Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Ribble Cycles again : Does this sound reasonable to you?
  • fbk
    Free Member

Received an order from them earlier this week which included a couple of Michelin DH tubes. When I tried to fit one yesterday evening the small nut on the presta valve sheared off (I was only screwing it up loosly to put the innertube into the tyre!).

Just got off the phone to them this morning and the (friendly enough) chap I spoke to said the only thing I can do is send it back with a cover note and they'll "try" and get a warranty replacement off the manufacturer. He added that they "may" just say I've tried to over tighten it!! The thing's clearly not even been fitted!

Given the great returns service the other big name internet companies offer, is this not a bit rubbish or am I being unreasonable?

alexxx
    Free Member

I guess its only a tube, so just get £1 tesco ones in the future? dh tubes are false advertising anyway, weigh more and puncture just as easily and cost a lot more

fbk
    Free Member

Just to make it clear – this is a DH specific tube so cost around £7. Still not a huge amount but worth following up imho!?

Edit: but yes alexxx, you may be right, there may not be any real advantage to using them.

BigDummy
    Free Member

If I was living in abject poverty and the fact that I'd snapped a valve meant that I would now have to choose between buying another tube and feeding my family then I might consider phoning the place I'd bought the tube from and telling them that they had to give me another one because I'd broken the first one.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Is it the nut on the outside of the valve or the internal of the valve?

Its kind of hard to understand how it could happen by losely tightening it up,

fbk
    Free Member

BD thanks for your input – invaluable as ever 😕

Singlespeed_Shep – it's the small thread within the valve that's sheared – the one that you tighten to stop the air coming out of the valve.

Yes, I know it's "only a tube". Call me a tight arse but it's still £7.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

You can take them out on most tubes with a stans tool, not sure if it works on michelin though.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

One of these bad boys

clicky click click

fbk
    Free Member

Hmm thanks for the info – worth considering I guess. I'm not convinced the valve core is removable in these.

It's kind of missing the point though – it's the fact the thing fell apart with gentle pressure having just been taken out of the box.

Never mind. I'll just put it down to experience and stick with CRC/Wiggle/TBC in future

ianv
    Free Member

As the tube will no longer work because a part that needed to be tightened up failed to do so properly, I would have thought it is reasonable to believe it was not fit for purpose and not unreasonable to expect a replacement.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I'd follow it up – defo – Maybe he was just trying to disuade you 🙂

Got some shorts from wiggle today and the waist seam was not stitched properly so they gone back £28 – money is money 🙂

The-Beard

If it's presta you can just put a new valve core in can't you?

BigDummy
    Free Member

Edited: – that core stuff is interesting. 🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

Its not really £7 as if you have to buy anohter of similar design is £14

BTW Neil I got 2 packets of DH tubes you can have but I am afraid they are Shraeder I think 🙂

The-Beard

Use a pair of pliers to unscrew the old core – pop a new one in – simple.

Can buy cores from CRC and the like or just nick one from an old busted tube – I always unscrew the core from old tubes before binning them. And I'm sure a presta valve is a presta valve – will be the same for a DH tube.

goog
    Free Member

you'll be better off asking an adult rather than posting on here

HTH

fbk
    Free Member

Goog – that's the most informative reply I've had on here for ages. Cheers 8)

I will investigate the core replacement option though.

Rich – I'll be in touch!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I think some people don't know which is which Presta/Schraeder…

The tool says "removable Presta cores" and I must admit I'd never heard of such a thing

fbk
    Free Member

SFB – some presta tubes do come with removable valve cores (Schwalbe I think) but generally I don't see how you could remove them. I think you're right, people are probably confusing the two?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

The top bit of he presta thread comes off, (the bit that isn't the same thread as the lock ring)

This doesn't work on all presta valves

13thfloormonk

dh tubes are false advertising anyway, weigh more and puncture just as easily

Maybe the ones you've bought in the past, but proper DH tubes weigh more because they are thicker rubber and higher volume, both of which will help prevent pinch flats (more rubber to pinch through, and the rubber is less stretched).

wwaswas

I'm still struggling to understand which bit the OP stripped? the little twiddly bit right at the top?

bigyinn
    Free Member

It doesnt matter HOW much the item is, you've paid for it and its not fit for purpose! Given its never been used, then i would hound them on principle. If they have 10 people who have the same issue, then thats £70 more that Ribble have got off punters. If you bought a frame and it had a crack in it before you even built it up then you'd be on the phone sharpish. Dont take no for an answer!
    Stick up for your rights as a consumer!

DezB
    Free Member

I bought a football in Asda for my son for £3. We played with it once and left it in the garden. In the morning it had gone soft.
    I'm still taking it back for a replacement.

uplink
    Free Member

I'd just call again & ask to speak to the manager & explain to him

Just point out that it would be a waste of everyone's time if you were forced into the position of officially rejecting the goods & instigating paypal disputes or involving credit card companies etc.

grumm
    Free Member

Has anyone pointed out yet that it's nowt to do with the manufacturer and their warranty – your contract is with the shop.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

and higher volume

isn't the volume determined by the tyre and (slightly) pressure ?

Jamie
    Free Member

I would just forgot it and move on….but then i bet £40 on Chile to beat Brazil 😐

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Ribble Cycles again : Does this sound reasonable to you?’ is closed to new replies.