Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Ribble cycles
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I just idly went on there and specced what looked like a nice carbon race bike with semi aero wheels and Ultegra, came out at about £1800!

Seems like unbelievable value for money – is there a catch? Any reason to pay more?

dunmail
    Free Member

Don’t think there’s a catch, I know plenty with Ribble bikes/frames and there doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with them. Really good value for money IMO.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Seems value for money but is it unbelievable? what sort of price are ultegra equipped carbon bikes from other manufacturers?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Jase
    Free Member

£1800 isn’t great seeing as you can get 2014 Ultegra bikes for the same e.g Scott Addict 10.

gatsby
    Free Member

The builds I’ve seen tend to have terrible tyres, cheap finishing kit. And a loooooong wait.

IME, their customer service often leaves a lot to be desired… Cheap though.

G

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m assuming the Ribble goes up to 11 though.

chakaping
    Free Member

Have you looked at canyon?

You’ll get your socks knocked off if you think Ribble are good vfm.

Jezkidd
    Free Member

Rose does one for sub £1600

molgrips
    Free Member

The builds I’ve seen tend to have terrible tyres, cheap finishing kit.

You can choose tyres and kit on the site.

I’m not much of a road bike shopper but it looks like the price point for solid nice bikes you could race on is much lower in road than MTB. Is that true? My bike feels nice, seems to have a decent frame but it came with 105 and cost me £1700 trade! That was 7 years ago though.

mrblobby
    Free Member

price point for solid nice bikes you could race on is much lower in road than MTB. Is that true?

Depends what you consider to be a “solid nice bike”. You can build up a pretty decent xc race bike for a grand and a half if you’re careful where you spend the cash and pick up a few bargains.

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

I have a Ribble and love it, although I do like the Canyons as they do on paper (to me that is) seem like better value for money.

Sancho
    Free Member

New Genesis look good for the money too

mrblobby
    Free Member

Second that Genesis. The Zero.3 for 1700 quid. You get 105, a half decent wheelset, and you get the same carbon frameset their pro team use.

nickc

I have a 872? as a winter alternative when “the mud is too much to bear for proper cycling” bike.

It was £1590, is carbon, has full Ultegra*, and middle of the road Kysirium wheels. There are builds like that elsewhere, but you won’t be able to spec. everything you want, and you can guarantee you’d have to compromise somewhere

Ride wells, much much stiffer than my old Principia (which was bloody stiff) but without the jarring. It’s a properly nice bike.

Get one

Oh forgot; the original bike they sent me had a crack in the chain-stay, a couple emails later, it was picked up and replaced no questions asked, they kept me informed all the way through the process, customer service was spot on

*everything, BB bearings, cables, all the mechs, everything, unlike some builds that are mostly…apart from ooh the chainset, that.

globalti
    Free Member

It’s a good business and dangerously close to where I live! Going in the other direction there’s The Fell in Whalley who sell a smaller range of similar equipment but with a different philosophy, Whalley being at the centre of the moneyed Ribble Valley and the start point for lots of weekend bike rides.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Ribble cycles’ is closed to new replies.