Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Ride, cry, drink .ride ,repeat
  • Basil

Anybody got a better way to deal with family bereavement

grahamt1980

It’s what has worked for 2 deaths in my Family.
    2 days after dad died I went out on the bike. 2 days after my Nan died I went out on the bike. Sadly the latter one was the week before last.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

No mate that (maybe not the drink) and time will see you through.

It does get easier but the tears always creep back.

Remember the good times you had.

All the best pal

scaredypants

make time for your other family members and friends too – you may find you all need each other

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It’s a good plan. Scaredypants + 1

Don’t be afraid of the tearful moments. It’s normal and healthy. My sympathy. Take care of yourself.

boxfish
    Free Member

Basil, ride all you want. Temper the drinking as you see fit. My old man went 10 years ago. It never goes away, you just look back from a greater distance.

Ambrose

Try to get some sleep too. But riding is good, until you stop at the top of the hill to make a phone call to your mum… who can’t pick up any more.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

When I lost my wee lad I spent a fortnight locked in the house hugging my cat sobbing. I think it was just after that Foxychick sometimes of these parts came to visit since I had just moved somewhere I knew no one. It took a hell of a lot longer than that to return to something resembling normal function.

So I would say your plan sounds entirely reasonable and probably better than mine was. Though I would try and moderate the alcohol consumption.

daveh
    Free Member

No good can come of the alcohol bit unless its just prior and purely for the purpose of sleep. Remember there’s others hurting too, and you and they together are the way to get through it (as much as you ever can).

glupton1976
    Free Member

Go out on the bike and explore some new places. Makes for great thinking time.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Yeah, it was before hand it did the most use for me, didn’t want to let my mum see how upset I was, went out onto a hill, sat down had a cry – I was a little bit on my own and it made the world of difference to just being able to cope the rest of time.

Immediatley after I found rainy rides were very good hiding the mid ride weeps.

Basil

First funeral yesterday ,on bike and drinking now.next funeral tomorrow.
    Require something else to think about.

asterix
    Free Member

Basil – really sorry to hear that mate. Lost my dad at the start of last month so I know a bit of how you must feel. Am riding again now but the crying wells up now and again, and probably will for a while yet. Keep close to your family

scaredypants

stick with it Basil – and go steady on the booze if you can

how are your family & friends doing ?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Ride, cry, drink .ride ,repeat’ is closed to new replies.