Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 150 total)
  • Richard Dawkins comments on this Brexit fiasco and it's difficult to disagree
  • kaiser
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJQ2NKKwzuE[/video]

Yak

Indeed.

miketually
    Free Member

Yup.

molgrips
    Free Member

He might be right but the way he’s said it is not going to have any positive effect. He called brexiters stupid, that tends not to go down well.

funkmasterp

Not watched it. Does he blame Religion at some point?

DezB
    Free Member

He called brexiters stupid, that tends not to go down well.

Truth hurts

kaiser
    Free Member

not stupid necessarily but maybe misled turkeys that ordered xmas?

johnx2
    Free Member

…so what do we do?

martinhutch

Ignorant and ill-informed, not stupid. Although they’re not mutually exclusive, I guess.

mtbfix

Yep. Whilst I agree 100% id not be sharing it on Facebook.

miketually
    Free Member

He called brexiters stupid

I don’t think he did. He said the electorate was ill-informed and ignorant, not Leave voters.

kimbers

ill-informed, ignorant and misled, not stupid

all of which are true

ill-informed,
    the media has distorted this for years, Borris’ columns about straight bananas
    the constant demonising of immigrants in the tabloids,

ignorant
    outside of specific fields who even knew we were part of Euratom, the European Medicines Agency, Horizon 2020, ERASMUS, and the many other brilliant EU collaborations

misled
    Gove lying about Turkeys accession to the EU
    Everything ever said by Farage
    The Leavers on here wear the 350m lie on the bus as a badge of honour as it helped them win…

youre right tho, in this PC gone mad world you cant call a spade a spade these days 😉

kimbers

funkmasterp – Member
    Not watched it. Does he blame Religion at some point?

no

Junkyard
    Free Member

he said they were ill informed

What % of brexiter voters could explain how the EU elects the parliament, president and the “unelected ” commissioners and see if you disagree

Probably true of all voters to be fair . It was many things but it was not the informed choice of a well educated populace armed only with impartial facts

jonnyboi

Dawkins ruins the content with his delivery, non shocker.

I also think he’s generally getting a bit desperate for the oxygen of publicity, but at least the mail and express will have a big feature on this I assume, so big win.

kelvin

1) He said the electorate as a whole was ill-informed/ignorant, not just those who voted Leave.
    2) He accused no-one of being “stupid”.

Other than that, I agree.

Coyote
    Free Member

not stupid necessarily but maybe misled turkeys that ordered xmas?

Probably one of the best descriptions I’ve read.

winston
    Free Member

Blaming the electorate is not what he is doing.
    Ask an ill formed and ignorant question and you’ll get a stupid answer.
    There is clearly someone to blame for the present fiasco but it isn’t the people who voted, even if they voted differently to you or I.

molgrips
    Free Member

He said the electorate as a whole was ill-informed/ignorant, not just those who voted Leave

Same effect though.

all of which are true

I don’t disagree, I’ve been saying it for years. But it won’t win anyone over unfortuantely.

kaiser
    Free Member

Dawkins may irritate many by sometimes appearing condescendng but to be frank he’s normally spot on with what he says and doesn’t resort to using rhetoric and obfuscation like most politicians do in order to win a debate.
    why wouldn’t you share it on facebook?…I have.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Likes.

Truth hurts.

kimbers

jonnyboi – Member
    Dawkins ruins the content with his delivery, non shocker.

I also think he’s generally getting a bit desperate for the oxygen of publicity, but at least the mail and express will have a big feature on this I assume, so big win.

really?

hes one of the greatest living theoretical biologists, his work has helped shape science and medicine for the last 40 years.

Trimix
    Free Member

We are all idiots for allowing technical, complex questions to be decided by a combination of Politicians persuading voters to vote on it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

He is quite right. We should have had a two-thirds majority to take us into the EEC and to approve Maastricht and Lisbon. We can change this now. Any major new agreement like rejoining the EU should have a two-thirds majority.

kimbers

jambalaya – Member
    He is quite right. We should have had a two-thirds majority to take us into the EEC and to approve Maastricht and Lisbon. We can change this now. Any major new agreement like rejoining the EU should have a two-thirds majority.

If we wait a few years for all the old brexies to die off, shouldnt be a problem 😉

badnewz
    Free Member

I studied for too many years at Oxford and it was well known Dawkins was at heart an attention seeker. Only time I met him was at the Computer Services where “three phones” Dawkins was trying to get one fixed to continue the expansion of his Media Empire.
    As someone above said, people are bored of the New Atheism so he needs to find a new gig, but he can recycle the old rhetorical methods by swapping religious believers for Leave voters.

poah
    Free Member

DezB – Member

Truth hurts

why go down the road of abuse, if I had voted in the referendum I would have voted leave and I’m far from stupid.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Ignorant and ill-informed, not stupid

there was a large percentage of people who knew what they were voting for, but there was also a very significant percentage of people that were ignorant and ill-informed and persuaded by the media.

We can add all the people that didn’t vote, including the youth, to the ignorant list.

Overall it is the EUs fault that this happened and there is such dissent across Europe.

They should have recognised what was happening and that the working classes in particular were feeling shafted by their vision, and changed their model accordingly.

The fact that they didn’t and instead sought to impose agreements like TTIP is justification enough to wish the current EU project to crash and burn and perhaps EU v2.0 to come along in future.

jonnyboi

really?

hes one of the greatest living theoretical biologists, his work has helped shape science and medicine for the last 40 years.

I don’t think that either of our comments disproves the other, do they?

franksinatra

Supports my theory that voting rights should be proportionate to your intelligence. Everyone sits an IQ test, gets one vote for every 10 IQ points they have.

Domestic and world politics would look very different if that was applied

shermer75
    Free Member

‘Well known personality is an attention seeker’ shocker 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

We should have had a two-thirds majority to take us into the EEC and to approve Maastricht and Lisbon.

Much as I can’t stand Jam’s political point of view, he’s right here – this is the glaring hole in Dawkins’ argument.

kimbers

I don’t think that either of our comments disproves the other, do they?

true, depends whether newsnight approached him for their click generating opinion piece feature or he sought them

I suspect the former

kaiser
    Free Member

“there was a large percentage of people who knew what they were voting for”
    really ? ..the gov’t itself doesn’t seem to know and is struggling to formulate an acceptable plan . As for Theresa May …..priorities
    1/ego/power
    2/not losing face
    3/party
    4/face cream

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

^^^ You forgot shoes. 😆

failedengineer

Absolutely spot on, Mr Dawkins. He could also have picked up on the fact that if 16 & 17 year olds had been given the vote the result would have been very different. Probably.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Being insulted by Dawkins will just make them rub their hands faster in anticipation for the new whiter, cleaner bigger hospitals. You know, the ones that Brexit would usher in? Like a 1950s vision of paradise. Pubs full of Farage, bars full of Babs and none of that doner rubbish just proper pork pies from British pigs. If you want to know what Brexit Britain thinks about the BBC go read the Express et al.

*Edit

And, to us remoaners: Dawkins to Brexit-voters is like Farage to us. A cartoonish and self-interested baddie-twit who becomes even more annoying as he thinks he knows better than all of us.

Brexit here, Trump there. ‘Unity’ has never seemed so far away.

kimbers

The fact that they didn’t and instead sought to impose agreements like TTIP is justification enough to wish the current EU project to crash and burn and perhaps EU v2.0 to come along in future.

but they didnt impose anything

It was debated for years, delayed indefinitely by France in particular, while our own government under Dave & Gideon was in favour of TTIP !

good job turnerguy, I think youve managed to tick at least 2 out of Dawkin’s 3

ill-informed, ignorant and misled,

😆

moonsaballoon

He’s right , although I’m not sure you can necessarily blame people , the way the campaigns were run were a disgrace . There simply wasn’t enough proper information to make an informed desicion . Leave took advantage by making stuff up and the remain campaign was so fractured and complacent they failed to convince people that the status quo was the best option .
    I’m not really looking forward doing it again , I live in Scotland , next year where the basic argument is the same . Leave saying is your life a bit crap ? Well vote leave and it will be better and remain saying is your life a bit crap ? Well it will be even worse if you vote leave .

mrmo
    Free Member

TurnerGuy, no one has really been shafted by the EU, Westminster has been doing the shafting. Why are Sweden and the UK and Greece such different places yet all within the EU. For that matter why are Cornwall and London economically in such different states.

Ever noticed the blue EU development signs scattered across south wales?

Turkeys and Christmas comes to mind.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 150 total)

The topic ‘Richard Dawkins comments on this Brexit fiasco and it's difficult to disagree’ is closed to new replies.