Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Ribble Winter Audax bike- any good?
  • codybrennan
    Free Member

As per the title really…thinking about getting one of these as a winter hack/commuter. Looks good for the money, though I’d like the option to up the tyre size from 23’s.

Anyone bought one?

damitamit
    Free Member

If you’re talking about the alu one, just based on how many people own them they must be good! At least 5 in the small road club I belong too.

colande
    Free Member

haven’t got one but “up to 23mm tyres” is a bit tight from ribble for a winter bike.
    as an another cheap alternative look at the dolan prefissio’s bit.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Good point damitamit, they are plentiful…

Colande: all the selectable tyre options on the Ribble site are 23mm; cool will check out Dolan- thanks for the tip.

RustySpanner

23mm tyres, short head tube, harsh ride.
    Just like a hardcore road bike, but with mudguards.

Which is why I didn’t buy one, as I’ve already got a stiff roadbike that resembles a medeival torture device.

MoreCashThanDash

You can just squeeze 25mm tyres in with guards, but it is tight. No idea why they haven’t stepped it up to 25mm. They used to make a sloping toptube audax frame (mine was black) with better clearance

Other than that, great value frames – used to come up a little larger than many people expected on sizing.

RustySpanner

There were some lovely Giant Defy road bikes in my LBS today on sale for about £500.
    They take guards and look silly vfm.

Have a look at Surosa cycles in Oldham too – they do a similar bike to the Ribble.
    Linky to Surosa.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Thanks MCTD, RS- interesting viewpoints.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Spotty dog IMHO..
    £90 frame and forks, full guards, 105/ Tiagra, you can’t go wrong.

Crappy iPhone pic:

will
    Free Member

You really cam’t go wrong for the price, I loved mine and only sold because I wanted to run a SS as a winter bike.

However… It’s not light, it’s not pretty, and it’s certainly not that comfortable! But it’s cheap!

redddraggon
    Free Member

I used one for light touring type stuff for about 3 or 4 years, yes the clearances are tight, but I never had any issues with comfort.

It’s a real shame it didn’t take anything bigger than 23mm (I tried) but the only reason I got rid of it was because of a crash which bent the rear triangle.

MoreCashThanDash

teeto – is that the sloping top tube frame like I had? Was better than the blue one, wider tyres improved comfort no end.

Sold it to a bloke in Cambridge who had it nicked just after 🙁

And have a look at the Giant Defy think they have special guards designed to squeeze in the frame

codybrennan
    Free Member

Yeah, there is a special Giant guard MCTD.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

teeto – is that the sloping top tube frame like I had? Was better than the blue one, wider tyres improved comfort no end.

Yes, yes it is..

To be fair, I’ve not ridden it enough since getting my Vaya..

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Tifosi do one that can take 28mm Conti 4seasons and mudguards

or go posh with Sabbath September

codybrennan
    Free Member

Thanks all.

I also spotted this last night:

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/b/q/CBSABLAROCTIA/sab_la_rocca_shimano_tiagra_road_bike

Can spec’ it with 25mm tyres.

I’ll mail PX and see what its like with guards.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Ribble Winter Audax bike- any good?’ is closed to new replies.