Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Ricky Gervais – all mouth and no trousers
  • bravohotel9er
    Free Member

To be fair, the Basra branch of the Comedy Store is rubbish.

It's full of obnoxious stag parties down from Baghdad for the weekend, I got some dirty looks when I asked for a draught Carlsberg too.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

ton – Member
    i like bernard manning

I bet you couldn't eat a whole one though eh? 😉

ex-pat
    Free Member

He's on my first to go list once I reach world domination. Along with jm carey.
    Gob shites the both of them.
    Steve Martin too, for crimes against humanity – making tripe like he does.

[edit]
    Except dirty rotten scoundrels. That wasn't half bad, but then I think the half good was more Michael Caine – he's on the keep list!

FuzzyWuzzy

The Office and Extras were great, the Simpsons episode he did was crap and The Invention of Lying was the biggest load of shite I've seen (I'm assuming it didn't get amazingly better in the second half, I had to turn it off before then).

DezB
    Free Member

I'm always amazed on here, at how different people like different comedy.
    Amazed I tell you.

Tim
    Free Member

Never understood his popularity, i don't find him funny at all. It's a bit like watching a real life version of colin hunt, and i never even found that piss-take funny either!

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Personally I think he's quite funny. Not everything he says is funny – but isn't that true of most comedians? And as has been mentioned above, it is his choice as to where he goes. His response was a typical Gervais answer which leaves you none the clearer as to his real reasons for not going but, that said, he is also entitled to not explain his reasons or motives for doing or not doing something (unless it involves breaking the law and a court). He may well do a lot of other charitable things that he would rather not talk about. But then again, he is entitled to not do anything for charity either. Why would that be our concern?

brick
    Free Member

Like The Office and Extras. His stand up is not for me.
    I like Stewart Lee.

whytetrash

Loved the office and extras…only because it's so cringeworthy…stand ups ok. BUT watched the trailer for "idiot abroad" the other night, his laughing at the fella he's sending round the world was so obviously forced and false I switched it off!

But if he doesn't want to ship out to Afghanistan for a gig that's his choice.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

the office would have been funny whoever played brent……………..
    gervais is a coCk

what a load of bollox (but your are entiltled to your opinion:)

for the comedy genuis that was 'the office' you cannot beat that and i salute him. lots of my mates cant stand him and never 'got' the office but i think you have had to actually have worked in an office to understand it fully.

his stand up is not brilliant, but he is not the worst.

i love alan partridge and vic and bob aswell, again mates cannot understand what i see funny in it…. you either get it or you don't.

i think that type of comedy is surreal, compared to more common 'middle of the road' stuff

then again some of my mates find alan car, peter kay and Al Murray funny and i think they are utter tripe!

each to their own though!

verses

IMO…

11 O'clock show stuff was great
    Loved the Office
    Extras was so-so
    Podcast is ok
    Stand-up is good enough
    I've avoided seeing his films

Sawyer
    Free Member

I'd rather watch Gervais do stand-up than anyone else.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I think he's a complete twonk but at least he had the honesty to say he was scared. Too easy to say 'other commitments' or some such twaddle.

Steven Merchant is the brians of the outfit, though. I'd listen to him all day, RG would be switched off in minutes.

Cougar

Never really 'got' Ricky Gervais, he leaves me cold. Never watched The Extras, and when I've seen him outside of that and The Office he's been about as funny as a dose of the runs.

I thought the Office was alright despite Gervais rather than because of him. The real stars of that show were Mackenzie Crook and Martin Freeman.

IMHO, etc etc.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I sometimes find him funny, sometimes extremely irritating! However, echoing what ScottChegg said, at least he had the balls to admit he is too scared. Gervais has chosen to make his money as a comedian with a tiny chance of death whilst at work, soldiers choose to earn their keep in war zone., I don't see why he should go if he doesn't want to. I wouldn't work in Basra right now, no flipping way!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Ed2001 – Member
    Don't worry I'm sure Jim Davidson will be happy to take the gig. He's patriotic and dead funny too

Fixed, as they say, that for you…

molgrips
    Free Member

I think he's a very clever and sensitive bloke, and his films are pretty good I reckon. I don't particularly like him as an actor though as he does struggle a bit to get into the characters he's created.

Actor – no
    Writer – definitely yes.

He has written a lot too.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

theres only one way to end this thread, the way the office ended…

"Life is just a series of peaks and troughs. And you don't know whether you're in a trough until you're climbing out, or on a peak until you're coming down. And that's it you know, you never know what's round the corner. But it's all good. 'If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain.' Do you know which "philosopher" said that? Dolly Parton. And people say she's just a big pair of tits."

retro83
    Free Member

Steven Merchant is the brians of the outfit, though. I'd listen to him all day, RG would be switched off in minutes.

'brians' 🙂

I think Ricky is a smart bloke to be honest. I'm somewhat ashamed to say I've learned quite a bit from hearing him explain stuff to pilkington!

theres only one way to end this thread, the way the office ended…

Shit sorry, I seem to have **** that up

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Ricky Gervais – all mouth and no trousers’ is closed to new replies.