Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Ribble sportive on cyclescheme….anyone bought one? experiences / reviews?
  • DT78
    Free Member

I'm looking at buying my first road bike via cyclescheme, based on internet reviews it seems Ribble or PlanetX provide the best value bikes via the scheme (Ribble charge an extra £65, PlanetX £100).

Does anyone have or use a Ribble sportive?
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/specialedition.asp?action=GenerateConstructor&part=SERIBBLESPORTIVESHIM&sub=conf_SERC&bike=1I

I'd also be interested in what size you are and what options you took – (frame size, stem, bar width etc…)

spacecadett
    Free Member

I bought a Ribble Sportive from Ribble on the Cycle Scheme last year. Ordered it in July 09 & at the time of ordering, asked if it was in stock as I needed it for a trip to the Alps in August – was told yes. I received the bike in September 09 after considerable chasing.

I was measured on a jig in the Ribble shop and advised that a small (49) frame would suit me (I am 5'8''). I wasn't sure and they did not have one I could test but I went with their advice. The frame was too small (top tube too short) so I sold it on here in May and transferred all the components onto a Litespeed frame (also bought off here).

The frame itself was great & the quality was brill for £1k. I will not buy from Ribble again however.

My advice would be to make sure that Ribble have stock before ordering. If you can, get it in writing and get some commitment from them.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Judging by the posts on here, Ribble sound like **** idiots so planet x seems to be the obvious choice

aP
    Free Member

I would never buy anything from ribble again after my one experience with them.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

The ribble customer service is poor but the overall value for money is excellent.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I knew 2 people who loved their Ribbles (one carbon and one winter audax) but dread the customer service.

I wouldn't buy from them or some other shops that mimic their service.
    You'll get a good deal but dealing with aftersales should be simple as buying, not a nightmare.

DT78
    Free Member

Hmmmm, I have bought a few bits and pieces from them over the last 6 months or so and never had any problems. I've never bought a mail order bike though – do they have a shop or is it a solely internet based.

I know is shouldn't be important but I really think the planetx looks a bit naff….maybe I'll look at a few more pics.

Is there anything else out there that can touch these two on value (and be bought via a cyclescheme voucher)

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Ive never had a drama with Ribble, and Ive bought loads from them in the past…

Mind, That reserve and collect system is spot on…

bazzer
    Free Member

I ordered an SL pro with SRAM red kit on it from Planet X yesterday and I got an email today saying its going to be built on Tuesday.

I exhanged a few emails with them and they were very helpful.

My first road bike since I was about 16 realy looking forward to it. Hope the weather is good next week for a good blast on it.

Bazzer

donsimon
    Free Member

I've just ordered a frame from Ribble and getting it shipped to Spain, should I be worried? 😆

Hells

Bought a frame earlier this year & it took a week to arrive, complete with the headset installed. Built it up over Easter and as soon as I tried it it out it felt right (even compared to the bike I'd been riding for the last 5 years). 😀

I loves mine I does!!

Although the geaometry might not suit everybody!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Ribble sportive on cyclescheme….anyone bought one? experiences / reviews?’ is closed to new replies.