yeah not in but the wife got in, pity really as we rarely get the chance to ride together.

aP
    Free Member

when is it this year? just so’s I can arrange a weekend away then.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Just got a message from my wife, I’m in!

Best get some riding done.

brakes
    Free Member

31st July

enbern
    Free Member

Didn’t get in and actually quite gutted.

This would have been my first big road event and I was well up for it.

Are there any other events that are similar in the UK? Won’t be as convenient cause I actually live in Surrey but I’d still like something on my calendar for me to train towards…

theflatboy
    Free Member

aP – Member
    when is it this year? just so’s I can arrange a weekend away then.

aP – Member
    When is it? Just so’s I can arrange to be away that weekend.

POSTED 1 YEAR AGO #

😆 Google wasn’t working a year ago either, right? 🙂

aP
    Free Member

I can’t be arsed to google it, when I know someone on here will be keen to let me know when it is 😉

theflatboy
    Free Member

enbern – there are loads on here: http://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/, they won’t be the same scale or prestige/closed roads as the Ride London, but plenty to choose from.

I loved the Ride London last year, didn’t enter this year as fancied something different, going for a couple as linked on the page above.

theflatboy
    Free Member

aP – Member
    I can’t be arsed to google it, when I know someone on here will be keen to let me know when it is

fair point – QED…

enbern
    Free Member

Cheers theflatboy I appreciate it, I actually already do a few of the MTB events on that website and will definitely be doing some road ones this year!

I was hoping for some epic rides similar to the Ride London – on closed roads would be all the more sweet!

Guess I’ll have to settle for the London to Brighton – only 54 miles though, which I don’t think will be too hard. I’ll just have to do it FAST.

aP
    Free Member

Dragon Ride is a good effort, although the last time I did it people seemed to be being scraped into ambulances every time the road changed direction.
    I’d suggest just going to ride stuff in Europe instead, its much better, and the level of riding isn’t quite so awful as it is in the UK. ie Maratona, Marmotte type events.

nedrapier

fair point – QED…

except 2 seconds clicking and swiping over a bit of the thread title, then pasting into a google search would have got him the answer quicker and with less bother than typing out how much he didn’t want to be around (again) and then about how unbothered he was about it after all.

jam-bo

but then we wouldn’t know how unbothered he was.

I’d like to do it again and get the full 100 in. I did the Bertha year and got cut short to 86.

wwaswas

I’m in.

Now I can start fretting about getting there and back…

freeagent
    Free Member

My riding buddy has just sent me a picture of his acceptance letter – I’m at work so not idea what the postman has delivered to my house..

The suspense is killing me!!

nedrapier

I’d like to do it again and get the full 100 in. I did the Bertha year and got cut short to 86.

Me too. I was relatively happy that my ride to the start and back from the finish put me over 100 anyway.

Might even be pleasant in the dry! Except it wouldn’t. You’d just go faster until you reached your tolerance level for unpleasantness.

akira

If you want something similar try the Nichole sportive, not closed roads but similar length and many of the same bits.

brakes
    Free Member

if you didn’t get in, you could join a BC-affiliated road club who can apply for an allocation of tickets.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Got in through the ballot last year and did the full 100.

Got in again this year – well chuffed 😀

dthom3uk

It’s a no for me, but I’m going to take a charity place with the good people from Beating Bowel Cancer.

globalti
    Free Member

I did the Ride London 86 a couple of years ago. The rain was biblical; I’ve never ridden a bike in rain as heavy as that. To my amazement my Castelli Sottile rain cape kept my top half pretty dry.

crazy-legs

I did the Ride London 86 a couple of years ago. The rain was biblical; I’ve never ridden a bike in rain as heavy as that. To my amazement my Castelli Sottile rain cape kept my top half pretty dry.

I actually quite enjoyed that!
    I only got a place in it through work who’d “bought” 3 team places and allocated them by raffle. I’ve never got in through the normal ballot. Not heard yet but I’m expecting the “commiserations” magazine on my door as usual. 🙁

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

No place for me, but I’ll probably chuck my name in the hat work the work ballot for a space

wilburt
    Free Member

In 🙂

freeagent
    Free Member

I’m in!

russyh
    Free Member

I’m in! Now to start working out what looks set to be a logistical nightmare!

longmover
    Free Member

I’m in, got 24/12 solo the weekend before.

m0rk
    Free Member

I’m in too.

Looking forward to it after I had to bail on the first year.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘Ride London 2016’ is closed to new replies.